Lee Da Ran

My secret (내 비밀)

Your grandfather was sitting in his office table while you sat on the sofa just nearby with the documents Butler Richard has given you. There, you have important papers like birth certificate, passport, identification card and etc. All information about the invented person named Lee Daran with your  photo attached.

 

"We have to conceal your real identity for your safety and for the test to succeed so starting tomorrow; you will be called Lee Da Ran, an orphan. Your parents just died and you don’t have any family left. Other details are in that documents. And also, you must start looking for a job and school you'll be studying." Master Kwon, your grandfather, explained as you listened to him while scanning the papers, trying to memorize the lie you're going to live in for the next two years.

"You..." the old man hesitated but continued his instructions. "...can move out once you found an apartment to live." He said in a pained voice and you gave hin an excited smile to assure him you didn't feel kicked out, even though you did. It must've been hard for him to not see you everyday already and kicking you out would really hurt him but it has to be done.

 

"Any questions, Hee young-ah?" he asked gently and you shook your head, fixing the papers before looking at him.

"None." you replied. "Grandpa?" 

"Yes?"

"Can I start tomorrow? I want to start looking for a school and apartment." You looked at them in determination and the old man and his butler were a bit taken aback of your acceptance of the challenge. They expected you to be sad and down but you're full of determination that shocked them.

 

"O-of course, Richard will drive you tomorrow." your grandpa said but you refused. 

"Anni. I'll go myself." You didn't have the slightest idea how but you'll manage. "I should familiarize myself from public transportation and all those things I saw in Amanda's dramas." you suggested.

You know about public transport and things because you watched dramas with Amanda every night. How they live in a small room, work in a grocery store and such things.

 

Now they're even more shocked. "O-okay then. Go to my office tomorrow morning and I’ll prepare everything." the elder said and you stood up before bowing to him.

"I better prepare myself for tomorrow. Good night grandpa." you said and left the two dumbfounded.

 

You rushed to your room and told quickly asked for Amanda to bring you newspapers and stuffs where you can get information of dorms or apartments for rent. Amanda gave you advise about taking cheaper and smaller room since you'll be living alone. Getting a roommate might risk the confidentiality of the test so going solo was the best option.

 

You were busy applying for schools scholarships online and looking for a part time job as the three other maids helped look for available apartments.

 

 

The next morning, you woke up extra early and went to your grandpa’s office to take the money. You left most of them in your room and only took some enough for the transportation before you went your way. 

Thanks to Google maps and internet, you managed to go to your destination without getting lost. People were amiable enough to tell you which way to go when you ask them about directions too.

You went to 5 private schools to do the scholarship exams. Amanda and the other workers were confident you could get a scholarship despite of entering late. It wasn't a secret that you're smart and has always been first in your studies but with your current background, being an orphan and poor, the schools might hessitate to take you but as Amanda said, it doesn't hurt to try.

 

Luck must be really on your side that day because there was a cosmetic shop hiring nearby the last school you applied at. It was already closed when you got there but you took the information and reminded yourself to call it the first thing next morning. 

 

 

After a long day, you went back home to see the employees and your grandpa waiting for outside patiently. Your feet hurt from all the running and walking and the stress on using crowded metro was almost unbearable but seeing everyone waiting for your return made you think it's all worth it.

From now onwards, you have to work hard, not only for yourself and for the family business but for all those who care about you and worry about you. You want to become successful for them and be the person they could always count on just like them when she needed them. Step by step, you walked towards the main entrance and their face lightened up the second they saw you walking towards them. The employees quickly greeted you with a bow and you greeted them back with a smile.

 

"What are you all doing here? It's windy out here." you said and took off your scarf and put it on your grandfather who was smiling proudly at you.

"We were waiting for your return young miss." Richard replied and motioned the maids to take care of the bag you were holding but you refused and told them that it's okay.

"Sorry to worry you. Let's go in and I'll tell you my adventures today." you said and they all followed as you started telling your grandfather how complicated public transportation is in South Korea.

 

After telling the story during supper, you decided to bid your grandpa good night and call it a night because you still have many things to do for the next day. The old man didn't want to let go of you yet though but settled in tucking you in to your bed for the night. He still couldn't believe his granddaughter went out alone and liked the way things worked there.

 

Then, after making sure you were asleep, the old man went out of your room only to see Richard with all the photos of you in your adventure that day. Of course, he wouldn't let you go alone. He hired a detective to follow you and protect you just in case you get involved with the wrong people.

 

Master Kwon looked at the picture of you looking at the subway map. "She's surprisingly doing fine all by herself. She’s just like her father." he said and Richard just listened.

"Our Young Miss has a strong heart and I believe she can pass this test." the butler said and your grandpa nodded.

"Ji Young and Sandara will watch over their child. No need to worry. But tell those detectives and body guards to keep up their good job on following Hee Young." your grandpa sighed and went to his room to call it a night.

 

 

 

 

*Watch over her Ji Young, Sandara*