Stomach Aches

Best Friends

 

It was Saturday, Taemin and Kai’s day to spend the entire day together. Taemin’s father usually worked on the weekends so he was never home with the boys while Taemin’s mother would be there to supervise the too. Unfortunately, she had been called in to cover for a coworker who called in sick.

So it was just the two boys in the house alone. Luckily for everyone, they weren’t the type to do anything crazy when no one was there.

So just like any day they were together with nothing totally exciting to do, they just lazed around and watched TV, read comic books, and ate junk food and candy with Kai consuming most of it (his excuse being, “I’m a growing boy!”).

But about an hour after eating, he was now regretting he ever did that.

“Hyung, my tummy doesn’t feel good…,” Kai said shakily, clutching his stomach as he stood in the doorway of Taemin’s room. Kai had excused himself to the bathroom earlier, patiently sitting in front of the toilet for several minutes before emptying the contents of his small stomach into it.

It wasn’t a pleasant experience vomiting alone, hardly able to breathe. He literally felt like he was going to die.

Taemin, who was reading a comic book on his bed, looked up alarmed. He sprung up from his seat and hurried to his dongsaeng worried. “Are you okay?” he asked concernedly.

Kai only shook his head as he felt his nausea returning, his face turning very pale. Taemin grabbed his hand and gently led him to his bed, making his friend lie down so he could grab a bucket, a bottle of water, and a cool washcloth.

He handed a big, red bucket to Kai, who took his graciously so he could clutch onto it tightly for support.

Taemin also grabbed the home phone and dialed his mother’s number. It rang a few times before she answered, “Hello? What is it, sweetie? I need to get back to work.”

“Neh, umma, but Kai is sick. I think he’s gonna throw up…,” Taemin said uncertainly. He heard Kai groan painfully and quickly added, “His stomach is really bothering him.”

“Oh dear…,” his mother muttered, conflicted. “Make him some ginger tea; hot or cold. Make sure he has a bucket near him and call Kai’s mother to pick him up. Can you do that?”

“Neh! Thanks, umma.”

“I’ll call you later to check up on you, baby. Tell Kai I hope he feels better,” she said before hanging up her phone.

Following his mother’s instructions, Taemin quickly told Kai he’d be right back and dashed down the stairs to the kitchen to make the tea. While it was brewing, he grabbed an ice pack from the freezer and wrapped it in a towel. The tea finished brewing so he poured it into a glass before taking that and the ice pack up the stairs.

He set the tea down on his night table so he could place the ice pack underneath Kai’s neck. He had grown paler and it seemed he had thrown up again in the bucket. He tapped his friend’s arm and Kai cracked open his eyes.

“I feel terrible,” Kai moaned.

“I know you do, I’m sorry. My mom says to feel better. Here, can you sit up a little?” Taemin said, adjusted the pillows as Kai weakly lifted himself up. After adjusting the pillows properly, he leaned Kai back against them so that he was now sitting up.

“Here,” Taemin said, grabbing the tea. “Can you try sipping on this?”

Kai nodded weakly, grabbing the tea with shaky hands and taking a couple of sips. He drank nearly half the cup before handing it back to Taemin.

“I’m gonna call your mom to pick you up,” Taemin said, grabbing the phone again.

“I’m sorry, hyung…,” Kai muttered, sounding upset.

Taemin smiled down at his friend and petted the top of his head. “It’s fine, just feel better. I’ll be right back.”

Taemin quickly called Kai’s mother, who actually laughed when he reiterated the situation to her. “Again? That boy really needs to watch what he intakes,” she said lightheartedly. “I’ll be over there in fifteen minutes. I’m sorry to trouble you with my bottomless pit son.”

“No, it’s fine. I told him to stop eating but he didn’t listen. I hope he feels better soon though; I hate seeing him in pain.”

“Aigoo, you’re such a good friend. I’ll be there shortly.”

Taemin hung up the phone and headed back into his room. Kai had his eyes shut gently, hands on his stomach. Taemin crawled onto his bed too to sit beside him. Taemin grabbed one of his hands in his, squeezing it comfortingly and Kai squeezed back.

“Thanks you for taking care of me, hyung,” Kai hummed weakly, opening his eyes slightly to look at his friend.

Taemin just smiled in response, shaking their hands gently.

On time, Kai’s mother let herself into the house and helped her son the car while Taemin carried his things. 

 

 


 

Please comment and subscribe~