Long Time No See

Best Friends

 

It was another one of those days where Kai was left to walk home by himself since Taemin was invited to Jonghyun’s house after school. It was a nice day and it wasn’t raining. He felt like it was a good day to ride his bike around town. He reached his house and changed out of his school uniform and into more comfortable clothing before grabbing his bike and setting off into town.

It really is a nice day, he thought to himself as he peddled, enjoying the bright colors of the world courtesy of the sun shining down on everything. He felt very carefree.

Until he saw a familiar face walking down the street with a grocery bag in hand.

He didn’t bother to take a double take before speeding down the street and braking in front of the pretty woman he never thought he’d see again.

“Hyemi noona!” he cheered, smiling like a dork to the woman, who seemed more covered than the last he saw her.

Surprised, Hyemi nearly jumped out of her skin before pointing at Kai meanly, “My name is Tasha!”

Kai frowned confusedly and muttered, “But last time you said Hyemi was your real name…”

Hyemi…or Tasha sighed heavily, pinching the bridge of her nose. “I’m Hyemi to you, but in public my name is Tasha. I don’t want other people knowing my real name,” she explained, her tone more nice sounding now.

Kai nodded his head in understanding. “Okay then, Tasha it is…Actually, can I just call you noona? That sounds better.”

Hyemi smiled and nodded. Kai sighed happily, grinning as he said, “Long time no see.”

“Long time no see,” Hyemi repeated. “What are you doing?”

“I was just riding around since it’s a nice day,” Kai said, “What about you? You’re not….working right now are you?”

Hyemi looked a little uncomfortable when her work was mentioned, but shook her head in denial. “No, I’m not. I was actually just running some errands right now. My fridge is empty,” she stated, lifting her bag up to emphasize her words.

“Oh, good!” Kai chirped happily. “Say, maybe we can hang out sometime. Honestly, last time I met you, you seemed real nice so….can we get together and see a movie or something?”

Kai was really hopeful, though realistically thinking he was expecting her to say no. Since he hadn’t seen her in a few weeks, his hopes weren’t very high.

Hyemi frowned. Kai was a very nice kid, she knew that and she felt bad that he liked her in a friendly way. She didn’t feel she deserve a friend like him and he didn’t need to be involved with her anyway.

She sighed when she realized Kai was waiting for an answer with a hopeful smile on his face. “How about this,” she proposed. “If we run into each other again after this encounter, then we can hang out once. Sound fair?”

Kai nodded enthusiastically, happy this with arrangement. “I’ll make sure it happens then,” he said determinedly.

Hyemi smiled at him, “We’ll see. I’ll take my leave now.”

Kai nodded, waving at her until she was out of sight before continuing his bike ride with a huge smile on his face.

He really hoped they’d see each other again.