Study Date II

Best Friends

 

The day after having lunch with Yoojin and Yoojae, Kai walked into Biology nervously, trying to shoo away the butterflies in his stomach when he took a seat next to Yoojin. “Good morning,” he said quietly, earning a bright smile from her.

She scooted closer to him and wrapped him in a tight hug, making Kai turn rigid, not breathing in shock. This was a dream right?

“Good morning. We’re still on for Saturday?” she asked, releasing him and sitting normally in her seat.

“Oh…um, are we? I mean, are you allowed to come over?” he questioned unsurely.

She nodded, chirping, “Yup! But as long as we don’t go to yours or Taemin’s house. My brother said it has to be in the public park or the library in case you guys try to me or something.”

Kai choked, coughing harshly to overcome the shock of her words. She said that like it was nothing! Kai nearly had a heart attack. His health is becoming endangered because of her!

“O-Oh, okay; the park it is,” he managed to choke out, his face completely red.

 

 

Kai had spent the night at Taemin’s house Friday night since he lived closer to the park, so as soon as Kai woke up that morning he wanted to head down there already. Taemin burrowed in his blankets, protesting, “It’s sleepy time now! We’re not meeting until one!”

“Aish, what am I supposed to do with myself until then!” Kai whined, shaking his limbs before settling down on the floor to make sure he had all the right books and papers in his backpack for the fifth time.

Eventually it was time for them to meet up, and Kai was a nervous wreck the entire walk there. Taemin was droning on and on about how he was just overreacting and everything would go smoothly.

“But what if I forget what we’re studying about! What if I’m more stupid than I thought?” Kai worried, biting his lip.

“Shut up, you’re not stupid. It’s going to be fine,” Taemin groaned, already exhausted by his friend’s constant worrying.

They arrived and took refuge at an empty picnic table, taking out their books and pens. Not long after them, Yoojin appeared, running toward them excitedly.

“Hi, Kai! Hello, Taemin,” she greeted smiling before taking a seat across from them. “Nice day isn’t it?”

“It is!” Taemin enthused.

“O-Oh, is it?” Kai asked dumbly. Yoojin giggled and simply nodded. “Shall we get to work, then?”

“Yeah! Um, l-let’s start on what we were working on last week,” Kai started, flipping through his notes and book pages, followed by the others.

The studying went well with little confusion. Yoojin would look completely overjoyed when she understood something and that made Kai’s heart fluttered. She was a pretty girl but when she smiled because of Kai, he couldn’t help but feel fluttery and happy.

Taemin didn’t talk much the entire time but that was fine; he was really only there for security.

It was around four when they decided to call it a day, shoving their books in their bags not wanting to look at them anymore. Yoojin glanced over at the deserted swings and grabbed Kai’s arm, “Let’s go on the swings.”

Her eyes were so hopeful that Kai just couldn’t say no. Taemin shook his head at his friend’s hopelessness; he was completely head over heels for the girl and secretly, it made Taemin feel a little lonely. Taemin decided to stay back at the picnic table, taking out his iPod and listened to the music for a distraction.

Over at the swings, Kai was pushing Yoojin on the swings, pushing her higher and higher as she requested. She was simply beautiful in his eyes, the way her hair flew in the wind and her eyes all lit up as if there were stars in them.

After a while, she stopped and he took a seat on the swing beside her. She reached over and took his hand in hers. She smiled at him and asked, “We’re dating now right? It’s okay to do this?”

Kai nodded dumbly, afraid that if he said anything he would stutter a lot. He’s been doing that a lot lately.

“I’m happy,” she said before getting up, “I should be getting home now. I had fun with you and Taemin today. Maybe for our next day we can do something; just the two of us.”

Kai asked if she needed them to walk her home but she kindly refused, saying she was supposed to meet her brother at the dojo he was at today and that it was only five minutes from here. He and Kai bid her a good day before walking home themselves.

“So, how was it?” Taemin asked cheekily, nudging his friend’s side teasingly.

“Perfect,” Kai answered happily.