Break Down

Best Friends

 

Kai was furious. He could practically feel the rage flowing through his veins and could hear ringing in his ears. He didn’t even bother to attend clubs today after school. Instead he rushed home and to haven in his room, screaming and throwing whatever he could get his hands on. He throw pillows, books, it didn’t matter—he just needed to vent and he didn’t know how else to release it.

Soon his screaming turned into sobbing, and his violent acts made him crumple into a ball on the middle of the floor. He pulled his legs up to his chest to hide his face from nothing no one as he sobbed, releasing his frustrations.

He couldn’t place where his anger was coming from but it was rather unnerving to him. Was all the stress from schooling getting to him? Was it just hormones from just being a teenager? He knew he wasn’t mad at anyone—not at Taemin, his other friends, teachers, nor his parents. Where was all this coming from?

In a way, it was scary—maybe most of his hysterical crying was striding from that; the confusion and fear of not knowing why he was like this.

Whatever this feeling was, he did not like it.

Reaching for his phone in his pocket, he shakily sent a text message he was sure was abundant in spelling errors and curled up in the fetal position holding his head in his hands.

It didn’t take long for Taemin to get there, bursting into his friend’s room and immediately taking the crumpled boy into his arms, rocking in a back and forth movement to soothe the boy, whispering soft comforting words. Kai, feeling a rush of relief that he wasn’t alone anymore, began crying again but not as bad as before, clenching his fists to Taemin’s shirt.

Kai now felt a little bad that his hyung had left in the middle of his club activities for him, but he was just so glad to have someone with him. Everything was less frightening this way.

“What’s wrong, Kai-ah?” Taemin asked worriedly when his dongsaeng had finally calmed down.

Kai shook his head, whispering hoarsely, “’Dunno, hyung.”

Taemin nodded to himself. He sighed, rubbing soothing circles on Kai’s back. “It’ll be alright.”

Eventually, Kai had fallen asleep and Taemin laid him down on the floor, covering him with a blanket before getting up to reorganize the trashed room. Taemin hoped tomorrow would be a better day for his best friend.