Loneliness

My secret (내 비밀)

A week already passed since your parents passed away and you still couldn't believe everything went crashing in a moment. The pain you were feeling couldn't be described as you see everyone in the house suffered the loss with you and your grandpa. 

It made it hard for you to move and even eat. It felt like it has no purpose anymore because of the sadness that was eating you alive. Everyone tried to cheer you up, even the employees in the house but it was all useless and you felt guilty for not being able to give them what they wanted. 

After all, they just waited to make you feel happy. Eating would definitely make up for it but you couldn't even swallow anything because it goes right back up as soon as you take it in.

 

Beside that, your grand father, became more busier day by day due to your family's business that was returned to his care again with your father's passing. You thought you would at least have him by your side during this time but it seemed like he has also died with them because he was rarely home. The warm and lively mansion slowly turned cold and dead as its owners' continued to mourn for their loss.

 

The little princess who used to be bubbly and kind, became cold and silent. You started spending most of your time alone in your dark room. You felt ease without seeing the servants giving you pitiful glances and you thought it was better for them not to see you so they won't get worried and get reminded that their master just died.

 

You were lying on your bed just like every other day when someone knocked on your door. Normally, you would respond quickly and tell them to come in because you didn't like to keep people waiting. But this time, you ignored it and kept glancing at your family picture where your mom and dad were smiling with you. Ignoring everything around you has become a habit but you felt better not knowing or bothering yourself with anything. Thinking about other things always get you hurt so why bother, right?

 

*Miss you mama, papa.* You didn't even know when, but you were already crying. *Why did you leave me alone?* The knocks on the door were persistent and you heard your grand father's voice shortly. 

 

"Hee Young. It's me grandpa." He said and you sat up before sighing. You only have your grandpa now and even if you try to exclude yourself from everyone, you wouldn't do it to him. He's all you've got and you're all he's got. From now on, it's just the two of you and you're determined to be there when he needs you.

You went to open the door and welcomed him with a forced smile. "Please come in grandpa." you led him to your bed and the lights only to grimace at the mess of a room you've got. But the old man didn't even scold you for it and sat on your bed before looking at the big family portrait hanged on the wall.

You sat beside him quietly and waited for him to speak.

 

"I know it's been hard for you Hee Young-ah. Sorry grandpa couldn't be with you all this time. I had to fix your parent's last wish and assure the company." he apologized and you nodded in understanding.

"Don't worry about me grandpa. I'll be just fine."

 

He turned at you with sad eyes and caressed your cheeks. "You're a strong and kind child. Your parents are really proud of you." he said as a tear came out from his wrinkled eyes. As soon as you saw him cry, you couldn't help but cry yourself, letting out the bottled sadness and longing you were keeping all this time. Both of you cried in each other's arms and the old man made sure to hold you close, making sure his only family won't fall apart.

 

The workers all heard your cries and cried along too. They were sad to lose their masters and sad seeing their beloved Young miss cry in agony and sadness.

 

 

 

 

*Grandpa and I are lonely. Help us mama and papa.*