Break Up

Best Friends

Wow! 60 chapters already?!?! Thanks to everyone who is still reading this!

 


 

 

Kai woke up that morning with a bad feeling. He couldn’t quite place it but he knew something was going to happen and he wasn’t going to like it. Shaking the feeling off, he started his day just like any other and ran out the door for school.

He arrived at school at the same time as Taemin, and the two waited around in the cafeteria with Kai constantly looking out the window searching for Yoojin. He liked to walk her to her locker and carry her bag.

Taemin then looked out with him, saying, “There she is. Go on, I’ll see you in homeroom.”

Kai nodded and rushed out of the cafeteria, smiling as he appeared beside Yoojin. “Good morning!” he chirped.

“Oh, hi…”

Kai immediately noticed her down mood and looked at her with worry. “Is everything okay?” he asked, taking her hand in his. Yoojin nodded her head and looked up at him.

“Can I talk to you later at lunch?”

Kai, deeply concerned now nodded, “Yeah, sure. Do you want me to walk you to your clas—”

“No, I can get there. I’ll see you later,” she said hurriedly, rushing off to her locker leaving Kai behind. He was tempted to follow her just to make sure she was alright but decided against it. He didn’t want to seem overbearing or anything.

He had that bad feeling again but shook it off and went to homeroom.

 

 

“Kai, what’s up?” Taemin asked as they left their class to go to the cafeteria. He had noticed his friend seemed worried and it only got worse now that it was time for lunch.

Kai shrugged, “Yoojin said she wanted to talk today at lunch. She seemed sort of down this morning.”

Taemin furrowed his brow. “Maybe she didn’t do well on a test? Or maybe she had a fight with her brother?” Taemin suggested, trying to help his friend worry less. It probably wasn’t anything major anyway.

“I hope she didn’t fight with her brother!” Kai then said, genuinely concerned for Yoojin. He knew how much Yoojae meant to her; it would hurt him if they really fought.

Just then, Yoojin appeared beside the two, her expression sullen like it was that morning.

“Can we talk now?” she asked quietly. Kai nodded and took her hand, leading her out of the cafeteria and to a deserted hallway, Taemin’s worried gaze following them until they were out of sight.

Yoojin leaned against the wall while Kai stood straight. “What’s wrong?” Kai asked, pouting slightly.

“Er…well, should I beat around the bush or tell you directly?” she asked, not looking at him.

Kai bit lip, saying, “Just tell me. Is there something I can do for you?”

“Well, not really…actually, please make this as easy as possible,” she requested. Yoojin took a deep breath and looked up at Kai with apologetic eyes. “Let’s break up.”

Kai was stunned. Break up? What was she talking about? If this was a joke, it wasn’t funny. There was no way she could be serious.

“Yoo—”

“You haven’t done anything wrong, trust me. It’s totally me. I like someone else,” she said simply. She kicked herself off the wall, taking a step towards Kai. “I know, I’m horrible but I can’t help who I like.”

Kai could feel the tears pooling in his eyes. This was really happening. He looked at Yoojin desperately, “Please don’t—”

“Look, Kai, I don’t want to be with you anymore. You’re a nice guy. Please don’t make this harder than it has to be,” she said before turning on her heel and walking off to cafeteria.

As soon as she was out of sight, Kai let his tears falls, releasing sad sobs. He just stood in the middle of the hallway, crying. Why did she break up with him? What was wrong with him? Why was she so cold?

A few moments passed before Taemin came running to him, wrapping him in a tight hug. “I’m so sorry, Kai!” he apologized profusely. “Come on, let’s get out of here,” he said softly, leading his upset dongsaeng to the nearest bathroom.

Taemin recalled the many times Kai had to comfort him, and now it was time for him to comfort his dongsaeng, just like a hyung should.

Taemin continued to rub soothing circles on his dongsaeng’s back as Kai continued to cry. They stayed there for the entire day, hiding in the corner stall.