Onion

Drabblessss

“…. The end!”

Little Hongbin smiles contently and closes the story book. He then stands up and places the book back to the book rack. It has been the 446472323 times he reads the book, yet he still enjoys reading this particular story book, Peter Pan.

His parents, especially his father, Taekwoon, has been asking him several times why he like this the most and he always says that because it is the first story that his mother, Jaehwan read to him in his memory. Taekwoon laughed at the answer as Jaehwan has been reading various stories even way before that but he still thinks that its cute that Hongbin can remember something so vividly.

Hongbin walks out from his playroom, deciding that its time for him to play football with his father as the weather is not too sunny and slightly windy. The moment he steps into the living room, he sees Taekwoon is taking a nap on the couch with his phone in his hand. Hongbin giggles slightly and walks over, poking his father’s cheek.

‘Hmmpph! Daddy is no fun!’ Hongbin thinks and pouts as his father doesn’t even move a bit upon his action. He then decides to go to the kitchen to look for his mother, Jaehwan who is currently cooking something in the kitchen.

Little Hongbin gasps in surprise as he sees his mother is crying silently in front of the kitchen counter. ‘What happened to mommy? Is mommy hurt?’ Hongbin thinks and immediately runs to the living room again. He runs to the couch and sits on his daddy’s lap, shaking his daddy’s shoulder violently to wake the adult.

“Binnie?” Taekwoon says sleepily and grumpily as his nap is being disturbed. “Did you bully mommy?” Hongbin asks angrily and cross his tiny arms. Taekwoon who is still half asleep can’t seem to get what his son is talking about and asks “Buddy, what you said?”. “I said, did you bully mommy?” Hongbin asks again, at the verge of crying.

“What? No! of cause I didn’t bully mommy.. Binnie, daddy loves mommy very much, okay?” Taekwoon says and calms his son who suddenly accused him for something that he didn’t do or rather something that he will never do. “Then why mommy is crying!” Hongbin exclaims and stares into his daddy’s feline eyes. “What?” Taekwoon says and immediately walks to the kitchen with his cute son in his arm.

“Babe, are you okay?” Taekwoon immediately asks as soon as he enters the kitchen. His feline eyes widen as he see his wife, Jaehwan’s eyes are red. ‘So he really did cry just now.. but.. what happened?’ Taekwoon thinks. “Mommy!! Don’t cry.. Binnie will cry too..” Hongbin says and struggles in his daddy’s arm, wanting to go to his mom’s arm instead, wanting to comfort his mother.

Jaehwan takes from Hongbin from Taekwoon’s arm, soothing his son while gently patting his son’s back. “I’m fine? What happened? What’s wrong?” Jaehwan asks confusedly, staring at his husband with clueless eyes.

“Hongbin said you cried.” Taekwoon says and walks towards his wife, caressing Jaehwan’s soft cheek. “Mommy, why did you cry earlier?” Hongbin asks softly, caressing the other cheek. “Since when I cry?” Jaehwan asks cluelessly again and staring at his husband with his doe eyes. “Then why your eyes are red?” Taekwoon asks gently.

Jaehwan then looks at the kitchen counter and something clicks in his head. “Ahhhh.. its because of the onions.. I was slicing the onion just now.. and… hehehe” Jaehwan says embarrassingly while scratching his neck.

Taekwoon then chuckles and knocks his wife’s head lightly. “You got me and Binnie worry…” Taekwoon says and peck his wife’s forehead. “You should have asked before saying all that” Jaehwan says with a pout.

“Onion?” Hongbin asks curiously. “Yes baby.. Onion is spicy so mommy tears a bit while slicing.. mommy is not crying, okay?” Jaehwan says gently and peck his son’s nose.

Hongbin then suddenly leaps out of his mother’s embrace and runs to his playroom. “What is he going to do?” Jaehwan asks and Taekwoon only shakes his head and says “Let’s wait here and see.”

Few minutes later, Hongbin is running out from his playroom with two plastic swords in his hands. He then stands in front of Jaehwan, spreading his arms wide and passes one of the sword to Taekwoon.

Taekwoon looks at his son cluelessly but takes the sword wordlessly. “Mommy! Daddy and I are going to protect you! We will kill the onion! It will not make you cry again!!!” Hongbin exclaims loudly.

Jaehwan and Taekwoon then laughs at his son’s sweet action. Jaehwan picks up his son and asks “Will Binnie protect mommy forever?”. Hongbin nods, “Yes! I will protect you!! Daddy is my hero and Binnie will be mommy’s hero!!”. Jaehwan smiles widely at his son’s exclaim, he feels so bless to have such a sweet son. “Aren’t you the sweetest?” Jaehwan says and peck his son.

“I will be both of your hero. I will protect you two.” Taekwoon says and hugs his wife and son. Taekwoon feels so content at that moment, this happy and warm family worth his anything and everything to protect.

Just as the parents are savoring this warm and sweet moment, the son breaks the silent again…

“Daddy!! We still have to kill the onion for hurting mommy!!!”   


Finally an update after so long.. Enjoy reading! :D