Chapter 128

Masks

"Why are we doing a pre-recording again instead of the live show?" Sumi asked Jinu, yawning.

"Because Hyeri and Sey have schedules afterwards and they can't attend the live show. Besides, it gives you more time to rest or practice."

"We have schedules?" I asked, surprised. Why didn't he tell us about it beforehand?

"Yes. You are guests in 'Hello Counselor'."

"Oh, I love that show!" Sey exclaimed.

"So it's your fault we're up this early." Sumi complained, glaring at me and Sey.

"You were supposed to be up at this hour even if they didn't have an additional schedule." Jinu reminded her.

"Congratulations!" Yujin said happily. "I'm really happy for you."

"You have to represent us well." Eun Hee said.

"Don't worry, we'll do our best." I smiled.

"Let's go." Jinu said.

 

~

 

Yongguk entered the kitchen, smiling. He and Hyeri are not back together yet, but they made some kind of progress yesterday, even if she'll deny it. At least he knows how she truly feels and now he is determined to make things work again.

"You seem to be in a good mood today." Himchan commented, smiling.

"I guess.."

"Did anything happen?" Himchan asked curiously. He really is happy to see Yongguk in a better mood and he truly hopes that Hyeri and Yongguk will get back together because they are a perfect match.

"No."

"Then why are you so happy?" Himchan inquired.

"I talked to her yesterday." Yongguk finally admitted and Himchan's smile grew wider.

"Are you back together then?"

"Not yet. But I'm working on it."

 

~

 

After the pre-recording we had a busking and a fansign. It seems like there are more fans every fansign, and it's a good sign. When the fansign finally ended I sat in the van, exhausted.

"Rough day, huh?" Sey sat next to me.

"And we barely started." I sighed.

"It will be fine." she squeezed my hand.

"I can't remember when was the last time I slept more than three hours straight, and even that is rare.. I usually sleep less than that. I feel like a zombie."

"I know, but we already finished half of the promotion cycle, so promotions are ending soon and you'll be able to sleep."

"I hope so.."

 

~

 

When we reached the company we had a short break before me and Sey had to leave for our schedule. When Sohyun noticed me she called me to come over to her desk.

"Hey.." I smiled. "How are you today?"

"Great." Sohyun smiled. "How are you?"

"Tired." I admitted.

"You're strong, I'm sure you can handle this."

"Thanks. Why were you looking for me?"

"Here." Sohyun gave me a wrapped box with a familiar note. "The mysterious guy strikes again."

"Thank you." I took the box from her. The note had one sentence on it - Your laughter is my favorite sound. I smiled, blushing.

"The guy seems nice." Sohyun commented.

"Did you talk to him?" I asked.

"Yes, when he brought me this."

"How is he?"

"Handsome. And he looks like a good guy."

"Did he say something?"

"Just to give you this."

"I see.."

"Do you really have no idea who leaves you these small gifts?"

"No."

"Okay. I should make coffee for the CEO, but I'll see you around.." Sohyun said as she stood up.

"Okay. Have a nice day."

"You too." Sohyun smiled and I started looking for Jinu, the box in my hand.

I opened the box carefully. Inside there was a bunch of funny picutres of the boys. I looked at the pictures and with each picture my smile grew wider. I even laughed at some of them because of the funny scene in the picture. Whoever that person is, he definitely knows me.

"Why are you smiling like an idiot?" Sey asked.

"He left me something again." I smiled happily. At least I know he still cares and that he hasn't forgotten about me.

"What is it this time?" she asked curiously.

"Look." I showed her a picture of Himchan when he just woke up.

"Give me that." she snatched the picture from my hand, shoving it into her pocket.

"Yah! That's mine!" I protested.

"Don't make fun of Channie." she pouted.

"I'm not. But you have to admit that picture is funny.."

"Himchan is handsome. Don't laugh at him."

"Alright. He is handsome, even if it doesn't really show in this picture." I said. She glared at me and I chuckled.

"Girls, we need to go." Jinu declared when he saw us.

"Yes, oppa."

 

~

 

 

The set was just like you see on TV. I know it's supposed to be that way, but it's nice seeing it in real life like this. Before the recording we greeted the staff and got our hair and makeup done. When we were done, the stylist gave us pretty clothes to wear. It's refreshing wearing normal clothes that are not cheerleading uniforms or practice clothes.. I actually feel like a normal girl in my age for a change.

"We are about to start soon." one of the staff members announced.

"Thank you." I said and bowed.

"I'm nervous.." Sey said.

"It will be alright. Just be yourself." I smiled.

"Thank you." she hugged me.

"No problem.." I caressed her hair, trying not to mess it too much.

"Girls." Jinu approached us.

"What is it?" Sey asked.

"Have fun. And don't say something that can get you in trouble. We can't control the editing of the show."

"Yes, oppa."

When we went back to the set we saw the other guests in this episode - Seungkwan and Vernon from Seventeen.

"Should we greet them?" Sey asked me quietly.

"Yes. Don't be rude. They are your seniors." I said and grabbed her hand, pulling her after me.

"Excuse me.." I said quietly. Both of them were already sitting in their places but they smiled when they noticed us.

"It's you again." Seungkwan smiled.

"Yes.." I said shyly.

"Do you know them?" Vernon asked, looking curiously at Seungkwan and us.

"They are promoting together with us. They just debuted." Seungkwan said and turned to us. "I'm sorry, he can be a little clueless sometimes."

"It's fine." I smiled. "I'm Hyeri and this is Sey."

"Nice to meet you." Sey said. "I like your new album!"

"Thank you." both of them bowed.

"Take your places, we are starting in three." The producer said and me and Sey took our places on the other side.

"Good luck!" I whispered in Sey's ear.

"Thanks." she smiled shyly.

"We will counsel you on your unspeakable concerns. National.. Competition on Worries!" the hosts greeted when the recording started and the crowd clapped.

"We have two idol groups with us today." Jung Chan Woo said. "Hyeri and Sey from Peppermint."

"Hello, we are Peppermint and we are going to refresh your day!" we greeted cheerfully and the crowd clapped.

"Seungkwan and Vernon from Seventeen!" Jung Chan Woo introduced the other guests.

"Say the name! Seventeen." Seungkwan and Vernon introduced themselves.

"You just debuted, right?" Jung Chang Woo asked me and Sey.

"Yes. We debuted in the beginning of August." I said.

"How is it?"

"Like a dream come true." I smiled.

"Please show us a part of your song." he asked and me and Sey stood up, doing part of our choreography.

When we finished we sat down in our places. The cast talked to Seventeen a little and they showed their song as well. They looked cool performing it.

The first story was from a mother that is worried because her teenager son doesn't want to shower. The second one was from a wife that her husband keeps collecting things other people threw away and she is tired of it.

"Our last story for today is called 'My Daydreaming Daughter'." Lee Young Ja started reading the story. "My 15 years old daughter is obsessed with kpop. She buys albums and merchandise and spends all her time chasing idols around and watching them, even when she is home. She keeps asking for money because she always finds new groups to follow and she even skips school so she can see her favorite idols. Recently she has a new dream - To be an idol herself. She doesn't want to study because she thinks you don't need to study in order to be an idol. I tried convincing her multiple times to study and even cut her allowance, but nothing helps. What can I do? I'm really worried about her future."

"How were you when you were a kid?" Shin Dong Yup asked.

"I wanted to be a singer since I was a kid, but I did study hard and I didn't follow idols all the time. I cheered for my favorite group from the side because I couldn't afford supporting them further until I started working. I bought my first merchandise with my first salary." I answered.

"What did you buy?" Kim Tae Gyun asked curiously.

"My favorite group, which is my sunbae group today, has characters that represents each member and they are called Matokis, so I bought a giant Matoki doll of my favorite member." I explained and the cast and the crowd started to laugh.

"What does it look like?" Lee Young Ja asked.

"Like a big bunny. Each Matoki has a different color and it looks a little different. They also have different names and characteristics."

"She talks about it so seriously.." Shin Dong Yup commented, making everyone laugh.

"Just so you'll know, Hyeri is a successful fangirl. Today we are in the same company as them and she even collaborated with her favorite member in the past." Sey said and people in the crowd gasped.

"That's admirable." Jung Chan Woo said. "Do you want to tell them something since they are probably watching?"

"B.A.P, I love you!" I said cutely and did a heart with my hands. Everyone cheered and I blushed, covering my face from embarrassment.

"Let's invite the worried mom, Kim Misun." Lee Young Ja said and we all clapped.

The mom looked about forty years old and she was pretty. Her hair was tied and she was small and cheerful. Seungkwan and Vernon helped her get out of the slide and she took her place between Lee Young Ja and me.

"Hello, I'm Kim Misun." the woman introduced herself.

"Please tell us about your daughter." Kim Tae Gyun asked.

"She is fifteen years old. We used to watch music shows together on weekends and she always loved music, but she became more obsessed with it in the last couple of years. I am encouraging her to buy albums and things she like, but it's becoming too much. If she likes a certain artist she buys all the merchandise he has, including things she doesn't need. It's hard when she likes every single artist out there.. I can't afford everything."

"You said she also skips school because of that, right?" Shin Dong Yup asked.

"Yes. You know music show recordings are usually in the morning or at noon, and she should be studying at that time. She goes out of the house in the morning with her school uniforms but she goes to see her idols at a music shows recordings. I thought she was studying, but I started getting calls from her teacher telling me she is not coming to school and that her grades are dropping."

"That's bad.." I mumbled.

"Since you are idols, you probably see a lot of fans like that, right?" Jung Chan Woo asked us and the boys from Seventeen.

"There are always a few fans wearing school uniforms when we're doing music shows, but it's not always the same people because not everyone gets in and we do scold them for that. They should definitely go to school." Seungkwan said.

"Going to school is important." I added.

"My daughter also goes to all the fansigns. For that she needs to buy a lot of albums, so she ends up buying a lot of albums that just take space. I don't have where to store them.. Not to mention it also costs money to get to all those places and I'm always worried about her well being."

"That's hard." Sey said.

"You daughter is here with us, right?" Lee Young Ja asked and the Misun nodded.

"Hello, I'm Soo Ah." a teenager bowed.

"She's pretty." I commented.

"Thank you." the girl blushed.

"You heard your mother.." Lee Young Ja said.

"Yes, I did." Soo Ah said.

"Why do you buy so many albums and merchandise?"

"I want to support the artist I love."

"Who are your favorite idols?" Sey asked.

"EXO, BTS, Big Bang and Twice."

"And you buy all the albums and merchandise of all of them?" Shin Dong Yup asked.

"Yes." Soo Ah answered.

"That's a lot.." I mumbled.

"Your mom says it's hard on her financially."

"I don't spend money on other things, so I think it's fine if I spend money on that." Soo Ah reasoned.

"How much does she spend a month?" I asked the mother.

"A lot. It also depends on their comebacks. In a comeback month it can be more than my salary since there are also the fan meetings."

"That's crazy.." Sey mumbled.

"I can't speak for everyone, but personally I'll be happy if my fans spend a little less money on me as long as they can help their family because I know how it's like to live without money and being a fan is luxury." I said.

"That's really sweet of you." Lee Young Ja commented.

"Why don't you get a job if you want to buy things?" Kim Tae Gyun asked.

"I need to go to the fansigns and other schedules, so it's hard keeping a job like that.." Soo Ah said apologetically.

"Why do you skip school?" I asked.

"I want to go to the schedules. And I also want to be an idol, so I don't think I need to study for that."

"Why do you want to be an idol?" Sey asked curiously.

"It seems fun."

"You won't last long with that attitude.." I commented.

"Why?" she seemed offended.

"I wanted to be an idol because I wanted to perform on stage. I liked singing and dancing since I was a kid, and that's what motivates me to work harder. If you are doing this because you think it will be fun, you are going to be disappointed because this world is only looking glamorous from the outside. It's different once you're part of it." I explained.

"That's true." Vernon said. "People only see the good parts in this world, but this world can be very stressful and dark as well."

"Are you sure you want to be an idol?" I asked the girl again.

"Yes." Soo Ah answered. She seemed determined.

"Since all our guests today are idols, how about you share some things from your experience? The not glamorous things that can happen." Shin Dong Yup offered.

"I'm not sure how it is for guys, but for girls it's unhealthy diets and the pressure to lose weight and to look skinny." I started talking.

"Guys have it as well. Maybe not as strong, but guys' weights are monitored as well." Vernon commented.

"Lack of sleep. I can go on for days without sleeping or with one hour of sleep at night." I added.

"Endless schedules. And you have to be nice to everyone even if you don't feel like it or even if you're sick." Sey said.

"Bad comments online." Seungkwan said.

"Do you get bad comments?" I asked, surprised. It seemed like they are doing well.

"Of course we do. Every Time we won in music shows people made fun of us for not winning on public broadcast or for winning when there wasn't really a competition.." Seungkwan said.

"That's harsh." Jung Chan Woo mumbled.

"You're still in a better situation than us." I joked. "We get to be called copycats and other lovely nicknames."

"We are a five member group but they call us Hyeri and her backup dancers." Sey added.

"You forgot Pepperflop." I reminded her and everyone started to laugh.

"What is that?" Lee Young Ja asked.

"That's the most common comment on articles about us." Sey said. "At first we were offended, but we got used to it and now it's mainly amusing."

"Maybe for you.." I mumbled.

"Right. Hyeri still cries when she read mean comments about her." Sey said.

"You are ruining my tough image." I joked.

"Don't believe her, she is a dictator disguised as an angel." Sey teased.

"Soo Ah, if you really want to be an idol, what are you good at?" I quickly changed the subject.

"Look how she is avoiding it.." Seungkwan commented, making everyone laugh.

"I rap and dance." Soo Ah answered shyly.

"Let's see your talent." Shin Dong Yup said and Soo Ah got on stage.

Soo Ah rapped quite well, and her dancing was surprisingly good. When she finished we all clapped in appreciation and Soo Ah sat back in her place.

"Misun, what do you think of that?" Kim Tae Gyun asked.

"I don't want her to be an idol." Misun said.

"Why?" Sey asked curiously.

"It's not a good profession."

"You know, my parents didn't think that being a singer is a profession either." I said. "They wanted me to be a lawyer or a doctor."

"So what happened when you wanted to be an idol?" Seungkwan asked curiously.

"I left home. My parents were an extreme case, though. When I was a teenager they refused paying for my dancing and singing classes, so I found a job in order to pay for it. When I grew up and still wanted to be an idol they told me that I should leave the house because their daughter is not going to be a singer."

"So you just left?" Vernon asked, surprised.

"Yes."

"And you didn't keep in touch with them?"

"No. When we were having our debut showcase all the other families were there and my parents weren't.."

"It must have been hard on you.." Lee Young Ja says.

"I’m used to it by now." I smiled. "But I do want to say that if Soo Ah really wants to be an idol, even if it's hard, her family should support her because they might lose her like that if they keep objecting. But I do think Soo Ah should study hard because this profession is not stable, so it's always good to have other options."

"We have one of Soo Ah's friends here, right?" Jung Chan Woo asked.

"Hello, I'm Sunhwa." Soo Ah's friend introduced herself.

"What do you think of Soo Ah's hobby?"

"I think she is exaggerating. She looks like a saesang fan more than an actual fan. She seriously just keeps following them around and it's a little creepy."

"When does the line cross between a saesang fan and an actual fan that just wants to see his idols?" Kim Tae Gyun asked.

"When they are violating my personal space." Seungkwan answered. "I'm human too, I deserve a break and a few minutes to myself without fans following me around. I do appreciate them, but sometimes it can get too much."

"Do you have saesang fans as well?" Lee Young Ja asked me and Sey.

"Honestly, we barely have normal fans, so saesang fans is a bit.." Sey joked, making everyone laugh.

"You just debuted, it's probably because of that. They usually comes with fame." Vernon said.

"Misun, is there something you want to say to Soo Ah?" Shin Dong Yup asked.

"Yes. Please go to school and study. I'm worried about your future. You heard that being an idol is not a stable profession and it's not that glamorous, so please reconsider it. I love you and I'll always support you, I'm just worried."

"Alright. Let's vote! Do you think it's a worry?"

"I think it's a worry because going to school is important whether you want to be an idol or something else." I said.

"I think it's a worry as well." Sey said.

"I think it's a worry." Vernon said.

"I think it's a worry because she skips school and she spends too much money on it." Seungkwan said.

"We have four votes for now. Let's vote." Shin Dong Yup said.

We waited until everyone finished voting. The score on the screen showed 122 votes.

"Most of the crowd thinks it's a worry." Kim Chan Woo said. "Soo Ah, please say something to your mom."

"Mom, I understand your concern. I'll try to be more considerate and spend less money on it. I will also try to go to school, but please support my dream. I love you."

"I love you too." Misun said.

"Can I say something?" I asked.

"Go ahead." Lee Young Ja said.

"Soo Ah, if you really want to be an idol, I invite you to spend a day with me and my group so you could see how it's like being a rookie idol. I hope it will help you see how it looks from the inside and you could make your decision wisely." I offered.

"That's really sweet." the cast said.

"I would love that." Soo Ah said, smiling.

"Thank you." Misun said.

"No problem. It's my pleasure." I smiled.

"Our winner today is 'Why Don't You Shower?'!" Kim Tae Gyun announced. "Congratulations, you are getting a 1000$ certificate."

"Until the day we are all worry-free, we will continue to counsel you."

 

~

 

"You did well." Jinu told me and Sey when the recording ended.

"Thanks, oppa."

"Oppa.." I mumbled.

"What?"

"It won't be a problem with the girl, right?" I asked. I tend to speak before thinking, so I forgot it might cause trouble for others.

"I'll talk to the CEO, it will be fine." Jinu smiled reassuringly. "It was a nice gesture."

"Thanks." I blushed.

"Excuse me." Vernon interrupted our coversation. I noticed that Seungkwan was standing behind him.

"Nice to see you again." I bowed and Sey did the same.

"I wanted to give you our album." Vernon said, traces of pink blush on his face.

"Thank you." me and Sey bowed.

"Wait, we will give you ours as well!" I exclaimed and searched my bag for albums. Luckily I always carry a few with me.

I took out an album from my bag and signed it quickly, passing it to Sey so she could sign it as well.

"Here you go." we gave them the signed album.

"Thanks." Vernon and Seungkwan smiled.

"Good luck promoting!" Sey exclaimed.

"You too." Seungkwan smiled. "Tell Daehyun I said hey."

"I will." I smiled and they left.

"It's good you are making friends." Jinu commented, approaching us again.

"They seem nice." Sey mumbled.

"We should go back. Thank the staff and we'll leave."

 

~

 

When we got back to the company there was something I had to do. I headed to the practice room and stormed in, seeing a bewildered B.A.P.

"Bang Yongguk!" I raised my voice, placing my arms on my waist.

"Why do I feel like we've been in this situation before?" Youngjae mumbled.

"Because we probably were." Zelo answered.

"Psycho Hyeri is back.." Himchan muttered and I glared at him when I heard it.

"Does it mean they are back together?" Jongup pondered.

"No." I declared.

"Can I help you?" Yongguk asked.

"Why did you touch my things?" I asked, glaring at him.

"I didn't."

"So my screen saver and your name in my contact list has suddenly changed and you have nothing to do with it?"

"Yes."

"Don't lie to me."

"It's your fault for leaving your belongings unattended." he said and my anger rose.

"It was only the two of us in the room and we were at the company." I claimed. He is being ridiculous.

"Were you two together yesterday?" Daehyun asked, surprised. It didn't seem like Hyeri will want to be in the same room with Yongguk, especially not when it's just the two of them.

"He forced me." I said.

"You could have walked out when I left. You stayed on your own will." Yongguk retorted.

"You asked me to wait for you!" I claimed, flustered.

"Since when do you listen to me?" he asked and the boys chuckled.

"Forget it. Just don't touch my things anymore."

"Here." he said and gave me his phone.

"What is this?" I asked.

"My phone. We can be even now."

"I'm not interested."

"Hyeri.." Yongguk sighed.

 I scanned the room and my eyes landed on a familiar package placed on the sofa. How didn't I notice it earlier?

"What is this?" I asked and pointed at a small box with a printed note attached to it.

"Nothing." Yongguk answered. I took the box and read the note attached to it - "My heart beats for you.. I want to hold onto you. Words I held in and couldn't say, I want to shout them loudly". I recognized the lyrics from "Lovesick".

"Bastard." I muttered.

"Hyeri?" he asked, confused.

"I didn't think you will go this low." I looked at Yongguk.

"What are you talking about?"

"Do you know how frustrated I was when I stopped getting those? Now I realize why. You just stole them, didn't you?" I raised my voice. "Why can't you let me be happy?"

"You are misunderstanding."

"How am I misunderstanding you having something that was supposed to get to me?" I glared at him.

"BECAUSE I WAS THE ONE LEAVING THEM FOR YOU!" Yongguk finally exploded.

"You're lying." I mumbled, a few tears making its way down my cheeks.

"Hyeri.." he pleaded.

"I really hate you." I stormed off, wiping the tears from my face.

 

~

 

"Hyeri!" Yongguk wanted to go after her, but Himchan stopped him.

"Let her calm down. It won't help if you search for her now, it will only make things worse." Himchan reasoned.

"Hyung, let me talk to her. We have practice tonight, so I can try and get her to talk." Jongup offered.

"Fine." Yongguk sighed, defeated. "Let's finish our practice."

 

~

 

I practiced with Matt and afterwards I had practice with Jongup. When I entered the practice room he was already there, waiting for me.

"Hey." Jongup greeted happily.

"Hey." I tried to smile.

"Are you feeling better?"

"I'm tired." I pouted.

"It's always like this while promoting. You'll get used to it."

"Thanks."

"Shall we do the choreography?" he offered and I nodded.

I stood up, doing my dance. Jongup didn't join me, but I figured he was just trying to see if I'm doing it right.

"Hyeri.." he mumbled when I finished.

"What?"

"It's not the choreography."

"Huh? It's what we worked on.."

"No it's not." Jongup insisted. "We do this." he said and started demonstrating part of the choreography. I was sure that's what I was doing, so why is he claiming it's not?

"You did this." he said and started imitating me, doing a completely different dance which resembles my routine with Matt. What's going on?

"Maybe we should take a break." he offered. "I'm going to get water."

"Alright."

When he left I laid down on the ground, closing my eyes so I could rest. I didn't realize I fell asleep.

 


 

Author's Note:

 

Sorry you had to wait for the chapter, I was sick.

 

I have some bad news as well - I might not be able to update as frequently from now on because of school.

I'll try, but I can't promise anything because I need to focus on school.

 

I hope Himchan will rest and recover fast. It seems weird seeing the boys perform without it and I know he wanted to be on stage with them, but his health should come first.

 

Thanks for reading, commenting, subscribing, etc.

 

M.