Chapter 52

Together
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

*Not sure if I posted this song before, but I'll put it anyways. Ailee is a wonderful singer. This song gives me goosebumps everytime I hear it. She's amazing ^^

 

 

 

 

Author’s POV:

 

The boys had left the house after deciding to invade someone else’s house for more food. SuHo’s property was chosen. Knowing that they’d be gone, Kris had encouraged them to raid SuHo’s house so they’d leave him alone with Jessica. When the boys left along with Tao, Kris gave a sigh of relief and felt the heavy babysitting job was off his shoulders. That was until Mommy Wu decided to walk through the door with a huge contented smile on her face. She had just come back from her spa treatment. There was absolutely no alone time at all.

Mommy Wu was sitting in the living room with Jessica and Kris, drinking her tea. “What did you two do today?” She asked Kris in mandarin. “You two were alone today~” she gave a grin.

Jessica sat beside Kris, still flipping through the dictionary, trying to memorize each word carefully, minding her own business.

“We went out.” Kris replied bluntly as he flipped through the channels on the television with a bored look.

“Really? Where did you guys go?” Mommy Wu asked another pointless question.

Kris stared at her as he replied slowly. “The bookstore and then out for lunch…” his eyes narrowed at his mother. “What are you trying to get at? You never ask casual questions unless you want to know something.”

Mommy Wu grinned, “My son knows me so well~”

 

 

Jessica’s POV:

 

Usually when Mommy Wu starts to speak mandarin, she would always be conversing with Kris, so I would mind my own business since I really didn’t understand at all. Seeming that I had just bought a dictionary and learned a few simple words from conversing with a few of the boys, I could make out just the basic words they’d be using. I couldn’t understand their whole sentences because it was complicated and they spoke too fast.

“Mā, nǐ yǒu shé me yào wèn ma?” Kris replied.

I blinked and kept my eyes on the dictionary, trying to mind my own business. I was tempted to look up what they were talking about, but that would be impolite and an invasion of privacy. They were speaking in a different language for a reason.

“Shénme dōu méiyǒu. Wǒ zhǐshì xiǎng zhīdào, rúguǒ nǐmen liǎ shì rènhé dōngxi.” Mommy Wu spoke.

I glanced up to see Kris giving her an unamused look. When he caught me looking at him, I gave a smile and looked back down onto the book on my lap.

“Zhǐshì wèn wǒ, nǐ xiǎng zhīdào shénme.” Kris responded.

Biting my lip, I felt like their conversation was interesting. I wanted to know what they were talking about and be a part of it. I didn’t want to be left out and awkwardly sitting in the same room while they talk to each other comfortably.

“Nǐmen liǎng gè zuò shénme?” Mommy Wu asked with a big grin on her face.

My hands naturally flipped the pages of the dictionary to find out what they were saying. I felt bad for doing so, but it wouldn’t hurt to know, right? If it were something private, I would just stop translating and mind my own business.

‘Did you two do anything?’ was what Mommy Wu had just asked. Do anything? Did she mean what we did today? I guess this was just a normal conversation they were having. Maybe Mommy Wu was just more comfortable speaking in mandarin.

“Shénme dōu méiyǒu.” Kris replied bluntly again. Nothing.

“Aigoo, Nǐmen méiyǒu zuò rènhé shìqíng ma?” Mommy Wu let out a small breath. “Shì hàixiū qǐdòng tā, yīnwèi wǒ zài zhèlǐ? Duì bùduì? Bùyòng dānxīn, wǒ zànchéng! Ràng wǒ de sūnzi!”

I blinked frantically at her long and fast talking, but I managed to get her last sentence. I flipped through the dictionary calmly to prevent loud noises that’d make me look like I was eavesdropping on their conversation. ‘Ràng wǒ de sūnzi…’ I repeated to myself over and over again in my head as I searched up the words.

My eyes widened as I finished translating the sentence. ‘Make me some grandchildren.’ I froze in my seat as I stared blankly at the dictionary. Nothing could process correctly in my brain. I never knew Mommy Wu would be like this.

“Mā! Bù tíng de tánlùn tā!” Kris shouted back.

I felt as if I shouldn’t continue to translate their conversation because this was getting really weird and awkward, but I continued to look up what Kris had said, because honestly, I really wanted to know what he thinks of this. He wouldn’t try anything on me when I’m not ready right?

‘Mom, stop talking about it.’ What did Kris mean by that? I stared absentmindedly at the words on the dictionary.

Mommy Wu was about to say something Kris cut her off. “I don’t want to talk about it anymore!” he groaned in English as he reverted his eyes back to the television screen.

“Aigoo, fine!” Mommy Wu put down her cup of tea onto the coffee table. “Jessi,” she got up from the couch and grabbed my arm, guiding me to stand up as well, pulling me out of my daze. “Let’s go.”

“Hm? Go where?” I asked as she pulled me out of the living room. I glanced back at Kris, who was wide eyed, watching Mommy Wu’s every move.

Mommy Wu linked arms with me and guided me upstairs, into my own bedroom. I gave her a confused look.

“What are we doing here?” I questioned as she sat me down on my bed.

She couldn’t answer my question as Kris shuffled into the room with the same confused face. “What are you planning to do mom?” he folded his arms and leaned against the doorframe.

Mommy Wu waved her hand. “Come here.” She ordered Kris. “Now.” She motioned him over with a serious expression.

Trailing his way over, Kris sat down next me and we looked up at Mommy Wu who was pacing herself around the room. Was she mad? What was wrong?

Suddenly, Mommy Wu ran out of the room, shutting the door behind her. She shouted from outside, “I’m only helping you two! If you step a foot out here, I’m going to take extreme measures! I mean it! I can throw mean punches!”

My eyes widened and Kris did the same.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter