Zelo 6

B.A.P. Oneshots

 

Her screams echoed in his ears and he huddled into a ball, watching from a corner. He focused on the shadows on the wall across from him and saw him raise his arm to hit her. The blow was heavy and she fell across the floor. He lifted his leg back to hit her and that’s when he screamed. He screamed and the sound echoed through the house.

            The minister was talking and droning on and on, talking about what a lovely person Choi Inra had been. He was spitting out biblical phrases and Junhong had no patience. He tapped his foot and his uncle glared at him. “Don’t be rude,” he mouthed.

            “Inra was a woman of strength. She had the smile of an angel and a halo lit up her soul. To everyone who knew her, she was the kindest, most caring woman they could possibly find. They turn to her for advice. They turn to her for help. Nobody can deny that this woman was angel sent from God to make the earth a better place.”

            A woman of strength. “Please, don’t hit my baby. You can touch me, but whatever you do, don’t touch him.”

            The drunken man swayed and sneered. “I’ll hit whoever I damned feel like. You have no right to stop me. Go ahead, do what you do best. Sacrifice yourself. But I’m telling you, one day I am getting him.”

            She pushed him behind her and the man’s foot came out, connecting with her ribs and she stumbled, doubling over.

            “Don’t hit her!” his childish voice cried out and he laughed.

            “’Don’t hit her.’” He mocked. “What’s the baby going to do about it? When mommy’s gone and not here to protect you, you can rest assured I’m coming for you next.”

            “We have gathered here today to pray for her passage into Heaven and to pray that Choi Inra would be able to enter His arms safely. Let us all close our eyes and pray for her salvation, for her safety and to thank Him for giving us Inra, even for such a short while.”

            He choked on his spit as he watched everyone else close their eyes and bow their heads. What was the use of this when she was already gone? What was the point if he could never hear her soft voice sing to him, if he could never rest in her warm embrace again?

            “Shh, it’s okay, Junhong. It’s okay, baby. Umma’s here. Don’t cry. Shush, appa will be home soon. I don’t want him to be angrier than he was when he left okay? Come, I’ll give you some tomatoes. I just bought them especially for you?” She his hair and he nodded, trying to stifle his tears, trying not to feel the stingy slap across his face.

            When he looked up to take the red fruit from her, her eyes filled with tears and she placed her wet, cool hand on his cheek. “My poor baby. One of these days, I’m going to promise you safety.”

            “Amen. Choi Inra has lived a satisfactorily life. She has grown up well, in the comfort of her family. She has received one of the best educations our country can offer. She rose to become a great accountant and married for love.”

            He scoffed and scuffed his shoe. Love, his bony behind. Everyone turned to look at him and he stared back defiantly. The minister’s mouth was still open with his unspoken bull still lingering on his lips.

            “I’m sorry, I love you.” He held out a hand and tried to place the broken arm back into its place. She jerked away, only wincing in pain. He bit his lips and moved towards her again. “Inra, please.”

            “I got this. Stop. Go away.”

            He watched the scene from the doorway and the only thing he caught was the phrase, “I love you,” as his father looked on helplessly. And all he could think was that if this was love, it sure as hell was painful and he didn’t ever want it.

            “In the last few moments of her life, all she could think about was her son. This is a testament that even in her moments of pain, her mind was not on herself, rather on her son. This was a selfless woman. A woman who did not deserve to leave the time she did. She was an extraordinary mother and loving wife. She could do no wrong.”

            A woman of strength. A woman who found love. A selfless woman. Extraordinary mother. The words nagged at him and he wanted to stand up, refute them and tell each and every single one of the people sitting in the audience just how skewed their perception of her was. Junhong wanted them to know just how blind they were to think she was all of those. He pushed his chair back, letting the loud scrape screech across the silent auditorium.

            He stumbled to find her, hunched over the sink, her eyes red. “Junhong, I’m sorry.” He saw the empty bottle rolling on the floor and the white pallor of her face and knew he was too late. Bruises covered her arms and her neck was caked with concealer in a desperate attempt to hide her scars. “I’m not strong enough. He doesn’t love me enough. I’m too selfish. I’m sorry. I fail as a mother.” Her hands came up to cup his cheeks one more time. They were cold and trembled violently.

            “Forgive me? He won’t be back to bother you again. But you. Take care of yourself. I’ll be watching you. Forgive me.” She collapsed and he stood there. He was numb, knowing he should call for help, but knowing it was too late.

            “She was weak.” He spat out. “She hated him. She was selfish and she left me. Tell me again that she was a good mother.” And he left. Left to find his own way in this world. Left maybe to hunt his father down and finally get revenge for himself. 

 

Zelo requested by jjangqueen

you didn't tell me the genre, so I took liberties.

This has been running in my head for a while. I'm sorry if you're disturbed/ don't like it. If you like, I can maybe rewrite a fluffier one for you.