More Studying

Best Friends

 

“’tsugi no kasenbu no tango wo kanji to okurigana de kaitekudasai…’,” Kai read aloud from his activity packet, his pencil being clenched in his hand in concentration. Taemin, who was working on his own homework for English, peeked over to watch his friend.

“You sound fluent,” Taemin commented, seeming impressed.

“I’m not at all,” Kai explained, “And I was just reading aloud the instructions on what to do for this portion.” Kai pointed to the page which showed different sentences written in Japanese, the kanji characters being underlined.

“So do you know what to do?” Taemin asked, studying the complicated kanji characters on the page.

“No,” Kai said simply, “But the kanji is underlined so I’m assuming I need to write what it means...in hiragana...Yeah…I’ll just go with that.”

Taemin laughed at his friend and returned to his own work. After a few minutes, Taemin gave up on his English work, frowning at it cutely. “I’m just going to take a break from this…,” he trailed off, scooting closer to Kai so he could watch him study.

“By a break, you mean procrastinate until morning,” Kai said bluntly, not removing his eyes from his papers.

“Probably,” Taemin admitted. “Want me to help you study?”

“Eh, if you want. I’m not actually sure what you can do for me though…”

“I…I can…I dunno. Say something to me in Japanese,” Taemin ordered, looking at Kai expectantly.

“Hm…Kimi wa boku no tomodachi desu. Kimi ga suki desu,” Kai mumbled as he scribbled various answers on his paper.

“What you say?” Taemin asked excitedly, thinking Kai sounded so cool right then.

Kai chuckled at the tone of Taemin’s voice and said, “I said that you’re my friend and that I like you.”

“Like me? You only like me?!”

“Fine! Kimi ga daisuki desu!”

“You said you loved me right?”

“Yeah…mizu to gyuunyuu to dochira no hou ga suki desu ka?”

“Eh?”

“Water or milk, which do you prefer? Sorry, I just need an answer to write.”

“Milk,” Taemin answered. “Banana milk, preferably.”

“Okay…Banana gyuunyuu no hou ga mizu yori ga...wait, no...no 'ga'... suki desu…banana gyuunyuu no hou ga mizu yori suki desu,” Kai mumbled out as he write his answer.

“Why are you studying so hard?”

“I have a test tomorrow…”

“Oh, I see. Good luck.”

“That’s ‘Ganbatte’. Arigatou!”

“Don’ttouchmymustache.”

“Okay, no…”