First day

Drabblessss

It is the first day of school of the spring semester and it marks the first day Jaehwan starts attending kindergarten. However, he is nervous and afraid; he is still a timid and shy baby.

“Hwannie want to stay with mommy.. Hwannie don’t want to go school” Jaehwan whines and latches himself onto his mother.

“Baby. Be a good boy, okay?” his mother comforts him with a smile.

“What if they don’t like Hwannie?” Jaehwan sniffles, trying his very best to beg his mother.

“Sweetie, they will love you. I’m sure. Do you still remember the kid across the street? Hongbin is attending this school as well. You can take care of each other” his mother says and wipes away the tears.

“Mommyyyyyyyyyyyyy” Jaehwan whines again. Why is his aegyo not working this time?

“Jaehwanie?”

Both of them turn around when they hear someone is calling Jaehwan.

“Hongbinie?” Jaehwan calls and wipes away his own tears with his small hand.

“Why are you crying?” Hongbin asks as he walks over to his same age friend.

“Hwannie don’t want to go school.. Hwannie wants to stay with mommy” Jaehwan says and looks at his friend with teary eyes.

“Why? Mommy says that kindergarten is fun! There will be more friends and the teachers are nice” Hongbin says excitedly, not understanding why Jaehwan is stress and upset about entering school. His parents have told him all the benefits of being enrolled into kindergarten and he is excited and happy of it.

“Hongbin ah~ can you take care of Hwannie when in school?” Jaehwan’s mother asks the kid, she will be late to work if she does not leave now.

“Sure! Hongbinie will play with Jaehwanie!” Hongbin exclaims with a bright smile.

“Hwannie. Mommy has to leave now. Behave, okay? Mommy will pick you up later” his mother says and pats the baby’s head.

“Promise?” Jaehwan asks and his mother nods.

After 15 minutes of the situation, finally Jaehwan enters the kindergarten with Hongbin.

“Jaehwanie~ isn’t the yard so pretty?” Hongbin asks with a smile but Jaehwan who is still nervous can’t seem to catch the sentence.

Few hours passed and it seems that Hongbin is adapting himself well. Hongbin has gotten himself some new friends and is playing with them happily at the yard.

Jaehwan pouts and sits at the bench near the yard. He wants to play but he does not know how to approach the others. After 10 minutes of sitting there without doing anything, Jaehwan decides to back to his classroom.

He sits at his seat and pulls out the sketchbook in which his mother prepares for him. Drawing or sketching is always his favorite hobby. He then takes out his pencil case and the colour pencils box from his bag, starts to drawing randomly on the sketchbook.

As he immerses in drawing, he starts to relax himself, forgetting that he is previously nervous and scared of being in this new environment. He starts to hum softly and continue drawing different animals with his pencil.

Jaehwan stops his drawing abruptly when he sees someone’s shadow is hovering him. He turns to his side and drops his pencil due to the shock. A scary looking kid who seems elder than him is staring at him and his drawing.

Jaehwan stares at the scary kid for a while and realizes that the other is not giving any response. Jaehwan suddenly feels afraid and immediately runs out from the classroom.

The scary looking kid who is left alone in the classroom stands still as he does not know what he has done when in fact he didn’t do anything at all.

“Hongbinieeee” Jaehwan whines and runs to the yard to look for his friend for comfort.

“What happen?” Hongbin runs over and hugs his friend who looks frighten.

“Someone .. there.. scary..” Jaehwan explains and hugs his friend tightly.

Hongbin looks around the yard, trying to locate the someone who scares his friend.

Hongbin’s eyes widen as he sees one elder kid walks out from the classroom. The kid looks cool and quiet.

“is he the someone?” Hongbin asks while pointing the scary looking kid with his finger.

Jaehwan pulls away from the hug to look at the person who his friend is pointing at. His eyes widen as he is the same kid who stared at him earlier. He nods and immediately hides himself behind his friend.

“It’s okay. Binnie with protect you” Hongbin says to comfort his friend.

The kid walks closer to them and Jaehwan find himself latches on his friend even tighter.

“I’m sorry” the kid says and Jaehwan peeks at him.

“I didn’t mean to scare you. its just your drawing is nice and cute” the kid explains himself.

“I’m Taekwoon” he introduces himself.

“I’m Hongbin! And he is Jaehwan” Hongbin introduces himself and his friend as he feels that the other kid is actually kind and not as scary as Jaehwan thinks.

“Jaehwannie ~ he is not that scary.. relax” Hongbin says and pulls away so that Jaehwan can stand beside him rather than hiding behind him.

“Hongbin ah~ we are going to play tag~ are you joining?” Another kid asks from far, he is one of the friends that Hongbin made earlier.

Hongbin nods with a smile and turns to Jaehwan, “Jaehwannie~ I have to go now~ sorry”. Hongbin says and runs off.

Now, Jaehwan is left alone at the spot with Taekwoon. He feels nervous again and fidgeting.

“Can we be friend? You are cute” Taekwoon says and extend his hand for a hand shake.

Jaehwan looks up nervously, he soon relax when the elder shows him a sincere smile. The elder looks friendly and nice now.

Jaehwan nods with a smile and shakes his hand with the elder shyly.

“Do you want to play with me?” Taekwoon asks with a smile and points at the sandbox nearby.

For the first time of the day, Jaehwan smiles happily. Finally he has made a friend other than Hongbin.

“Okay!” Jaehwan agrees and let the elder leads him to the sandbox.

As they are building sand castle at the sandbox, they non stop giggling as they are chatting, talking about their favourite cartoon and toys.

Maybe going kindergarten is not that bad. Jaehwan thinks and smiles as he looks at his new friend, Taekwoon. 


Enjoy reading! :D 

I'm thinking of marking this story as complete and stop updating this drabble. what do you think? ><