The Box

My secret (내 비밀)

 

Daran was busy working after school and as usual, Jongin picked her up after work. She closed the store and turned to see her friend waiting for her leaning on his car playing with his car keys.

 

"Kaja?" she said and Jongin nodded. As the both of them drive, Daran was puffed on the seat tired of all the work while Jongin stole glances at her.

 

The ride back was short and they arrived in front of Daran's apartment. She got down and thanked Jongin as she offered her friend to have dinner with her but he said no saying that he has to eat dinner with his folks who just came back from their business trip. With that, Daran waved him goodbye and went in to her apartment.

 

She re-heated the food she made last night and served it for her dinner then went to sleep. Days passed by quickly and today, is the day when the ball is going to be held.

Luckily, she managed to convince one of her coworkers to fill in for her.

 

The classes ended earlier as everyone was busy talking about the ball preparations. Daran went to the lockers accompanied by Jongin and placed her things in the tiny box.

 

Then Jongin asked "Do you have something to wear for tonight?" looking worried and curious. "We could still go shopping." he added.

She turned to him closing her locker giving her friend a assuring smile. "Don't worry I have a dress already." she said confidently.

 

Luckily, she took a few dresses when she packed her things on their mansion. The one her mom bought her for her 16th birthday before they died. The dress she's supposed to wear on her 16th birthday party.

 

"Okay then. Let's go back. I'll drive you home." Jongin beamed and took her hands as they walked to the parking lot. He dropped his friend in front of her apartment.

 

"I'll pick you up at 8?" he asked and the young lady nodded smiling as she waved him goodbye.

 

Daran went in to her apartment and to her surprise, there was a pretty box lying in front of her apartment's door. She picked it up and read the small card with it.

 

 

'Hee Young-ah

 Grandpa heard that you'll be attending a ball tonight.

Wear this dress for grandpa

it's your gift for working hard.

I miss you granddaughter of mine.

-grandpa.'

 

It said.

 

Her eyes turned watery as she looked up at the ceiling trying to hold up her tears as she forced a smile. She let out a sigh and smiled.

 

 

 

 

*Be strong Hee Young-ah. Grandpa is counting on you.*