Chapter 67

Together
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Author’s POV:

 

“Noona! Are you better yet?” Tao stared at her across the dining table with concerned eyes.

Jessica smiled and nodded her head. “I’m feeling better. I could probably go back to work tomorrow. My head doesn’t hurt anymore.”

Tao grinned before digging though his backpack on the floor.

“Yah…what are you doing?” Kris questioned. “Stop fooling around and eat your dinner.” He instructed with a bored face.

“Here, Noona!” Tao handed her a lollipop. “Congratulations on getting better!!” he cheered with his hands up.

Jessica giggled from his adorable actions. “Thank you, Tao.” She held onto the lollipop gently as she waved it around happily.

Kris only gave a small smile to Jessica’s cute movements and continued eating, as Tao caught Jessica up with his daily life. From his mornings without seeing her, to how his school days went. Tao even went into details. It was as if he hadn’t seen his Noona in a month. The panda was excited just speaking to her.

Resting in the living room after dinner, the panda still hasn’t stopped talking. Even after turning on the television, he would just continue to move his mouth. Tao was pretty hyper today. Due to his excessive talking, Kris eventually tuned him out and concentrated on flipping through the channels, nothing grabbing his attention.

Seeing that Jessica was actively listening to Tao, Kris excused himself to go upstairs and shower. He had to get away sooner or later.

Taking big strides, he closed the door to the bedroom and let out a sigh before coughing out to his hearts content. It didn’t show, but Kris was currently sick with a high fever and cough. He’s had it for a couple days already as he spent it with Jessica. He has been hiding it from everyone in the house, not wanting Jessica to know that he has caught her fever. He didn’t want everyone feeling worried for him, not when he has to take care of Jessica. He wanted to make sure that she was fully recovered before he could wither in his own sickness.

Making his way over to the nightstand, he took out a fever reducer pill and quickly swallowed it. Kris hasn’t been able to take any medication, not wanting Jessica to be suspicious. He’d been secretive and cautious of his movements lately, trying to seem as healthy and normal as possible.

Grabbing his clothes, he sighed groggily before entering the bathroom to wash up. All he wanted to do now was sleep and rest his eyes, not wanting to feel so muzzy.

Humming to herself, Jessica skipped into her bedroom and realized that Kris was already taking a shower. Shrugging her shoulders, she grabbed her large tote bag off the floor and decided to pack her necessities for tomorrow since she decided it was time to walk back into the office and save Tiffany from drowning in the busy workload.

Stuffing her regular items in, she saw that the last thing she needed were the files that Tiffany had given to her to look over while she was recovering from her fever. She never got to look through them. Dropping her bag to the floor, she plopped herself down on her white bench in front of her vanity table. She needed to know what was going on at work tomorrow, might as well start now. 

There was a silence in the room; only the soft pitter-patter of water was heard as the water was still running from Kris’s shower. Jessica was reading through the manila colored file with all focused attention.

When the sound of running water abruptly stopped, Jessica glanced up, noticing how quiet it was. Hearing raspy and hoarse coughing, sounding horribly ill, Jessica’s eyebrows furrowed and locked her eyes on the bathroom door. It sounded like Kris.

“Oppa~” Jessica knocked on the door. “Are you okay?” she asked with a worried tone.

Kris jerked back from the sink, alarmed. He didn’t know that Jessica came upstairs, otherwise he would’ve kept his mouth shut.

“Y-Yeah.” Kris stuttered, trying to think of an excuse as to why he was coughing. “J-Just choked on my saliva.” he fabricated and cleared his throat.

“Oh…” Jessica replied. “Be careful. You’re so clumsy, Oppa.” She giggled and shuffling of feet could be heard walking away from the door.

Letting out a silent sigh, Kris’s shoulder deflated as he leaned against the sink counter. It was only so hard to suppress coughs, but he did so anyways. Jessica’s health was important to him and he wanted to make sure she gets and feels better before making her worry about him. He didn’t want her to think that it was her fault for making him sick either. He did feel apologetic for his lies but it would be better in the end, wouldn’t they?

Turning back around, he picked up his toothbrush and quickly worked on his dental hygiene, wanting to sleep already. He had work tomorrow as well, he wasn’t in the mood to stay awake anymore. Drying his hair off with the towel, he then stepped out into the bedroom and headed straight for the bed, not bothering to see what Jessica was doing on her vanity table.

Wrapping himself underneath the duvet, Kris rested his head on the pillow and shut his eyes immediately. A breath of contentment came out as he relaxed himself and felt extremely glad to be resting on the mattress right now.

Jessica only blinked and kept her focus on Kris. She’s never seen him like this before. He would usually stick to her side until she got tired and then go to bed together.

“Oppa, you’re going to bed already?” she asked curiously and glanced at the time. “It’s only eight thirty.”

Kris rolled to his side and opened his eyes to look at her. “Yeah, I’m tired.” He gave a small smile before patting the empty space next to him, gesturing her to come and sleep as well. “Come accompany me, Aegi~”

Jessica’s lips arched into a smile. “Let me wash up first.” She pranced over to her closet before running into the bathroom.

Watching the bathroom door close, Kris yawned tiredly. Hearing the water running, Kris took this chance to let out his cough as he flipped the duvet over his head, trying to be quiet as possible. He groaned and held his head, feeling his head pummel painfully from the force of the cough. Resting on the pillow, he shut his eyes and tried to relax again, not liking the head pain at all. Sticking the thermometer into his mouth, he checked his temperature. 110.8 degrees. Kris sighed and rolled to his side, after tossing the thermometer back onto the nightstand. He felt his body extremely warm, but continued to ignore it.

Minutes flew by and Jessica sauntered her way out of the bathroom and slipped herself beside Kris on the bed, immediately cuddling herself in his arms. Jessica glanced up at him and peck on the cheek as a way of saying goodnight. Getting no response, Jessica pursed her lips. He must be really tired today.

Next morning came and Jessica happily woke up, feeling good. She jumped off the bed and made her way towards the bathroom when she stopped in her tracks. That’s odd. Kris would usually hug onto her and prevent her from leaving the bed every morning, without fail.

Walking back towards the bed, she hovered over the still sleeping Kris. “Oppa…” she interlocked their hands lightly.

Kris stirred in his sleep, humming in response.

“Kris, are you okay?” Jessica asked seriously, full of concern and worry.

“I’m fine.” Kris replied, his voice hoarse and deeper than usual.

Jessica stared at him with wide blinking eyes. Kris caught sight of her expression and immediately sat up on the bed. His head banged with excruciating pain and he hugged onto her for comfort, burying his head into her neck.

“Kris, are you sick?” she asked, his hair softly.

He shook his head, still cuddling himself into her neck. He denied it, lying to her again. Kris wanted to speak up. He wanted to say that he was sick. That his head was hurting and that his fever was above the roof, but he didn’t, fully aware that Jessica wasn’t completely healthy. She still had a slight fever as well.

“Are you sure?” she questioned. “You’re feeling very warm.”

Kris nodded his head. “I’m fine.” He spoke gruffly before trying to clear his throat. “Go shower.” He gave a reassuring smile planting a soft kiss on her cheek.

Jessica gave a grin before Kris turned her around and gave her a light push towards the bathroom. She shuffled her way in obediently.

He rubbed his eyes, wanting to wake himself. His eyes just wanted to stay shut. He hated the symptoms of this virus. With every little movement, his head would hurt. His chest felt congested, wanting to cough all the time. He just hated being sick right now. He just couldn’t imagine how Jessica had dealt with this. It was really painful and tiring.

 

~~

 

Dropping Jessica off on the twenty third floor along with Tiffany, Kris only gave them a wave before the elevator doors shut. Jessica frowned at the lack of affections she received from him, but Tiffany pulled her into the office without letting her wander on.

Reaching the fifth floor, Kris made his way through the office without acknowledging anyone. He wasn’t in the mood to talk. His head was clouded and his facial expression told it all. Dragging his tired body into his office, he let the glass door shut before he dropped all his things on the floor. He slumped into his office chair and buried his head into his arms as he hunched over on his desk.

Three minutes flew by with silence until the glass door flung open again. Kris heard the faint steps of heels on the carpet but kept hi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter