Like a Skyscraper

ToHave & ToHold
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter


I wish you were here

----

 

 

Season 2 Premiere: Like a Skyscraper

 

 

           

 

 

.:Cambridge, United Kingdom-

 

 

 

"Where are you residing?"

 

"West Cambridge, what about you?"

 

"Really? I am too."

 

"That's great! What dorm?"

 

"Hmm... H7. You?"

 

"Uh... H1."

 

Boa stops upon hearing the dorm. "You serious? almost every student in that dorm are aces... "

 

Yoong awkwardly smile as he nods. Right, he's an ace even before. Though his girlfriend would always top, he's still consider as the smartest one.

 

"Wow. This is the first time I actually encounter an ace student. It was nice meeting you Mister Im" Boa bows as a respect.

 

"Oh no. Please, it's okay. Just treat me like your... "

 

"Uh... Hey! excuse me?"

 

Just as Yoong about to give Boa a disapproval hands, two asian students suddenly barge in and interrupted their conversation. Yoong turns to face the two intruders.

 

“Oh we were sorry, but… uh… we were actually looking for this.” the girl with the bangs, wearing head phone, eye glasses and winter hat, was the first one to answer. She shows the piece of paper to the doe-eyed guy and pointed the picture in it.

 

Yoong and Boa both arch their eyebrows. What’s in the paper seems to be the same place with them.

 

“Are you girls new student too?” Boa asked in confirmation, using her full English skill.

 

The two girls nods enthusiastically. “Yes! Yes!”

 

“Wait… “ Boa quickly opens her bag and pulled out a seem to be records for new students. Yoong just on the side, waiting for the latter to continue her talk.

 

“Hmm… Let’s see… “ The older girl scans and flips pages until she have seen the picture of these two strangers.

 

“Omo wait Suzy.” The black haired girl realizes something.

 

“Eh?

 

“Umm… you must be… “she leans in closely to the older girl, somehow getting a clue of why such this girl have some records of students. “No! You are… “

 

Boa looks up with raising eyebrows once again. “You two are… Krystal and Suzy, right? The two students who didn’t came in attendance earlier at the tour?” Boa pointed to the two respectively.

 

Yoong shot an innocent look to the two girls but just stayed silent.

 

“I knew it!!! You were Kwon Boa Unnie? Oh my gosh. We are so sorry!!!” the black haired girl quickly pulled her best friend to follow her upon bowing in apologizes. “We lost our way here!!! we are so sorry.”

 

Boa sighed in defeat. “You two seems to be freshmen. Okay, I will pass this. Get up now.”

 

Suzy and Krystal comply immediately, but still looking down in shame.

 

Seeing the two girl’s faces, Boa offers her help. “Now, let me give me your way there.”

 

“Chincha?”

 

“Yes! Because, I and this guy over here have the same route. Come on, follow us.”

 

Boa said, before she leads the three new students to West Cambridge.

 

On the side note, the doe-eyed guy was having a relief smile throughout the scene earlier. 

He took a glance to his side, just to see the two girls giggling. He snaps and quickly avoided their stares with him. Shaking his head, he also blinks for a few times, just to get rid how those stares landed on him. He can hear some whispers but it’s not really clear. For some unknown reason, he smiles unconsciously. Those were stares of innocent as he can describe it. And before he knew it, his mind reminds of someone back in Korea.

 

“I miss them.” he mutter with a little smile.

 

--

 

After some sort of 30 minutes of walking through the peace environment of West Cambridge, they soon arrive into this modern dorm.

 

It’s the H1 dorm.

 

--

 

Yoong’s POV

 

Finally, we arrive. These two girls on my side are really noisy along the way, but not actually the 2nd girl. She’s just seemed to resemble someone for me, but I can’t point it out. Anyway, I just have to walk on lead them now, since both of them have the same dorm with me.

 

“Which room?” I asked them and this bangs girl answers.

 

“407.”

 

“I see… “ I nod and lead them to the 4th  floor.  407, that means we’ll be neighbor with rooms. Mine is 406. What a co incidence eh?

 

Along the way, we met some new and old students as well. Mostly were wearing eyeglasses as expected from ace students. There are some lawyers, musicians, artists, and lot more. But I can see mostly lawyers are ace students. There were only few of them who took medicines, base from their uniforms.

 

“Oh! Hey Oppa.”

 

Suddenly, I heard one of them said in korean which took me by surprise. Yes, they look Asians but I couldn’t really hear them earlier talking in Korean.

I stop and slowly turned to them. “What have… you said?” I asked them, doesn’t really know who called me though.

 

“you are… Korean too?” This black haired girl asked in surprised. I just nod nonchalantly.

 

“Serious?”

 

She seems to be nosy.

 

“Yeah, I am. So you two are Koreans Huh?” I just asked simply.

 

“Yes we are!!”

 

And they're really noisy. I will be having a disturbance of my studies here. I bet.

 

“Okay… “ I just chuckle and resumes our walk to the corridor of 4th floor.

 

“So… Oppa, what’s your name? I am Suzyl and this is… “

 

“Krystal.” They just followed along while I really don’t care to have a share of stare on them. I just didn’t care and just walk and walk without words.

 

“Come on Oppa, what’s your name? Asians should really be friendly towards each other.” I think it was Suzy who said it as I stop finally to their room.

 

I turned and look at them. They seemed to be good though. Innocent for my eyes and I could really tell how they wanted some friends here. Well, not bad. I only have two friends so far here, So I guess, this will do.

 

“Im Yoong… “ I held out my hand and this Suzy girl was the first one to grab my hand.

 

“Suzy… “ she said but before she could utter another word, the other girl quickly grabs mine and shook it.

 

“Krystal.” She said and I smile at her.

 

“Nice name.” I mutter as a response, before I motioned them to open their door. They complied and I immediately left them without anymore words.

 

I stop on my door and unlocks it when a hand taps me behind. It freezes me. I know this hand too well.

 

“Mister Im, you have a package from your mother.”

 

I knew it. It came from my mother’s assistant which is actually her ears from everything I’ve been through here. I bet, my mother is out in the country again.

 

“Here.” I nonchalantly just grab the package and quickly step inside the room with a slam of the door. The thing in my hand is surely another thing to make me behave here, even for the fact that I am doing good and never ever been calling in Korea.

 

“How long will she treats me like this?” I hissed and can’t longer hold it and just tossed aside the package in my coffee table before I drop my body to the couch. Closing my eyes, I breathed so heavily, thinking of calming down my nerves.

This is how it goes, everytime I can hear mother’s package, I end up clenching and controlling the emotions inside me. Because, once my mother would appear or have these things to me, I find myself remembering the person behind all of these things.

 

The person who I have been missing so much now.

 

My girlfriend, Hyunnie.

 

 

Flashback…

 

Opening my eyes, I witnessed as my surroundings are getting so fast. I don’t know why is it like this, but as I look around more, I find my mother on my side. She was talking to her phone.

 

Before I knew it, she shouted.

 

“Hurry, they’re coming!” that was the first and last words I’ve heard before my heart tightens. I couldn’t take it and slowly, I close my eyes once again. I should’ve asked what’s going on, but my heart wouldn’t take it and I end up losing my conscious once again.

 

----

 

I don’t know why but I find myself waking up again. This time, in a white room. I remember I was being pushed in a rush by some doctors and mom was on my side. I seriously don’t get this. Where are the others? My girlfriend should’ve been in my side, but it was empty. This white room wasn’t really the same as some other hospitals out there. It looks like a house for me. Where am I really?

 

 “Hyun… “ I attempted to call out loud but it end up such a lower voice.

Hyun? Where are you? I should’ve fight from those men who beat me. I wouldn’t have end up here, being tied with this dextrose. Some bandages on my right arm and my upper body is seriously giving me a hard time to breath.

 

Thinking of getting up, I slowly get up but…

 

“Ugh!!!” I wince in pain once I felt my right arm. It was too painful that I need to lay back on my bed. To my curiosity, I slowly turned to my right and find it bleeding. “Damn!” I cursed once I’ve seen it. My right arm was being cut. I thought they did some operation on this.

 

“Doctor!!! Finally!!! He’s awake!!!” I snap when I heard someone from outside screams.

 

Wait… am I sleeping for how long now? Does that mean, I’ve been sleeping ever since I got beaten? Is it? No way!

 

“Yah!!! Hyunnie!!! Where are you?” I shouted in attempt to see my girlfriend walking inside but none would do, only some nurses who just came in quickly check on me.

 

“Yah! nurse? Where’s my girlfriend? Wheres... Hyunnie?” I was desperate to find her.

 

“Mister Im stay calm.” Two nurses hold me by my shoulder when I attempted to get up. But I wouldn’t care. I need to apologize to my girlfriend. I know I’ve been giving her worries now.

 

“Please, bring me to my girlfriend first. Or just call her for me. I wanted to see her!!!” I scream and scream but they didn’t bother as well.

 

My breathing is becoming hard for me again the more I give them begs. My right arm is too painful which will make me wince from time to time.

 

“Please. I beg you. I wanted to see my girlfriend. HYUN!!! WHERE ARE YOU? I’M AWAKE NOW!!! PLEASE COME INSIDE!!!”

 

“TAEYEON NOONA!!! HYUNG!!! JESSICA NOONA, FANY NOONA!!! WHERE ARE YOU GUYS???”

 

Thud.

 

“Where… am I… really? Where… are they?” I asked the nurses, catching my breaths. But they didn't care to answer.

 

I’m totally broken here.

 

--

 

5 months passed…

 

I was being drive by my mother. I know by this time, I wasn’t in Korea anymore. The houses are in old style and few are moderns as we passed every streets. I can see foreigners in my eyes along the street.

I never said anything to my mom once I’ve known that she have stolen me away from them. I was confused at first why she did this such things but once she told me she only wanted to give a bright future for me, I got nothing to do and just wanted to give what she wants.

But as I’ve thought of being away from my girlfriend, I wanted to talk about the scholarship I wanted her to do.

 

“Mom, can you give what I’ve requested?” I asked not looking at her side.

 

I was met by silence for good seconds, before I heard her saying… “I’m sorry son. I couldn’t. Hyun is not part of my plans. You guys should move on from your lives. Who knows, the two of you will still—“

 

“Enough words mom. I get it. You don’t like her for me.”

 

“No, I like her for you son. It’s just that… “

 

“Her family? I thought you are not like the others?”

 

“It’s not like that. Once I’ve heard that you are helping her family, I couldn’t take and just—“

 

“Selfish.”

 

Suddenly the car shrieks to stop, and I was a little bit thrown, thank god and I am wearing seatbelt. I think I just told her the worst word she could receive. But who cares? I’m just telling the truth. I hate her so much. She stole me away from them just because of how I've been changing because of Hyun? It's not like I'm going to replace her from Hyun. 

 

I heard her scoff before she looks at my direction which I don’t care to return.

 

“Yoong… I only wanted to see you graduate in such a prestigious school. Why can’t you understand?”

 

I was taken aback. But who would I care? I only wanted a simple life, not like this. She’s killing me.

 

--

 

A month later, I am still as hard as a rock. I don’t want to see her in my room, so I end up throwing away the things towards her. Giving her a lot of hurting words that she should deserve. She was too unfair. How come she did this without my conscious? That just too unfair.

 

I keep doing the same thing until Christmas breaks, winter breaks and up until now. I am still as cold towards her. I know I'm like bad here, but I don't want to be as good child anymore. I've been following her orders ever since. I wanted to get out.

 

--

 

Months passed and I’m getting homesick really hard. I keep on calling Hyun’s name in my sleep. Keep thinking about how is she doing, did she eat on time? Did she still wake up on 7am. Because I really miss waking up with her. I am getting use to see her almost every day. But I know it will never happen anymore. I wonder if she feels the same way? The same emptiness in my heart?

I miss you so much baby. I really do. I hope you are celebrating our first anniversary the same time with me right now.

The piece of paper that you gave to me is giving me a reason to stay strong to this loneliness. I keep on thinking about you by staring over the brightest star I could see here in my place. Like what you said to the poem. I will be your only star. Forever be your star... baby.

 

“Baby… please wait for me. I’ll be back.”

 

 

--

 

 A year later…

 

When it was the time for me to go back to school, she sends me in University of Cambridge and deploys some bodyguards for me not to escape. It wasn’t enough, as she also cut off my credit cards, my documents from South Korea, she also keep it. My phone was being replaced, and only her number was in my phone. She will only give me packages for food and everything I need for school.

 

How cruel right? But I’m starting to get use.

 

I should just wait until I can find a way how to get out this place.

 

But how?

 

End of flashback…

 

--

 

Normal POV

 

Yoong heaved a deep sighed upon remembering the times when he needed to avoid a lot of stares from his mother. Now that he’s in a dorm leaving alone, he can now see a little bit of freedom. He only has his laptop for him to enjoy some of his girlfriend’s photos. It's just too lucky enough that his mother didn't keep his laptop as well.

 

“It would’ve been better if this laptop has a wifi. This is really war.” He can’t help but to giggle once he realizes that his mac book was being cut off by the University’s broadband and the wifi access.

 

Once he opens his mac book, a smile formed into his lips. “Baby, why so cute, eh?” he giggles, pinching the monitor of his laptop, as if the monitor would respond.

 

Glancing to his side, he witness as the clock says… 6:00pm.

 

“No wonder I am so hungry now.” Mumbling, he gets up and reach for his phone. But as he realized it, he quickly retracted back and instead entered the kitchen.

 

“For a year… I’ve been eating a lot of hot dogs. Hmm… let me do some fish this time.” he opens his freezer and find some good fish inside.

 

“This will do.” he quickly put the plastic bag of fish in the counter and quickly went back to his living room, searching for his guide book.

 

“Where was that?”

 

He keeps on searching and searching around until he got nothing. “Where did I place it?” He hissed after having a minute of search.

 

Knock.Knock.Knock.

 

“Sir? You need something?”

 

His bodyguard knocks on the door, which he quickly answers… “My guide book was lost.” He said in fluent english, opening his door.

 

His two bodyguards quickly step inside and search for his lost book.

 

After 15 minutes passed…

 

“Oh! thanks.” Yoong thank and pushes his bodyguards out his room almost immediately. Once he got his lost book, he proceeds to his kitchen and grabs everything that is being said inside his guide book.

 

“Fish fillet. I think this is good.” He giggles with his own antics and started following all the instructions.

 

-----

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter