Daehyun 52 Part 2

B.A.P. Oneshots

 

            Youngjae stood next to her and waited in silence. She was staring at her puffy eyes in the mirror, grimacing and poking. After what felt like hours, she straightened. “Did he even love me?”

            He knew what she was talking about and felt another knife twist in his heart. “I don’t know.”

            Her normally playful mouth pressed into a firm, nonexistent line and she nodded. “I see.”

            After moving out from Daehyun’s, she had wanted to go back to her parents but that would be more drama she wanted to avoid. And so she was offered a room at Youngjae’s cousins’ apartment. She was reluctant to take the favor, but had no other choice. These days Youngjae visited her as often as he could.

            He resented that she still thought about him, still cared about whether Daehyun loved her or not. Why did it matter? He clearly didn’t. At least not enough if he was going to throw her away so carelessly. Which he had. So why was it that she still cared?

            She lifted your elbows from the table and turned to him. “So why did you come over, Jae?”

            He stared at her. She had hardened. When he first met her, she had been a happy girl, filled with smiles, engaging the world in her laughter. But now, her light had faded. He smiled, just to try and lighten her up. “Do you want to go outside with me? You’ve been holed up here for a while. It’s not healthy. Come on. There’s a new café that opened up. I’ll take you there.”

            For a rare second, she glowed. “Ah, yeah sure. Let me wear something prettier.”

            Youngjae wanted to smile because at least this meant she was going somewhere. But he then said, “You don’t have to. You’re pretty in everything you wear.”

            This earned him a genuine smile, showing all her beautiful teeth. He wondered when was the last time Daehyun had paid her a compliment. She slung her arm through his elbow. “Let’s go. We might as well go now. It’s almost five and your cousin would be mad if we missed her dinner.”

            All Youngjae could focus on was the arm around his, her leg brushing against him. He listened to her chatter, and thought that maybe this was a breakthrough. That was all he asked for for the time being.

            They turned down past the playground and for a second, Youngjae cursed himself. Why did he have to choose this route of all ways? But she didn’t comment, only averting her eyes to focus on him.

            They walked into the café and he sat her in a booth. She ordered a large cuppacino and he a milkshake. They talked, avoiding Daehyun because he was taboo. But Youngjae was dying to know. He wanted to know exactly how she felt about him right now.

            Her eyes caught on a pile of papers sticking out from his bag. She reached for it and took out a sheet of music. “It’s All Lies,” she read out loud. “A new song? Sounds like a ballad.” He wanted to snatch it from her but her eyes were already moving, reading each lyric, reading all the words Daehyun had said to him that other night.

            Her eyes narrowed slightly as if she knew. He saw her pause every once in a while and continue reading. Youngjae reached for the papers hastily. “Just a new song for our album. Maybe.”

            He prayed she wouldn’t read the credits. But it was too late. formed his name and she slammed the papers down on the table. The waitress came at the right time, just in time to control her temper. She took a deep breath and smiled tightly. “You guys are preparing for a new album?”

            Youngjae took the hint to put away the lyrics, glad for this abrupt change in conversation. He diverted her attention until their conversation reached something so trivial, they were rolling in their seats, laughing.

            On the way back, she wanted to go to the park. Youngjae felt a little uneasy. Wasn’t it a little masochistic to go to the same place she recently had her heart broken? But he went in with her and there, on the swings, was Daehyun.

            He was going to pull her back but it was too late. Daehyun had already seen them. Before any of them could react, he was already standing and moving towards them. “I’m sorry.” His voice cracked and he reached out a hand. It took him another minute to register Youngjae next to her but he said nothing of it.

            She was still and Youngjae took her by the arms. “We can just leave.”

            “Don’t take her away, Yoo Youngjae,” Daehyun ordered. He kept coming closer until he was before her and he dropped to the ground. “Please, I’m sorry, I didn’t know how much you meant to me until you were gone. I acted like an idiot. I took you for granted.”

            “You did.” Her reply was nowhere near encouraging but Daehyun forged on.

            “When you left, I realized how much of a coward I was. I was scared of loving you too much so I tried to distance myself. I was scared of being in too deep and so I was a fool. I cheated on you because I knew she didn’t love me and that made me feel unattached. But I was already in too deep. I just didn’t see it. When you told me it was over, I was hoping it was all lies, that I could have another chance.”

            She touched his hair. “Did you?”

            “Please, the only words I have for you now are please come back to me. I thought I could get over it, but I can’t. Can’t you see I’m crying? I never cry, but for you, I do. Can’t you please just forget and let us start over?”

            “Forget? And start over?” her words were hollow. Youngjae watched his best friend and the girl he had always liked. She gave a little laugh. “Jung Daehyun, if I told you that I can forgive you, then I would be lying. If I told you I don’t still miss you, I would be lying. You see, it’s so hard. But let this be a lesson to you. The next time you love someone, tell them. Let them know and hope that they can see it too. Because goodness knows, I let you know but you never saw it. Daehyun, just give up. We weren’t meant to be.” She knelt so she could whisper these final words to him privately. “This love you think you’re feeling? It’s all lies.” 

 

So many of you wanted a sequel, and so here it is.

I know the ending may disappoint a bunch of you Daewons but sometimes, this is life. And to all you boys out there, I hope you all can learn a lesson too.