Chapter 42

Together
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Jay’s POV:

 

I knew I should’ve done my research on this company before I came for this interview. Why did I even bother coming here? God, who knew trying to change yourself for the better would result to meeting up with your ex-girlfriend and her current boyfriend who you detest? No wonder I felt a bad feeling about this. I glanced over at Kris. Ugh. I can’t even stand this guy’s face. How does he manage to steal Jessica’s heart? Makes me want to punch it again, but man, Jessica has gotten hotter ever since I saw her a month ago. A smirk appeared on my face as I eyed her.

My eyes locked onto her as she avoided my eye contact. She jumped a bit in her seat on Kris’s lap all of the sudden and faced him. I furrowed my eyebrows as I watched the two carefully and closely. They were whispering in each other’s ears before Jessica suddenly pecked his lips with a smile. What were they talking about? I wanted to know. Were they plotting something against me? Jessica wouldn’t do that to me, would she?

Kris cleared his throat. “Mr. Park, welcome. I’m Kris Wu, co-manager of this work floor along with Kai Kim.”

He reached his hand over the table as he stood up. I quickly stood up as well, shaking his hand. This guy is being professional and meant all business. Nice to know that he’s putting the past behind and giving me a chance. He must really need a new worker.

“Kai couldn’t be here at this moment due to personal errands so you’ll only be meeting me today. This is Jessica, my personal assistant for the day. She’ll be helping me with the interview.” He looked at Jessica with a smile before sitting back on his chair as Jessica kept standing next to him.

He seemed to be expecting something from her as he glanced up at Jessica with raised eyebrows. Jessica only gave him some kind of look. Are they communicating in some secret way?

“Nice to meet you two...again.” I mumbled as I made myself comfortable in the seat with a smirk on my face.

Kris’s head spun and faced me. “Let’s start the interview shall we, Mr. Park?” he gave a small smile before opening up my records and scanning his eyes through my résumé.

Great, now the man I despise the most in the entire universe gets to see and know everything about me, down to the littlest details. So much for wanting to change myself for the better. I’m sure I won’t get the job anyway, he wouldn’t want me around him or Jessica.

“So Mr. Park, what makes you want to apply for this position?” Kris asked seriously as he looked up at me, scanning my clothing I had on this afternoon with a raised eyebrows.

I looked down at my t-shirt and jeans before I glanced over at him in his white dress shirt. Right, forgot that it was business. Whatever.

“I thought I’d try out for it and try changing my routes in life. My friends suggested this ‘cause he heard a position was open. Needed a better job and my friend somehow set up this interview so I came.” I explained as I sat back comfortably on the chair I was on.

Kris glanced up at Jessica who was busy writing something down on her clipboard. She looked different and much more attractive with her little skirt and heels. y. I like it. I gave her a smirk as I eyed her up and down.

I heard a loud cough and peeled my eyes off of Jessica to see Kris glaring at me. This guy has a sharp stare. It’s not going to affect me, it ain’t that scary. If he thinks I’m going to back down, he’s dead wrong. Tension built up as I glared back at him. I wanted to let him know that I was determined to get Jessica. I want to take her back.

He broke his contact with me when Jessica held his hand. A smile appeared on his stupid face as he looked at her. I scoffed and shifted in my seat. Kris directed his attention back to me and started to continue with the rest of the interview as professionally as possible.

After many serious questions, he nodded for the last time and Jessica handed him a piece of paper. He glanced through my records and résumé one last time before looking at me. I’m expecting him to tell me to leave anytime soon. I did just fight back against him with my own glare.Besides, I was rarely even looking at his appalling face, Jessica was all I could manage to see. 

“Mr. Park, we are finished with the interview. If you could please step outside for a moment while I finalize a few things.” Kris spoke with his detestable voice.

I got up and stepped out of the office as his secretary made her way in and shut the door. It’s obvious that I’m not getting this job. Why does he even bother making me stay? Is he trying to embarrass me? Lingering outside, I slipped my hands in my jean pockets and leaned against the wall. Workers were giving me glances as they walked by busily. They all seemed so hardworking and professional, I would like to be the same as well.

Hearing muffled voices, I turned around and peeked through the window and into the office. The secretary’s back was facing me, talking seriously with Kris. Her body was nice, but not as great as Jessica’s. My eyes shifted off her and went to Jessica, who was sitting down on Kris’s lap as her hands were interlocked with his. My teeth gritted. It would’ve been me holding onto her if I didn’t decide to cheat on her. I couldn’t help it. Mistakes will be mistakes, Jessica wasn’t giving me what I needed at that time and I had to make do. I do regret it. It only made me realize that I needed her, emotionally, but that was after she left for good and disappeared in my life, leaving nothing behind.

Something caught my eyes as they remained glued to their entwined hands. A shiny object on her finger, Kris’s too. I blinked and realized that they were rings. Couple rings? Engagement ring? Wedding ring? That ring on Jessica’s finger would’ve been replaced by mine and matching with me if I hadn’t hurt her. We would’ve been wearing the couple rings she had gotten us, but instead she threw it at me and stormed off crying after yelling at me. I regret all of it. I regret everything that I did to hurt her. I want to start over with her, I want to gain her trust again and hopefully she can be with me. I just hope it’s not too late.

The conversation the secretary and Kris were having seemed quite serious, as if they were bickering. I saw Kris heave a sigh in defeat as Jessica blinked innocently. Kris’s mouth moved and the secretary turned around and smiled as she walked her way the door. I whipped my head away from the window and pretended that I wasn’t peeking at all.

“Mr. Park, you may head on back inside. Mr. Wu seems to have made up his mind.” The secretary escorted me back into the office and I sat back down in the chair in front of his table.

I gave a small smile at Jessica but she only looked down onto the table with disinterest. Her cold icy aura was back. I remember back when I first met her. She had the iciest, most sharp stare, making her look hard to approach but I took my chances at that time and I spoke to her. Little by little, I had melted her and she felt like the warmest person on Earth.

“Judging from your records and résumé, it seems that you don’t have much experience, Kris suddenly spoke, directing my attention away from Jessica’s face. “But since I know you want to better yourself and head onto a better road, so I’ll give you a trial period where you have a month to prove yourself to me with your capabilities and determination. I’ll judge everything on your actions and work. If I am not satisfied with your cooperation and you do not meet my expectations, I’m going to drop you. I’ll let you know my decision at the end of the month. Your decision to leave is valid the whole month.” Kris told me his deal. “What do you say?” he slid a contract over on the table.

My eyebrows rose. This guy really wants me to work under him? He must really be in need of a worker. I smirked and read over the contract. The deal was just as he stated. Nothing restricted me from leaving and I was free to walk off anytime. If I sign it, I’d have the opportunity to get back into Jessica’s life and possibly get a full time job here, but then I’d have to up to Kris and take his orders for a month, leaving me with a hard decision. Any form or shape of physical assault is absolutely prohibited. You will immediately be released and dropped. Your privilege to enter back into this company will be void. Those were the last few lines on the contract. I can suppress myself for a month. I’ll be near Jessica anyways.

I grabbed a pen off his desk and scribbled my signature on the bottom before handing the paper back to him with a smirk on my face. This guy doesn’t know what he got himself into. I’ll show him the best worker there is, secure my spot and then

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter