Best Friends

Best Friends

 

An average day at the elementary school was kids laughing and playing, creating pictures drawn with crayons and learning the colors and numbers. The teachers always gave proud smiles at the children playing and learning.

An average for a little boy named Kai was being cornered into the wall where the backpacks were hung during playtime. He was always teased by another little boy about something trivial. Today it was about the Hello Kitty keychain hooked on his blue backpack. Kai held his head downcast, trying not to show his sad face.

“Hello Kitty is for girls only. Are you a girl?” the bigger boy sneered, pointing an accusing finger at Kai. Kai shook his head furiously. He wasn’t a girl. And what was wrong with the keychain? He liked it. This kid was being stupid.

“Are you gonna cry? You’re such a baby. Baby~,” the kid teased, now poking Kai’s shoulder hard, making Kai wince. Kai started to whimper, wanting to shrink to a small size and hide forever.

Just then, another little boy with dark brown hair came over.  He was a very small child with really bony arms. He came over to Kai and stood in front of him, resting his small hands on his hips defiantly.

“Leave him alone! You’re being a meanie. You’re a big, fat meanie! I like his keychain so there’s nothing wrong with it. You’re Pororo keychain has no leg, so you’re stupid,” the bony kid defended. He turned and grabbed Kai’s hand, pulling him away from the bully and to the opposite corner with the blocks.

He sat them down, and pulled out a bucket of blocks from the shelf and dumped it in front of them. The little kid looked to Kai with a toothy grin.

“I’m Taemin. I’m six,” he said, holding up six tiny fingers to Kai’s face to show his age. “What’s your name?”

Kai looked at him shyly, but introduced himself nonetheless. “I’m Kai. I’m still five. My birthday is in January,” he said.

Taemin’s smiled grew even wider.

“I’m your hyung!” he cheered proudly. He pushed some blocks closer to Kai. “Play with the blocks with me.”

Kai couldn’t help but affected by Taemin infectious smile and didn’t hold back at the grin that was forming on his own face. “Okay,” he said simply and began stacking a couple square blocks, finishing it with a triangle shaped block on top. “Look! It’s a house!”

Taemin giggled and placed a few more square blocks attached to the little house along with more triangle ones. “Now it’s a big house! So both of us can live in it and play all day!” he said, pointing to their creation.

The two boys grinned at each other before continuing their block game, building more housed and other buildings, creating a city of sorts. The two were so lost in their play time, they didn’t even notice when they’re parents had arrived to take them home.

Soon, the two were parting ways at the gate, hands in their parents’ bigger hands.

“See you tomorrow, Kai!” Taemin said, waving at his new friend as he began walking towards his father’s car.

“By, hyung!”

That was the day Kai and Taemin became best friends.