Chapter 73

Together
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Jessica’s POV:

 

Days flew by and our anniversary was just tomorrow. Kris still didn’t utter a single word of it, not even the fact that he’d be going over to the boys’ place on the day of. I had my questions, but they just wouldn’t sputter out when I wanted them to. I would end up freezing up in front of Kris and he would just chuckle at me, thinking it was cute.

Everyday, as if it was a ritual, Kris would always decline the offer to go to lunch with me. He would apologize and said he’d make up for it later. The same words repeated over and over again through my phone the past few days, making me upset and end up working without any food in my stomach.

Even on our days off, Kris would leave me alone, saying that he has to head off somewhere. When I asked him where he would be going, he just gave me a simple answer. Lay’s house.

It came to the point where I was really convinced that Kris forgot about our anniversary and I would end up tearing up from time to time. But all the gloom and unhappiness would whisk away when Kris would come home and the end of the day and made everything better. His fluttery kisses, his hugs, his warmth, the pain would just disappear as quick as a second. It would make me forgive him at the end of the day, but the hurt would start all over again when he would act the same the very next day. He was completely unaware and distant from me.

The next day came and I was completely blank, something I’ve gotten used to being over the past days Kris has been acting strangely. I expected the same thing today. Go to work together, Kris showing me affections on the way and then drop me off at the twenty-third floor before disappearing from my presence for the whole day.

And of course, that’s exactly what Kris did. It was as if he didn’t have time for me anymore and that something else had corrupted his mind. I was no longer important to him anymore. It took a stab at my heart, even if I didn’t want to think of it. Even if Kris has been strange lately, I still manage to keep my head held up high and try by best to feel happy. I was already lucky to have Kris by my side and I have to accept the fact that he can’t always be right next to be every single second.

“Fany~” My voice was soft, almost a mere whisper as I made my into Tiffany’s office.

Tiffany looked up from her desk with arched eyebrows. “What is it, Sica?”

“Let’s go get coffee or something.” I really wanted to tell her what I was feeling lately.

“We just clocked in though.” Fany blinked at me in surprise.

I was fully aware that we just walked into our offices just ten short minutes ago, but I just wasn’t in the mood to touch my work. I wasn’t in the mood to do anything but sleep. To sleep all the insecurities I’ve been getting from Kris all away.

Directing my eyes down on to the carpeted floor, I took her reply as a ‘no,’ that one response that I’ve been getting much too recently from Kris. “It’s okay then, I’ll just go by myself.” I turned my heels and was about to step out of Tiffany’s office.

“Wait.” Tiffany’s voice suddenly rang. “I’ll go with you.” She quickly grabbed her bag before running to my side.

I gave her a small grateful smile before my lips dropped back down to it’s straight line of no emotion. My eyes locked onto the floor as I walked, something I’ve never done before, but seemed more and more frequent as days passed.

“Sica, what’s wrong? Your eyes look so blank.” Tiffany held onto my face as we were on the lift, making our way down the building. “Is it Kris?”

It was as if she read my mind. My eyes met hers when she mentioned his name. Judging from her facial expression, Tiffany had caught on. She was about to speak until the elevator doors slid open and we made our way out to the café in the lobby.

There was never much people in the beginning of the day, since everyone was busy with their work after making it in on time. Quickly placing our orders, Tiffany then dragged me with her to sit at the corner of the small warm café.

“Jessica, there’s nothing wrong. He still loves you just as much, why are you doubting that?” Tiffany tried to encourage me.

My shoulders deflated. “He’s not the same. He’s changed. He doesn’t have time for me anymore. He doesn’t remember our anniversary either.” My eyes landed on the matte wooden table in between us.

Tiffany let out a deep breath. “I’m one hundred percent sure that Kris did NOT forget. Jessica, you need to believe in him. Just because someone acts differently for a couple days, doesn’t mean he doesn’t love you. He still gives you affection and still loves you just as much as he did in the beginning, maybe even more.” She held my hand, reassuringly. “I can guarantee my whole life that Kris has different intentions and remembers your anniversary. I’m literally serious and can bet my life on that.”

She seemed too confident of her answer. Did she know something I didn’t?

“Fany, how are you so sure?” I questioned, wanting to see if she was hiding something from me.

Tiffany’s eyes shifted around. She knows something.

“Tell me, Fany. Did Kris say something to you?” I pushed on, trying to get the answer out of her.

Just then, the barista called out our orders and Tiffany shot up from her seat to retrieve our drinks. I was definitely going to press her. I was determined to get an answer from her. What was Kris up to?

As I waited patiently for Tiffany to come back, my eyes wandered out the glass windows of the café, seeing the sidewalk. I was about to look away when something grasped my attention. A familiar lean figure standing on the sidewalk, as if waiting for somebody. My eyes narrowed when I e

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter