Chapter 56

Masks

"Congratulations!" The girls shouted when I entered the dorm. There was even a confetti thrown.

"What is this?" I asked confused, trying to remove the confetti stuck in my hair.

"Leader-nim, please take good care of us." Yujin smiled and bowed.

"You don't have to do this.." I said.

"We wanted to." Sey said.

"You wanted to, I didn't." Sumi muttered.

"Here." Eun Hee gave me a bottle of beer. "To our debut!"

"To our debut.." I followed along, smiling.

"Don't drink too much, we have schedules tomorrow." Sey stated.

"Yes, mom." Yujin teased.

 

~

 

"What do we do about our introduction?" Eun Hee asked. All of us had a few more drinks by now.

"Let's make a vote and decide if we want to use it or not." I offered.

"Let's do it." Sey said. "I actually think we should use it. I mean, the company thought about it a lot and they wouldn't do something that will hurt us.. Besides,it fits our image and concept.."

"I think we should use it as well.. It's not like we have a better idea.." I said.

"I'm against it. We can find something better and try to save our image a little." Sumi said.

"Well, since our image anyway thanks to our name, it doesn't really matter if we use it or not, and it does fit." Yujin reasoned.

"Looks like it's settled.." Eun Hee said. "And I kind of like it. I know what you think, but it's not like other groups have better introductions.. Let's make it an advantage and something that will make us unique."

"So are we really doing the mint thing?" Sumi asked.

"Yes. Let's just be grateful we are not called 'Ahjumma Power' and learn to work with our name." I said.

"Let's add a hand gesture to make it special and more public friendly!" Eun Hee offered.

"I know!" Yujin beamed. "Let's move our hands like this." she started to demonstrate something. "It goes from the inside to the outside. It's like a flower opening up." she repeated the movement. "We can do it in the 'refresh your day' part."

"No." Sey argued.

"Just try it once." Eun Hee offered.

"Fine." Sey sighed. "Let's do it together once." We stood up in a line according to our age. "Do it like your life depends on it, it can be our actual greeting."

"One, two, three." I started counting when everyone was ready.

"Hello, we are peppermint, and we are going to refresh your day." We said together, including the hand movement, and bowed like there is an actual crowd in front of us. After that we started laughing like crazy.

"This is so bad.." I mumbled while still laughing.

"This is what you chose.." Sumi frowned.

"So, are we embarrassing ourselves together?" Sey asked. "We need to decide if we are going for it or not."

"Let's do it. We are already ed up with our name, let's just learn to embrace it." Yujin said.

"Just think of the satisfaction of succeeding with this terrible image." Eun Hee said.

"They are right." I said. "We can do well with or without our ridiculous name and introduction. Let's do it!"

"So, mint till the end?" Sey asked, putting her hand in the center.

"Right." I put my hand on hers, and the rest of the girls did the same, except Sumi. We looked at her, waiting for her to do the same.

"It's not like we have a choice.." she sighed and finaly joined us.

 

~

 

I was getting ready to go to sleep when my phone rang. I smiled when I saw Yongguk's name on the screen.

"Hey, babe." his deep voice was heard.

"Hey, oppa.."

"What are you doing right now?"

"I was about to go to sleep.. What about you?"

"I'm outside your building." a smile formed on my face.

"I'm coming." I hanged up before he could respond.

"Going out?" Sey asked while I gathered my things, and I noticed she was putting some make up on.

"Yes, he is outside." I smiled. "How about you?"

"Same." she smiled and rearranged her hair.

"Don't come back late, we need to wake up early tomorrow."

"Sure. Have fun."

"You too."

 

~

 

"Oppa!" I jumped on Yongguk's back when I noticed him.

"Are you drunk?" he smiled, but still held me so I won't fall.

"I only drank a little." I pouted and tightened my grip around him. He laughed.

"Yah, spoiled brat, you can walk. Leave the guy alone." Himchan scolded, and I finally noticed he was there as well. I really didn't notice him earlier.

"I don't want to." I stuck my tongue out.

"He is an elderly person. What if his back hurts afterwards?"

"I will take care of him." I stated.

"You see?" Yongguk asked Himchan truimphantly.

"Dude, your'e doomed. If you spoil her from the start she will do it until the end." Himchan said.

"Fine with me. Why don't you worry about you own girl first?" Yongguk retorted.

"Oh, she is putting make up on. She will be here soon." I said.

"Why didn't you put makeup on as well? Don't you want to look pretty for me?" Yongguk teased.

"I'm tired." I yawned to emphasize my statement. "You should like me either way, regardless of my makeup.."

"Smart girl." Himchan commented.

"I like you either way, I was just teasing you. You are pretty without makeup." Yongguk said. At that moment Sey came down and joined us.

"Good your'e here, I was going crazy with those two.." Himchan told Sey and wrapped his arms around her.

"I missed you." she said and kissed him.

"Yuck. How are we the disgusting couple when you two are doing this?" I questioned while watching them make out like they are alone. "You saw each other just a few hours ago."

"Shut up. It's better than being sugary like you two. I get sick while watching you interact." Sey retorted after seperating from Himchan. "Besides, you'll get to our phase someday as well."

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"Grow up a little and you'll understand." she stuck her tongue out.

"Don't pressure her." Yongguk told Sey. "Everyone have their own pace."

"He is right, stop being rude." Himchan scolded her as well.

"I didn't say anything wrong or pressured her.." she argued.

"Oppa, let's go. I'm probably heavy." I said to Yongguk quietly. He was still carrying me on his back.

"It's fine." he reassured me. "You are as light as a feather."

"Oppa, let's go, we have plans." Sey nudged Himchan's arm.

"Right.." Himchan said. "Let's have a double date someday.."

"Maybe.." I said.

"Bye guys, have fun tonight." Sey waved us goodbye.

"You too." I said and they went to their seperate way.

 

"Where are we going?" I asked when Yongguk started walking.

"Our park." he stated.

"Get down, princess.." Yongguk said and squated down so I can get off his back and sit on the bench.

"You could have told me to get down sooner, I don't want to burden you.." I folded my knees to my chest.

"It's fine." Yongguk smiled and sat down next to me. He stared at me for a while without saying anything. I started to get self concious about myself. Stupid. I should have put some makeup on or something, I probably look like a mess.. And my clothes aren't that pretty either..

"Why are you staring at me like that?" I asked.

"You are prettier without makeup and when you are wearing normal clothes."

"Thanks." I blushed.

"Why are you still blushing everytime I compliment you?" he laughed.

"It's your fault." I pouted. "It's not like I can control it.."

"It's cute." Yongguk smiled.

"Oppa.."

"What?"

"Do you think I can do this?"

"Do what?"

"Debuting.." I said quietly.

"Of course you'll do well." he put my hand in his. "You are talented and you are a hard worker. You really want this, so I think you will do the best you can to succeed."

"What if I mess up?" I looked at him.

"You have the girls and the staff and me.." he traced petterns on the back of my hand with his fingers. It's calming. "Stop worrying too much." he poked my forehead.

"I want to do well." I admitted, lowering my gaze.

"You will do well, just believe in yourself a little more." Yongguk smiled.

"It's my responsibility.." I said quietly.

"You are in a group, not a solist. It's everyone's responsibility equally. Just be yourself and don't carry everything on your own."

"Thanks, oppa." I smiled. "Do you want to see our greeting?"

"Sure.."

I got up and did our 'improved' greeting. Yongguk started laughing. Without stoping.

"Oppa!" I exclaimed.

"Sorry, it's just so funny.." he held onto his stomach.

"Thanks a lot. It's nice having a supporting boyfriend.." I said sarcastically and turned to leave.

"Babe, wait!" he grabbed my arm. "I didn't mean it, I'm sorry. It was just funny."

"Let go!" I pulled my arm away from is grip and started walking back to my dorm, annoyed.

"At least let me walk you home.." he called after me. I turned around and gave him the middle finger. After that I continued walking back home. I didn't bother to check if he is following me or not.

 

~

 

"What happened to you?" Yongguk asked Himchan when he entered their room. He had a cut near his bottom lip and his cheek was slightly red, like he was slapped.

"I laughed at their greeting and when she got annoyed I asked her if she is on her period because I seriously thought that's the reason for her exaggerated reaction.." he sighed while flopping down on his bed.

"Hyeri gave me the middle finger because I dared to laugh. That was after she claimed I'm not supporting her.." Yongguk sighed.

"Crazy girls.. It's not our fault it's funny."

"What are you going to do?" Yongguk looked at Himchan.

"Beg." Himchan sighed. "You?"

"Aegyo."

 

~

 

In the morning we had our photoshoot for the concept photos and normal photos as well. The girls were excited and nervous since it was their first photoshoot. We are supposed to do individul pictures and a group ones. The photographer and the staff introduced themselves. They look nice.

 

We started with the concept photos. All of us had mint-colored hair extentions hidden in our hair, indicating our group name and our fandom color as well. I wonder if people will notice it..

I was first, while the other girls were watched from the side or getting ready for their own shoot. My 'product' is mint candies. I was sitting on the floor and there were a lot of candies scattered around me. The clothes I had were pretty, but the problem was that I was wearing a skirt, and sitting on the floor wasn't the most comfortable thing to do. I kept worrying about exposing my body too much.

After a few shots we were done. I went to sit on the side and watched Eun Hee doing her shoot. They had a giant tea cup and she was supposed to sit inside of it. It looked like one of the rides in an amusment park. It looked funny since she is small and the mug was so big. They made sure to put a big tea bag outside the mug to match.

While waiting for Sey to start her shoot I checked my phone. It was a mistake, since I had 30 massages, all from Yongguk. I started reading them:

 

I miss you.

I'm sorry.

Please call me.

I'm bored.

 

I rolled my eyes. Next were selfies of him doing aegyo and other poses. Some of them had massages saying he miss me or that he is sorry.

I wrote a reply - "You should have put that effort in working instead of wasting your time taking those selfies and texting me so much."

I waited for his answer. I admit that those selfies were cute, but I'm still mad at him about yesterday.

Meanwhile, Sey was doing her shoot. She was eating a big chocholate. She made several faces to the camera and it looked like she had fun.

A text from Yongguk came - "I can't work, I need an inspiration. My muse is gone :\". I typed a reply - "Where is it?". As a response, he sent me the adress of the studio we were at. Idiot.. Adorable idiot. My idiot.

I decided to play with him a little. I can't give in that easily. "I'll tell Sumi to come see you after we finish here."

"And what am I supposed to do with her?" I couldn't help but smile because of his reply.

"I don't know.. Whatever you do with your muse."

"Then are you letting me do inappropriate things with her?" My face heated. That jerk..

"Touch another girl and I'm going to kill you with my own hands." I typed furiously and put my phone away. Idiot. He knows what buttons to push to get me worked up..

I turned to look at the girls. Now was Yujin's turn. She was supposed to brush her teeth. They made her look like she just got out of bed and she is still sleepy. While watching her I got another massage, probably from Yongguk. I opened it - "I would pay to see your face right now.."

"I really want to rearrange yours right now. Do you prefer a punch or a kick?"

"Kisses." I rolled my eyes at the cheesy reply. I typed an answer - "They are out of stock."

"I will wait for a refill :)" - The answer didn't took long. I decided to ignore it.

I looked at the girls again. Sumi was doing her shoot now.. She just finished her bath and she had a face mask on. Her hair was wrapped in a towel as well, indicating she just washed it. After the individual shots we changed clothes again for the group photos. For the group picture we gathered around a giant mint leaf. It was supposed to be floating and we were supposed to look at it in amazment. We had to shhot it several times because we had a hard time faking our astonishment..

 

Finally we started with the normal photos. The hair extentions and the weird concepts were gone, and it was more natural. We were either playing around or sitting down or posing while standing. When I finished talking my pictures I took my phone out again. I had 4 more massages from Gukkie, saying he is sorry and that I'll call him back or text him. He sounded a little panicked since I didn't answer him. I typed a reply - "Sorry, I had to change clothes and do the photoshoot.."

He replied - "When do you finish?"

"Two hours, I think."

"I miss you."

"I.. need to go back to work."

With that, I turned my focus back to the girls and the photoshoot.

 


 

 

Author's Note:

 

Looks like Ahjumma power was a hit lol. It was such a bad name..

 

Thanks for reading, commenting, subscribing and upvoting my story. It means a lot to me! <3

 

M.