Supervised Date

Best Friends

 

Date…date…was this really a date?

Kai just couldn’t stop thinking about the lunch he was supposed to be having with the Yoon Yoojin and her brother. There was just no way he could calm down. He could literally feel his insides quivering; it was very unsettling.

As soon as Biology ended, he had said a quick goodbye to the sweet girl and reminded her about their lunch…arrangement and quickly sprinted off to find Taemin before their next class. He had found Taemin in no time at all and hysterically clung to his hyung, publicly freaking out.

“Hyung! What do I do? What do I do?!” Kai asked, voice shaking.

Taemin, who had no idea what was going on was also freaking out, “What?! Kai, what’s wrong?!”

“I’m dead, I’m so dead! I’m gonna die!” was all Kai said as he continued to fret.

Taemin rolled his eyes, “You’re not gonna die. Now tell me what’s wrong.”

Kai gulped, “We’re having lunch with Yoon Yoojin.”

Taemin furrowed his brow. “Yoon Yoojin…,” he mumbled, “Oh, your Biology partner. Her?”

Kai nodded.

Taemin chuckled, “What’s so bad about that? It’ll be fun.”

“No! Hyung, you don’t understand! I’m being introduced to her brother! My entire future with her replies on this meeting!” Kai practically yelled, his nerves officially going haywire.

“Wait, wait,” Taemin stopped his friend, “Your future together?” What an interesting word choice, he thought. His dongsaeng must really like this girl. “So,” he started again, “This meeting her brother…it’s a big deal?”

“Yes, it’s a big deal!”

“Who is he again?”

“Yoon Yoojae.”

Now it was Taemin’s turn to freak out. “Y-Yoon Y-Yoojae…,” he muttered surprised, “The Kendo club leader?”

Kai’s eyes rounded and he gasped, “He’s the leader?!”

Taemin sighed and clapped his friend’s shoulder, “It was nice knowing, Kai. After he kills you for liking his baby sister, can I have all your Power Rangers and CDs?”

Kai whimpered, laying his head on Taemin’s shoulder, “I’m gonna die.”

“We’ll determine that after lunch,” Taemin then said, “For now, just get to class.” Taemin gave Kai one last hug before hurrying off to the class he was now late for.

 

 

“Hyung, what do I do?”

“Be yourself.”

“But what if he doesn’t like that?”

“Then pretend to be someone else.”

The two boys whispered hastily back and forth as they entered the cafeteria, Kai cautiously looking around for Yoojae. It appeared that they weren’t there yet so Taemin dragged Kai to the lunch line, trying to make him pick out the food he wanted.

“Kai, you’re acting strange. Usually you’d be crying over which food to get,” Taemin stated, looking at his taller friend peculiarly.

“How can I think of eating at a time like this?!”

“Gosh, just calm down.”

“Hi, Kai!” Yoojin chirped, suddenly popping up behind them with her older brother in tow. “Do you mind if we sit at the table I usually sit at?”

Kai, quickly overcoming his startled state, nodded and said, “Y-Yeah sure, whatever makes you comfortable.”

“Cool,” she said simply then motioned to her brother behind her, “This is my brother, Yoojae.”

Yoon Yoojae simply waved to him but didn’t smile. He wasn’t normally one for many words. Noticing Taemin’s small form behind in front of Kai in line, nodded to him as well.

Taemin smiled back and gave a wave to him and Yoojin. “Hi. We haven’t been formally introduced yet; I’m Lee Taemin. This kid’s hyung,” he introduced himself, playfully hitting Kai.

“Nice to meet you,” she replied sweetly. Taemin liked her; she seemed nice enough for Kai.

They all got their food and wandered back to Yoojin and Yoojae’s table then taking their seats with Taemin and Kai sitting next to each other across from the siblings. There was a slightly awkward feel with Yoojae silently staring down the two boys but Taemin and Yoojin didn’t seem very bothered by it; Kai was the only one having a mini heart attack.

“So, you and Kai are biology partner?” Taemin asked Yoojin, trying to make conversation.

“Yeah,” she said excitedly, “He’s a huge help in that class actually. He said he’d help me with History this weekend too.”

At this, Yoojae visibly seemed interested. “Is he? You didn’t tell me that,” he said.

“I’m telling you now,” she replied cheekily, making Taemin silently laugh, his shoulders shaking.

“Well then,” Yoojae began, “I’m going to be blunt. You like Yoojin, don’t you?” Yoojae was staring stonily at Kai, making Kai shift nervously in his seat. Taemin smirked at his dongsaeng’s flustering and at Yoojin’s pink cheeks.

“N-No—”

“You don’t? Why.”

“N-No, I do—”

“You do? What makes you think you’re worthy?”

“Wha—”

“If you think I’d allow you to be around her when I’m not around, you’re sadly mistaken.”

“I wasn’t—”

“Do you want to be her boyfriend?”

“Uh…”

Without waiting for an answer, Yoojae stuffed a spoonful of rice in his mouth before taking his tray of food and dumping it in the trash before walking out of the cafeteria. Kai didn’t know what to do but stare blankly at the table. Yoojin was smiling as if that didn’t happen and Taemin was looking at her confusedly.

“So I take it Yoojae sunbae is not joining us…?” he asked.

“Oh he did,” Yoojin said, “But he’s finished so he doesn’t need to be here anymore. And by the way Kai, I’m sure he likes you enough to let us hang out this weekend.”

“H-How do you figure that?” Kai asked, his voice sounding strained.

“Well he didn’t drag you out with him. Usually if he doesn’t like people, he drags them to the gym where his kendo stick is stored.”

“Oh…”

“So what time should we meet Saturday?”

Taemin was the one to discuss the details with Yoojin while Kai slowly recovered from his stressful endeavor.