The Gift of Life

ToHave & ToHold
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Slowly, one exhaust man got up in difficulties. His leg that was still shaking, is giving him much time as He tried to be strong. Yet, He dropped his knees back to the cold floor.

 

"Doctor Im, what are we going to do?"

 

He slowly lifted his head, meeting the doctor's eyes. He didn't answer. He motioned him to stay for a while, casually. 

 

"Um, what I mean is that... your son. Are we going to cremate him? Or-"

 

"Leave it to me first." Yoong muttered, as He tried to get up again. This time, he supported himself through the edge of the bed. The white cloth that was covering Taemin, made him bitterly smile the moment He had another look.

 

He loss him, He knows. But somehow, he wishes, He was just playing around. That it's just another naughty act from his son.

 

Unfortunately, It's the reality. He saw the accident and He wasn't prepared of that. It happened so fast, surprised him.

 

Yet, He needed to accept the truth.

 

Still shaking, He reach out for the cloth, He slowly pulled it off, only to see his face again. His innocent face that made his heart torn into pieces.

 

He break down and dropped his head to Taemin's chest. For the last time, He held him up, burrying his face in his neck, as he continue to mourn of his loss.

 

Taemin who has been giving him headaches, but at the same time, smile, is now gone. He couldn't believe at the incident, yet, it's the reality. It's the reality that indeed, life is short. It's just too sudden and surely shocked him. But, isn't it like that? You'll never know what will happen next.

 

"Taemin, let's meet again son. Papa, love you so much." Mumbling, he slowly pulled over, just so He can see his solemn face. It feels so strange; feel like he is just sleeping, still breathing. But the deep wound He got from the accident on his head, made it sense that he can no longer see his eyes open.

 

He cupped his face, leaning forward to press his quivering lips to his forehead. Again, He cried. He cried hard for the first time.

 

He is not his real father, but he felt He was. He have loved him over the past years. 

 

It is easy to leave someone than to loss them completely.

 

Yoong ought to realized. 

 

Indeed They loss him, but the memories will always stay; and it will remain alive right in their hearts.

 

"Until then, Taemin. Papa and Mommy will surely Miss you." He whispered, as He held both his hands firmly. "Taemin, Papa will promise to be a better father for BaekHyun and Yoobin. I will take care of them like I did also to you. Papa will also promise that no matter what, I am not going to give headaches to your Mommy. I will not hurt her anymore unlike from the past. I will be a better lover, husband and father of our twins. You will like that, right?” He also added.

 

Placing his smooth palms in his cheeks, Yoong continued while sniffling. “Forgive Papa…son.”

 

Suddenly, as He continue to cry, he was disturbed when his phone vibrated again. He reluctantly, carefully put Taemin's head down, as He decided to take the phone call.

 

Yoong took a deep breath, wiped his tears, as He also make more breathing exercise just to calm him down. Until when He got cleared his throat and self, He answered the call.

 

"Hyung~"

 

[I got your message. Is that true?] 

 

"Yes." He answered, timidly.

 

There was a pause for a moment before Yul answered back. [I'm sorry to hear that. Tell me where are you? I'll take care of that.]

 

Rubbing his nose, Yoong took another deep breath as He decided to pulled over the white cloth--covering Taemin's body again. "I'm at Myeondung Hospital. How's everything there?"

 

[Aigoo... Seohyun just took her nap. Doctor Kwang will visit her again later midnight. Your twins are in the nursery... while your mother is there to process the twin's files. Don't worry also because Taeyeon and Tiffany are in task to look after your wife, it's just that... you need to get back asap because Seohyun is really waiting for you to come back. But Yoong, How will you tell her?]

 

Yoong let out an exhaust exhale. "Hyung..."

 

[Hmm?]

 

"Am I bad? Because, I almost forgot about Taemin. It was a mistake. I didn't see it coming, I was excited to buy that mini bus toy for Seohyun, that it leads me to neglect my son." Yoong paused. "I only think is that-"

 

[Yoong, don't be.]

 

Slowly, He hang his head low. The pain, is still unbearable for him, as He keep his silent.

 

[Everything was done, not intentionally. It wasn't some else' fault.  You got me?]

 

Yoong simply nodded, closing his eyes. He breathed calmly, but heavily inside his heart. He keep on holding the phone, listening to Yul's voice.

 

[You know I think you should be glad also that your twins, BaekHyun and Yoobin was safely delivered to the world. As Your wife is in very good condition.]

 

"Yeah, I know." Yoong simply whispered.

 

[Bro, don't think Taemin's leave to this world has no porpose? No, I thought that He came to your life because He wanted to have a real family he never had. And you guys did a good job on that. You and Seohyun were great parents to him. There's is no such thing that I didn't see him happy. You may never know, but I know He was always thankful to have you guys as his parents. Think of it, Taemin may have left, but Yoobin and BaekHyun was born to let you know the beginning of life... again. You have your family still, Yoong. Be strong. Just how many dramas you've encountered? This may be the most hurtful, but I know you and Seohyun will pass this. You guys are the greatest warior in your own. .]

 

A small smile crept into Yoong's lips, after hearing such positive comment from his best friend. It made him feel at ease after hearing those warming words from him. "Hyung, thank you."

 

[Be thankful to Taemin. He didn't failed me also from seeing you happy during the time that He was still with us. I was actually looking over him, every time so]

 

Slowly lifting his head up high. Yoong opened his eyes, just so He can see the lights from the bulb up above him. 

 

[Yoong, Move on. I know it'll be hard but I think it's much better that you remember the things He had done for you and Seohyun other than thinking that it was your fault.]

 

"Yeah, I think I should really be thankful for him as well."

 

[Exactly~]

 

"Thank you again, Hyung."

 

[No problem, you Know i'm always here. Alright I'm hanging up now. I'll see you in a while.]

 

Ending the call, Yoong once again looked at the covered body of Taemin. He goose bumps, just couldn't feel like leaving still. If He will leave, will it be good? But his twins are waiting. 

 

He somehow want to see them. It excites him to see his twins.

 

Papa~ I'm Okay here~Don't worry~ I'm with Mommy~

 

Suddenly He heard Taemin's voice around, giving him goose bumps. He looked around, yet He didn't see anyone except for the doctor that was waiting for him to say something.

 

"Umm, do you heard it?" He asked the doctor, but to no avail, He sighed and turned again his attention to Taemin. He smiled, knowing that Taemin is just around. "Taemin, I know you can hear me. I'll miss you~"

 

I'll Miss you too, Papa~ I love you so much.

 

Once again, the voice echoed in his ears. He started to get tearful again. "Yes. I love you so much too." He added, just when He felt someone had kissed his cheeks. 

 

He hang his head low, wiping his tears off in process. He started to reminisce all the things He had with Taemin; from Cambridge, until they went back to Seoul. It was all in his mind, can't believe that it has been a while since He and Seohyun adopted Taemin. 

 

It's just that, the end is here. He will never forget him. He surely would always remember him.

 

 

------------------------------------------------

 

 

 

An hour ago, before Taeyeon called,

 

Seohyun woke up with a terrible pain in her stomach. She called for help, and immediately, nurses, Yunho, Nicole and Taeyeon responded to her call. Thought she had broke her water, they even called for a doctor. But turned out the twins kicked at the same time again, but didn't manage to break the water.

 

"It is normal. They'll kick everytime they want within this day. We'll see them in a while." The doctor happily said to them.

 

Yunho, Taeyeon and Nicole all have a relieved after being informed. "Thanks doctor." Taeyeon said, as they allow the doctor to leave after they help Seohyun on easing the pain.

 

All of them turned to see the younger, who had her last deep breath.

 

“Yoong and Taemin, where are day?” However, Seohyun greeted them with a question whom they don’t know.

 

“Yoong and Taemin must be outside to buy you a gift, Hyun.” Yunho replied, taking the seat next to her. Nicole and Taeyeon both resumed to the dinner they had left on the coffee table.

 

“But right now, let’s celebrate first. It's Christmas after all.” Yunho continued.

 

“Celebrate? Without my son and my husband?” Seohyun got moody after the pain she encountered.

 

Yunho unable to answer. He looked back to Nicole and Taeyeon, yet, both of them weren’t paying attention.

 

“I’ll wait for them Oppa.”

 

“No, you need to eat first. Hyun.” Yunho quickly argued; worried.

 

“I can’t eat without them.” Seohyun was being stubborn. She lied back and looked away eventually.

 

Couldn’t convince her, Yunho decided to give her a banana instead. “Just a little… for your twins. You know it’s not good if you don’t eat. You should always stay healthy not only for yourself but for them as well. Just an hour or minutes to wait. You are not excited to see your twins?”

 

Seohyun slowly diverted her attention back to her brother. She mentally scolded herself for quiet being not in the mood. She smiled and nodded.

 

“That’s right. Wait. Taeyeon, can you give Seohyun’s porridge?” Yunho quickly asked his sister behind. The latter agreed, immediately giving it to her younger sister.

 

Seohyun who complied sat back cautiously with Yunho’s help. She was about to feed herself when Yunho stopped her to do so.

 

“I’ll feed you.” Yunho reasoned.

 

“Oh, it’s Okay Oppa. I can—“

 

“I just miss feeding my sister.” Yunho blushed, as He slowly steal the spoon from her sister’s grasp. Seohyun slowly give in and allow her brother. “Say ah~ Joohyunnie~”

 

Seohyun giggle, remembering her childhood. Yunho is always there to feed her every time their parents are out of work. It feel so great to have remember it, while she is now this old enough. “Oppa, it’s still hot.” She acted like she was still, earning Yunho’s smile. The latter immediately blows an air, though He knows his sister is acting like she is still this 6 year old.

 

“Okay, Joohyunnie, Mom will spank you if you keep on complaining.” And Yunho acted the same. “Come on. Or Oppa will eat your food.” He added.

 

Seohyun pouted.

 

“Yah! Joohyun! Open your mouth now!”

 

“You scold me, I don’t want.” Seohyun still played.

 

“Break it off, Hyun. Eat the porridge now.” Yunho’s impatient can’t be measured. He slowly move the spoon to Seohyun’s mouth. But the latter grinned, not complying. “Aigoo, Hyunnie!!!”

 

Nicole and Taeyeon in the side giggles to have witness Yunho break his patience.

 

"What are they doing?"

 

"Playing like they're still this young." taeyeon softly chuckle after she mumbles her words.

 

“Just like the last time? i remember Hyun always want to buy cotton candy also so that Yunho Oppa will feed her after every class.”

 

"She would? Omo! just know about that." Taeyeon set aside her spoon. "Tell me more about your childhood memories with my sister Nicole~" as she wanted to know more about her little sister.

 

"Hmm... but I have the most memorable moment with her." Placing her finger on her chin, Nicole grinned as she began to remember all the things.

 

Flashback...

 

It was break time, and almost every kid in a particular School are on their respective seats outside in the garden, having their lunch. But one  of them, a 6 year old girl, is in the corner, pouting so sadly with her own lunch box.

 

"Yah! Hyun! Aren't you eating lunch?" Nicole, the same age with her poke behind, earning her attention.

 

"Yunho Oppa, He promised to have lunch with me. But He seemed not coming." 

 

"So are you still waiting?" Nicole frowned to hear it.

 

Little Joohyun didn't answer. For a moment, she was in deep thought, until she decided something that made Nicole groan. "Let's go home Nicole. I want to see Yunho Oppa."

 

"What?!!! But the break is only an hour."

 

"Then we'll skip class?" Joohyun grinned, suggesting it.

 

"Skip? But-"

 

"Come on. I am so hungry already! I want to eat now!!!" Joohyun didn't let her friend to finish her sentence. She drag her out immediately.

 

 

-----

 

 

However, as they arrived at the bus stop, they missed the first bus on the way to Seohyun's home. So for a while, they waited. They waited like 30 minutes until a bus stopped right in front.

 

Rushing, little Joohyun drag her friend Nicole inside. But they have one big problem. There's only two seats left, but separately. 

 

"Joohyun, I'll take the left. You take the right side." Nicole didn't waste time and told her friend. The latter complied, slowly approaching the right seat.

 

"You Okay there?"

 

"Yes." Joohyun said with a smile. She looked down to her lunch box in her lap, happy that she will have another lunch with her brother. 

 

"Joohyun look." suddenly Nicole in the side pointed to a billboard they had passed. Joohyun tilted her head to the side, only to form such a happy wide smile. "Winnie the Pooh Movie?"

 

"Kyaa~ excited for that! I want to watch the movie with mom." Nicole expressed.

 

Joohyun nodded enthusiastically. "Me too Nicole. Me too. But Omma is not in the country."

 

"Don't worry, We'll watch it, Okay?"

 

"Yes."

 

 Sudddenly, when the bus stop without her notice, Joohyun almost drop her lunch box, if it wasn't for a hand that holds her wrist. She slowly turned, to the side, just to be greeted by pair of doe-eyes. She quickly looked away, and pulled her hand off of him.

 

"Thank-thank you... "

 

She uttered but the next person didn't respond. 

 

"You okay Hyunnie?" Nicole in the side asked. She immediately nodded to confirm.

 

"I am."

 

"But you look like... you are not?"

 

"I am just surprised with the sudden stop." Joohyun reasoned, which Nicole didn't mind and was convinced. 

 

 

In a short while, they finally arrived at their destination. Joohyun immediately get up, dragging Nicole in a rush again outside. But this time, it was because Joohyun want to leave the place immediately.

 

"Waeyo? You are sweating too much." Nicole laughs, noticing her as they walk in the side street. Joohyun furiously shake her head.

 

"It was nothing. Hehe... "

 

Nicole tucked her friend in her arms through her neck. "Let's just sing our favorit song while going home."

 

Joohyun greatly accepted the request, and started to sing with Nicole. "Lalala... lalala... lalala...~"

 

end of flashback...

 

 

"Eh? So you are saying that Seohyun is weird every time she's hungry?"

 

"Hmm, that's only once though. It never came back anymore, until one day... she rode the bus again, and met, her husband. Wow. I think the bus has always the meaningful place for Hyun?" Nicole obliviously said. "Haha! she's just plain weird sometimes~"

 

Just as Nicole ended her story, she and Taeyeon jolted up because apparently, Seohyun is shouting out of pain.

 

"Omo! Seohyun! You broke your water. Nicole quick, call the doctor." Yunho exclaimed. Nicole immediately alerted, and rush outside. 

 

"Oppa!!! Call my husband please!!!" Seohyun shouted, holding Yunho on his shoulder.

 

"I'll call Yoong. Take care of Seohyun, Oppa." taeyeon immediately rushes outside as well. 

 

 

-------------------------------

 

 

Yet, Taeyeon was left empty. Yoong’s phone though can ringing, the person is not answering. She heard Yunho’s voice calling for her which lead her back to the delivery room instead.

 

“Oppa, Yoong is not answering. But I have told our friends about this.”

 

“Call him again.” Yunho hissed, telling Taeyeon. He keeps on walking from back and forth, getting nervous while at the same time, worried—because apparently, Seohyun’s voice can be heard outside. It made them more worry when she shouted thrice, or 5 times longer.

 

“Oh my, please be safe Hyun. Just this one, take the pain all the way.” Taeyeon and Nicole both prayed, clasping their two hands.

 

Yunho on the other hand is the same, still can’t be stop from his walking. Taeyeon who was in the seat with Nicole, keeps on mumbling a lot of prayers, until Mrs. Im, Mister Hwang and Tiffany came to the place, Taeyeon quickly stood up and greeted them.

 

“Where’s Yoong?” Mister Hwang and Mrs. Im asked.

 

“He’s not—“

 

“AAAHHHH!!!!!!”

 

Taeyeon couldn’t finish her own sentence hearing it over and over again. All of them tilted their heads to the room, hoping and praying to see Seohyun in a good condition with her twins.

 

They hold their breath, while they can’t take their eyes off from door.

 

 

-------------------------------------

 

 

Less than an hour had passed, they finally been able to breath the moment two loud cries from a baby, can be heard inside. It really give them a relieaved. The possibilities of the twins to be born safely is right there.

 

In a short while, Two nurses came outside, carrying two babies being wrap in a thick white cloth. Rushing, all of them were agape as they also smiled, welcoming the born of Im BaekHyun and Im Yoobin to the world.

 

“Here’s Im Yoobin.” The nurse in their left showed closely the baby in her arms.

 

“And bouncy baby boy, Im BaekHyun is right here.” The other nurse also did the same.

 

Speechless, They only have one word in their respective minds—beautiful.

For a moment they admired the two beauties before their eyes—surely not leaving their eyes. Both babies are sleeping, yet, respectively, legs are moving.

 

“Aww, how adorable.” they uttered together, respectively having the same happiness to see both of them are safe.

 

“Omo! Wait. How’s my sister?” Unfortunately, taeyeon need to see to it that Seohyun is safe. The people around her all are anticipating to hear the condition.

 

“She’s in a good condition. Currently, she’s been taking care of Doctor Kwang. In a while, she’ll be transferred to her ward. Um, but we have one favor?”

 

“Favor?” Yunho raised his brow.

 

“Yes. Before she has fall to sleep, she called for… Taemin.”

 

All of them look at each other, wondering why Seohyun called for the kid.

 

“Um, how about… her husband? Did she call for him?” Nicole asked, shivering from the way the nurse have told them.

 

“Yes, but she's more than looking forward to see Taemin. As if, she has something to say? We don’t know. Where are they, though? The father needs to be here.”

 

“Um, excuse us.” The nurses slowly walked away from them, leaving them speechless.

 

However, before they could follow them to the nursery, they were surprised as the door behind making a sound—indicating that it opens again. A rolling bed greeted them with Seohyun on it, sleeping peacefully. Doctors and other nurses are pushing her bed.

 

Taeyeon and the others wanted to follow, but the doctor motioned to stay for a while coz they are preparing her in her ward.

 

“But I’m glad Seohyun is in a good condition.” Yunho muttered, loud enough—while they watch them taking Seohyun to her ward.

 

“Guess, need to call Yoong again.” Taeyeon said, opening her phone.

 

 

----------------------------------------

 

 

Present time,

 

Yoong arrived at the hospital, like nothing happened. He arrived, holding the Pikachu with another new thing to do. Perhaps, he doesn’t want to be obvious, as He came to face his mother and father. Yet, when He was being env

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter