Finding Out II

Best Friends

 

Things were very awkward. The two boys were sitting on the floor of Kai’s bedroom, with Kai pinching the bridge of his nose and Taemin not being able to keep his hands still in agitation. Kai was the first to say something, making Taemin feel worse than he already felt.

“How long has this been going on?”

Taemin sniffled, “Since fifth grade but it wasn’t so bad back then. Ever since we entered middle school was when things worsened.”

“Taemin hyung,” Kai said sharply, “Why didn’t you tell me this was going on? I could’ve helped you.”

Taemin was near tears by then from all the anxiety. “I didn’t want you to worry about me,” he replied weakly, “It was my issue to deal with.”

“Still, I could’ve helped you. Just because I’m your dongsaeng doesn’t mean I can’t do anything. I could’ve at least beaten them up or something.”

“No, you wouldn’t have. You’re too sweet.”

Kai rolled his eyes, “I can be tough if I want to…”

“Kai, how did you even find out about this anyway?” Taemin asked. He was hoping Kai didn’t see the inside of his locker or anything where at the hate notes were stashed.

“I overheard some people in the cafeteria.”

Taemin nodded, relieved that Kai didn’t see the notes.

“They were talking about what the soccer team had planned for after school today,” Kai continued, “They were going to corner you and beat you up. And the kids in the cafeteria all said the same thing; that it was what you deserved,” he said the last part in disgust, angry that people actually thought that.

Taemin didn’t know what to say. He figured physical violence was going to start up soon but he was upset that Kai had to find out about it. But he was also thankful that Kai had saved him today. Otherwise, Taemin would probably have a black eye or worse.

“Thanks for taking me here then,” Taemin thanked Kai but he didn’t get a response.

Neither said anything for a while after that, both in deep thought. Then, Kai cleared his throat, feeling slightly awkward about his next question.

“Um, hyung…,” he started, “Is it true about what they say? Are you…gay?”

Taemin only nodded, tears collecting in his eyes once more. He was afraid of what Kai would think. Would he still be his friend?

Kai, seeing his friend’s distress, scooted over and wrapped an arm around his shoulders, pulling Taemin close in a side hug. “It’s alright,” he said simply, “You’re still my best friend.”

That was all Taemin needed to hear to make his tears fall, releasing sobs in relief. Kai chuckled at his friend, offering comfort for his hyung.

“Don’t worry, we’ll get through this together,” he whispered to Taemin.

They truly were friends till the end.