Chapter 131

Masks

"Good morning :) Can't wait to see you today.." I read the text from Yongguk when I woke up, grinning from ear to ear. He is really sweet. He keeps sending me cute messages like this since we got back together and he keeps taking care of me, even in the smallest things like bringing me water bottles when I practice just in case I ran out of it. It might be like this because it has been only a couple of days and he is still trying to make it up to me, but even if that's the case I'm grateful that he is taking care of me and making the effort to make me happy. I wish I could do the same for him..

"Good morning! I can't wait either. Are you in the company?" I texted back and stretched my body.

"Yes. When are you coming? I miss you :(" the reply came shortly after. I smiled like an idiot. Why is he so sweet?

"I miss you too. I'll be there soon.. But we have schedules today, so we'll probably leave early."

"Hurry up then!" he texted and I chuckled. So impatient.. We saw each other yesterday.

"Alright. I'm getting ready and I'm coming."

"Do you need help? ;)" he offered and I blushed. What is he thinking about?

"No, thank you. I can manage by myself."

"But it will be faster with my help.." he texted and I could imagine him pout while writing this. He is such a kid sometimes.. A erted kid, but still a kid.

"You can't fool me, you ert. You are only going to undress me :P" I teased.

"What's wrong with that?" he asked innocently and I blushed even harder. Luckily he can't see my face at the moment because that's embarrassing.

"Everything."

"Meanie. How long are you going to deny from me? :(" I stared at my phone's screen, flustered. I know he was just joking, but it still hurt. It's a sensitive topic for me and he knows that.

"You should have slept with Sumi when you had the chance." I replied and finally got out of bed, leaving my phone there, and entered the bathroom to wash my face and brush my teeth.

When I checked my phone after getting ready I found a few new messages from Yongguk. He apologized for his comment earlier and said that he'll wait for me and that he likes me just the way I am. I smiled and decided to surprise him when I'll reach the company. Until then, he can keep trying to appease me.

"Texts from lord Voldemort?" Sey teased when she entered the room and caught me staring at my phone for a while, smiling like an idiot. I guess my expression gave me away..

"Yes." I admitted shyly. "And don't call him that." I frowned.

"Alright." she raised her hands in surrender. "I'm really happy you solved things with your prince charming."

"Thanks." I smiled. "Although I'm still mad at your boyfriend.." I pretended to be mad. I'm not really mad at Himchan anymore because he had a good intention and Yongguk is fine after resting and taking everything out of his system, I just wanted to tease Sey a little.

"He helped you get back together! You should be thankful to him, you brat! Why are you mad at him?" she started getting annoyed and I tried hard not to smile. Himchan is one of her weak points, so it's the easiest way to get her worked up.

"Seriously.. Are you going to break our friendship for a guy?" I teased.

"You are doing the same! You are only mad at Himchan because Yongguk was affected." she crossed her arms over her chest.

"Alright. I was just joking. I am grateful, but next time he does something stupid like this I'm going after his head."

"I'll tell him that." Sey smiled.

"We should go, we are going to be late." I said and grabbed my belongings. Sey did the same, and shortly after we were on our way to the company.

 

~

 

"Good morning." Jongup greeted Yujin when he saw her in the hallway leading to the practice rooms on the second floor.

"Good morning." Yujin said shyly. "How did you sleep?"

"Great. And you?"

"Decent. Hyeri kept sleep talking, but I'm used to it by now." she smiled and Jongup chuckled.

"Does she sleep talk a lot?"

"Almost all the time, but it depends if you cooperate with her or not. If you answer her you can actually have a conversation and she won't remember anything from it in the morning. It's quite amusing."

"So you are making fun of your leader?" Jongup tried to act serious and sound like he is scolding Yujin.

"Of course not! We love Hyeri and we owe her a lot. It's just entertaining sometimes. We are not doing anything harmful and we are not abusing her!" Yujin hurried to explain. Jongup listened carefully, finding it cute that Yujin was so persistent in explaining that they are not taking advantage of Hyeri.

"Okay, I believe you." Jongup said when Yujin finished talking. "I was just teasing."

"Ya! You brat!" Yujin hit Jongup's shoulder. It didn't hurt since she was weak and he was well buit.

"I'm older than you! Who are you calling a brat?" Jongup frowned and Yujin paled. How can she be so careless and rude?

"I'm.. Sorry.." she stuttered. "I.. Didn't.. Mean.. To.."

"Make it up to me." Jongup smirked. This is his chance.

"How?" the younger girl asked curiously, still frightened.

"Let's watch a movie tonight after you finish your schedules."

"Don't you have to practice with Hyeri tonight?"

"Not today. She has other things to do."

"Oh.." Yujin mumbled.

"So.. Is that a 'Yes'?" Jongup asked, reminding Yujin she hasn't answered him yet. Honestly, he was nervous. What if she refuses?

"Y.. Yes.." Yujin stuttered. "I mean, I need to make it up to you, right?" she smiled sheepishly.

"Right." he smiled. "Then I'll see you tonight."

 

~

 

When I reached the company my first destination was the studio to surprise Yongguk. I entered the room slowly, trying not to make a noise that will announce my presence. Yongguk was sitting in front of the computer, earphones in his ears. He was focused on the screen in front of him and I pondered whether I should disturb him or not. Eventually my desire to hug him won and I approached him quietly. I bent forward and wrapped my arms around his torso, resting my head on his shoulder. I could see him smiling, and it made me smile as well. He removed his earphones from his head, placing them on his desk.

"Good morning." I whispered and kissed his cheek.

"It's always a good morning if you're here." he said cheesily and turned his face so he could kiss my lips. I grinned and kissed him back happily. I need my good morning kiss, it's like a good luck charm for the day.

"Have you eaten yet?" I asked after we parted.

"No. How about you?"

"Not yet. But I have breakfast."

"Babe.." he mumbled while I hurried to the door, where I left the bag with the food I made.

"Let's eat!" I said cheerfully and placed the food on the table near the couch, opening the containers' lids to reveal the food.

"Hyeri." he said sternly, standing behind me. I was focused on setting the food so I didn't notice he got up from his seat in the meantime.

"What?"

"Stop."

"Stop what?" I asked, flustered. I only brought breakfast..

"All of this."

"What are you talking about?" my voice came out shaky. He is not going to dump me, right?

"You are overdoing things." he simply said. That is not helping. But at least I know he is not dumping me.. Yet.

"What am I overdoing? I just made breakfast for us."

"Today. Yesterday you made breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks in between." Yongguk exclaimed and I felt myself blush from embarrassment. I didn't know he disliked it so much.. I was just trying to help.

"I just wanted to make you happy.." I mumbled quietly. Was it that bad?

"You are making me happy even without those things." he said and lifted my chin with his right hand so I'll look at him. "I want the real you, not the one that tries hard to satisfy me."

"But.."

"I fell in love with that Hyeri, not with this one. If I wanted someone to make me food all the time I would have hired a chef or a housekeeper." he reasoned.

"Let's just eat." I released myself from his grip and sat down on the leather sofa, grabbing a pastry from one of the boxes.

Yongguk sighed and sat next to me. His left hand sneaked around my waist but I shook it off. He sighed once again and started eating.

"I love your cooking." he said.

"Good for you." I muttered. It came out harsher than I intended, but I didn't care. It's his fault anyway.

"Don't be mad at me." he snuggled closer, trying to act cute.

"What do you want me to do? You told me you don't feel like I care, how am I supposed to show you I do? Whatever I do doesn't seem like it's enough and when I actually do something you don't like it."

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to tell you that in the first place. It was a poor statement on my side. It slipped because I was frustrated when you kept closing yourself and pushing me away. I know it's not an excuse and I shouldn't have told you that even if I was mad, but it's already done and I can only apologize now."

"It hurts." I admitted, fixating my eyes on the food on the table so I won't have to face Yongguk. "And if it crossed your mind it means you believed it."

"I'm sorry. I promise you I don't think that way. I really like you the way you are, I don't want you to change. I know you care because it shows in everything you do. I like your cooking, but I don't need you to go out of your way to satisfy me and cook for me like a servant. I want you to cook if you want to, not because you are being forced to."

"I want to do it."

"For the wrong reasons."

"Forget it. I'm not cooking for you again." I got up, annoyed.

"Hyeri.." Yongguk sighed. Why is it so complicated?

"Enjoy your day." I said bitterly and stormed off. This is not how I wanted the day to start.

 

~

 

Practice didn't go well. I was distracted during the whole practice and I made several mistakes. I was scolded by Gun every time I messed up and it felt terrible even if it was my fault for not paying attention and for not doing the choreography properly. I hate when it happens.

When we finished practice I emptied my water bottle in one gulp and squashed it when I was done.

"Take it easy.. The bottle didn't do anything to you." Sey approached me, pointing at the now shapeless bottle. Maybe I used too much force on it..

"Sorry.." I mumbled and threw the bottle in the trash.

"Is everything okay?" she asked worriedly.

"Yes. I'm just annoyed that I messed up.." I made up an excuse. It was partially true.. I hate making mistakes. It just wasn't the only reason I was annoyed at the moment.

"And?"

"And nothing." I smiled innocently. "Let's go. We need to get ready for the filming."

 

~

 

"Himchan." Yongguk found the younger male in the gym.

"What's up?" Himchan asked, stopping his exercise to examine Yongguk.

"I have a question." Yongguk admitted.

"Hyeri related?" Himchan asked although he already knew the answer. Yongguk nodded shyly.

"What did she do this time?" Himchan asked, sighing.

 

~

 

"We need to dye your hair.. The color is fading." the hairdresser stated while examining my hair thoroughly.

"Do whatever you want.. Just make me pretty." I smiled.

"That's easy since you are already pretty to begin with.." he complimented and I blushed.

"Thanks.." I mumbled shyly.

A while later I got my new look. The hairdresser renewed my red hair color but added a few darker highlights and I also have bangs now. He also cut my hair shorter, so now it reached my shoulders. It looked great.

The other girls had a few changes as well, close to their original hairstyle for this comeback. The styling team is doing a good job.

"Girls, are you ready?" Jinu asked after we were done. We also got our makeup done and the stylist gave us sponsored everyday clothes to wear.

"Yes!" we answered together.

"Let's go."

"Where are we heading exactly?" Eun Hee asked when we were sitting in the van. "You just told us we are filming something.."

"A new Chuseok special of MBC. It's called 'Idol Chef King' and it's a cooking competition. There are a lot of contestants in the preliminary round, including a lot of rookie groups, so it's a good opportunity for you." Jinu answered.

"Hyeri, it's your chance to show off your skills!" Yujin beamed.

"I'm sure there are other idols who cook well, so I might not make it far.." I said.

"You are a good cook, I'm sure you'll do well." Sey said, patting my back.

"Right!" the other girls agreed, minus the frowning Sumi.

Soon, we arrived to the set at the MBC building. Jinu wasn't joking when he said a lot of idols are auditioning.. There must be at least 200 idols here.

"I told you there will be a lot of idols here.." Jinu said as if he read my mind.

"Look, VIXX is here!" Sey said and pointed at their direction.

"I see Suho!" Yujin exclaimed happily and pointed at a different direction.

"Twice is also here!" Sumi said excitedly. "I want an autograph.."

"Hyeri, I see Oh My Girl.. Don't you like them?" Eun Hee asked.

"I do." I said.

"Go talk to them.." she goaded.

"I will, in a bit." I smiled.

"Let's go talk to the staff." Jinu said and we followed him inside.

Before the competition started we filmed the entrance scene and then we filmed the opening scene with all the idols, the MC, and the judge for this round - Hong Suk Chun.

"We are going to randomly divide you to groups of ten people. Each group will cook in its turn. You can go after you finish your turn, but until then, if it's not your turn, please stay nearby since we need to find you for the filming. If you are not here when we call your name you are disqualified." a producer said. "Am I clear?"

"Yes."

"Great. The first group of contestants is Suho and Baekhyun from EXO, Momo and Dahyun from Twice, Choa and Way from Crayon Pop, Tawoong and Sangil from Snuper and Ren and Aron from Nu'est. Please come get your aprons from the staff. The idols that are not participating in this round, please be here in ten minutes for the next roll call."

"Great, we have time." Sumi said.

"Oppa, won't we be late for the music show if it's like this? There are a lot of people here.." I asked Jinu.

"It's fine. It's still early and M! Countdown starts in the late afternoon, so we'll make it on time." Jinu smiled. "You can go socialize, but don't get too far and don't do something reckless."

"Yes, oppa." we said and dispersed to different directions.

I walked around, looking for a familiar face between the mass of people. I saw some of the idols while promoting, but I never spoke to most of them besides greeting them on broadcast.

"Kiddoh!" I saw Ravi walking towards me, a big smile plastered on his face. "Congratulations on debuting."

"Thanks." I smiled shyly.

"Is everything okay? Where are your group members?"

"They are.. Somewhere.." I mumbled and looked around, trying to figure out where they are. Ravi chuckled.

"Where are your group members?" I asked, directing the question to him.

"Somewhere.." he answered and both of us laughed.

"Is everything going okay for you?" Ravi asked.

"Yes." I smiled.

"Great." he smiled. "If you need help you can always ask me."

"Thank you."

"Ravi!" Leo called him, approaching us. I noticed the rest of VIXX trailing behind him.

"Oh, it's you again." Hongbin smiled.

"Nice to see you again." I greeted and bowed.

"Same here." N smiled.

We talked for several minutes until their manager called them. I walked around by myself until the producer called out the names of the participants in the next round. None of us were in this batch, so I had more time to look around.

I noticed a big group of people gathered outside and I approached them, curious to see the reason for it. Apparently DinDin was hosting an impromptu rap battle. I stayed to watch and scanned the crowd. I noticed Sey was watching the battle as well so I approached her. She was focused on the rapper performing so she didn't notice me getting closer.

"You should try as well." I said and she looked at me, startled.

"I'm not good enough." she shrugged.

"I heard you improvising yesterday at the dorm, you were great."

"It's not the same."

"Okay! That was great!" DinDin smiled when the rapper finished his verse and the crowd cheered. "Anyone else wants to try?"

"Here!" I exclaimed and pushed Sey forward. If she won't try she wouldn't know how good she is and she really has nothing to lose. Besides, she is a good rapper.

Sey glared at me but it was too late since DinDin already noticed her and led her to the "stage". I smirked, happy I succeeded.

"I guess we have the first female representative.." DinDin smiled brightly. "Anyone else wants to join?"

"Me." Lime from Hello Venus said and stepped forward.

"Then we have a battle." he smiled and Sey looked at me, mouthing a "I'll get back at you for this". I smiled and did a thumbs up, mouthing "Good luck".

The battle started and Sey did well. When both her and Lime finished rapping DinDin asked the crowd to decide who was better by cheering. Lime won and I could see Sey was disappointed, but it really doesn't say anything about her skill since both of them were good and it was a tough competition. The result was also quite close.

"You did great!" I exclaimed when Sey came back to her spot next to me.

"I still lost." she grumbled. "I told you it was a bad idea."

"You got a decent amount of cheers as well, so it wasn't that bad." I tried to cheer her up.

"Hyeri!" DinDin called after he finished the battle and people started to disperse. Me and Sey stopped walking and waited for him to join us.

"Looks like we're meeting again." he smiled happily. I like his smile and his cheerfulness.. It makes other people around him smile as well.

"Yes." I smiled.

"You were pretty good back there." he complimented Sey.

"Thanks." she said shyly. "You are a great MC and mood maker."

"Thank you, lady." he said and bowed. Me and Sey chuckled.

"So What are you doing here?" DinDin asked half jokingly since it was pretty obvious why we are here.

"I'm pretty sure we are supposed to ask you that question.. Since when are you considered an idol?" I teased.

"Since my company decided to send me to these kind of programs.." he joked. "I'm participating in ISAC as well."

"Oh, B.A.P is also participating, so you could see Yongguk." I exclaimed.

"So do I finally get to see the love birds together?" he smirked.

"There are people watching, so I'm not sure.." I hesitated. The last ting I want is to be discovered because we weren't careful around cameras and fans.

"So innocent.." he shook his head while Sey chuckled.

"Hyeri is really something.." Sey said.

"She is." DinDin agreed.

"Yah, do you think you are in an open space all the time? You can go rest inside.. Where there are no cameras." she said in a scolding tone.

"Whatever." I shrugged. "We should go back, they are about to announce the next group of participants."

 

~

 

"It's kinda boring here without the girls.." Zelo said.

"It is, isn't it?" Daehyun mumbled.

"What are they doing anyway?" Youngjae asked curiously.

"Some cooking show for chuseok." Jongup answered while playing on his phone.

"Oh, it's a good opportunity for Hyeri to show her talent." Zelo said.

"Why aren't we going on the show?" Daehyun asked, slightly frowning.

"You're not that good at cooking, what are you going to do there?" Youngjae teased.

"You are not good at cooking either." Daehyun retorted.

"Narae is there as well, he probably wants to see her. And eat good food." Jongup said. Zelo and Youngjae laughed and Daehyun frowned.

"Now it makes sense." Zelo teased. "But didn't you spend the night with her? How can you miss her already?"

"Love is just like this." Daehyun said with a dreamy expression on his face. "You'll understand when you'll fall in love."

"He has completely lost it.." Youngjae said, making fun of Daehyun as well. "We should hang out just the three of us, without him."

"Yah!" Daehyun exclaimed, annoyed.

"Where is Himchan and Yongguk anyway?" Zelo asked. He didn't see them for a while now.

"They said they have something to do." Jongup answered. "I think it's related to Hyeri.."

"How does he know everything?" Zelo thought to himself. Jongup has many cards up his sleeve, it seems.

 

~

 

"I'm going to read the names of the people in the next group. These people are Peppermint, Stellar and Binnie from Oh My Girl." the producer announced. I guess it's a girls' heat.. At least all my group is in the same heat so we will finish once the round ends.

The set contained ten booths numbered from one to ten. Before you could reach the booths there was a long table with aprons, felt-tipped pens and empty nametags waiting for us.

"Everyone, take an apron and put it on. Also write your names on the nametags and stick it to your apron." the producer ordered.

"Hyeri, help me tie it properly!" Yujin approached me with bourdeaux apron in her hands.

"Turn around." I asked. She obeyed.

"Is it too tight?" I asked after tying it behind her back.

"No."

"Great." I smiled.

After Yujin was set, Eun Hee needed help as well so I helped her and finally wore my own apron. I wrote 'Peppermint' on my nametag and drew some mint leafs next to it. After that I added my name and I was ready.

"That's pretty!" Sey commented on my nametag.

"Thanks.. I tried." I mumbled and looked at hers. It was messy but you could still figure out the name of our group and her name.

"Let's do a group cheer before we start!" Yujin offered and we gathered around her, putting our hands in the center.

"One, two, three, Peppermint!" we cheered. Next to us we could hear Stellar do their cheer and we smiled.

"Good luck." I told Binnie, who was standing by herself.

"Thanks. You too." she smiled.

"Thank you."

"Choose a booth and stand next to it." the producer ordered.

There were five booths on each side, so naturally my group stood next to each other and filled one of the rows. All of us were standing next to the chosen booths when the host appeared with megaphone in his hand.

"We will begin the contest of 'Idol King of Cooking'. You will begin at the same time and you only have ten minutes. Please remember that you can't cheat on others anyways so please focus on your own cooking." the host said and we laughed. "Are you ready?"

"Yes!" we answered together.

"Didn't you eat breakfast? I can barely hear you." the host teased. "Be more enthusiastic. Are you ready?"

"YES!" we yelled louder this time.

"Okay, you have ten minutes. I hope you'll show your cooking skills. We will notify the time you have." he said and the mission started.

We entered our respective booths. The booth was slightly bigger than a phone booth. Inside the booth there was a table with eggs, various seasonings, powders like salt and pepper, and various cooking utensils. I guess our mission is related to eggs somehow.. Which is good because it's not that complicated. I started running all the eggs recipes I know in my mind, hoping the mission will be one of those.

Each booth also had a producer and a cameraman standing at the other side of it so they could film the contestants up close.

"Please introduce yourself before we give you the mission." the producer in my booth asked.

"Hello, I'm Hyeri from Peppermint and I'm going to refresh your day!" I greeted and bowed.

"Please select one of these mission cards." he asked and showed me two cards, the back of the cards facing upwards so I won't be able to see what's written on them.

I chose the right card, hoping it would be something I can do. I read it to myself before showing it to the camera.

"Please read it out loud." the producer asked. "This is how variety works. You need to talk to yourself a lot and to think loudly. You are not by yourself here." he explained further and I started feeling embarrassed. How can I mess up before the competition even started?

"I'm sorry.." I mumbled and bowed. I was pretty sure I blushed as well.

"It's okay. You're a rookie, right? You'll learn these things with time and experience." he smiled warmly. "Now read your mission."

"Jidan." I read it out loud, showing the card to the camera. I was relieved because I actually know how to make it and it's not that complicated. It looks difficult but it's easier than it looks.

"I know this!" I smiled happily. "It's garnished egg."

"Hyeri!" I could hear Sey calling from the booth next to me.

"What?" I asked.

"What is Suran?" she asked and I chuckled. Of course the girls wouldn't know this.. All the girls, except for Sumi, can cook basic things, but most people probably won't know what Suran and Jidan is even if they know the dishes, and the girls are not an exception.

"Poached egg." I answered.

"Thanks!" she exclaimed.

"You know you are not supposed to help them, right?" the producer asked and I started blushing, adjusting the look of a tomato.

"Sorry.." I apologized and hurriedly bowed. "I'm not going to get disqualified because of it, right?" the panic started to surface. I can't be disqualified because of something stupid like this.. It's not fair.

"No." he shook his head and I was relieved.

"Thank you."

 

~

 

Yujin stood in her booth, reading her mission card.

"Jidan? The soccer player?" she looked at the producer and the cameraman, who only shook their heads. They heard it way too many times today and it has only been several rounds. They have more rounds to go until they'll finish the day.

"It's a kind of food." the producer said, trying to help the cluelss girl. She really looked lost.

"The soccer player?" A feminine voice was heard from one of the booths and Yujin chuckled. At least she is not the only one failing at it.. The more people doing the same mistake the less stupid she looks.

"Hyeri!" Yujin did the only thing she could think of since she had no idea what Jidan is. Hyeri should know the answer to that.

"What?" Hyeri asked from her booth.

"What is Jidan?" Yujin asked.

"Garnished egg." the reply came immediately.

"Thank you!" Yujin thankd her. Now she has another problem.. How on earth do you make it?

 

~

 

"I'm going to separate the yolk from the white now." I explained before doing it.

"Hyeri!" now it was Sumi's voice. It's weird she is asking me to help her, but I guess she is desperate and has nothing to lose..

"What?" I asked.

"How do I turn on the stove?" she asked and I tried hard not to laugh. I tried to imagine her struggling with it, which only made me laugh harder.

"Sumi, are you sure you want to do that?" I asked. "I do wish to keep on living.." I thought to myself.

"Yes!" she answered. She sounded annoyed so I decided not to annoy her further and answer her question.

"Do you have fire extinguisher prepared by any chance?" I asked the producer.

"Why?" he asked curiously.

"Sumi really shouldn't be in the kitchen.. She tried to cook in our dorm once and she almost burned the house down. Since then she is not allowed to cook." I explained and I could see him and the cameraman chuckling.

"I'm sure she is not that bad.." the producer said.

"She is. You should have seen it."

"Wait, do I smell something burning?" the cameraman asked.

 

~

 

"Yah, why is it jumping?" Sumi stood in her booth, helpless. She turned the stove on but the oil in the frying pan kept jumping. She just added water to the oil in the pan, it wasn't supposed to be like that.

"What should I do?" she asked. "Should I cover it?" her eyes searched for the cover.

"I don't think it's smart.." the producer mumbled.

"Then what do I do?" she asked.

"Wait."

"It's scary!" Sumi jumped backwards when the oil jumped further, almost hurting her.

 

~

 

"Hyeri!" someone called for the millionth time since the round started and the host sighed.

"The noisy group in the right row! Call Hyeri one more time and all of you are disqualified! Stop being noisy and do your mission by yourselves!" he scolded.

"Yes, sir!" the girls choired and he shook his head. Maybe now it will be quiet and the girl named Hyeri could focus on her mission.

 

~

 

"Sumi!" Sey called.

"What?" Sumi asked.

"How is it going?"

"Terrible." she sdmitted. The oil in the frying pan has slightly calmed, but she didn't make a progress at all. Cooking is definitely not for her.

"How about you promote our song instead of cooking? You are bad at it anyway." Eun Hee offered from her booth.

"You should totally do that!" Sey said.

"Alright." Sumi said and started talking about our album and our song.

 

~

 

"This girl is good." Hong Suk Chun commented as he watched Hyeri cooking from his spot. "She really knows what she is doing and it looks good."

"Do you think it will taste good?" one of the staff members asked.

"I hope so." Hong Suk Chun smiled. "I also noticed that there are other girls that keeps bugging her with questions."

"Those are her group members."

"Ah, no wonder they are asking her questions all the time.. They must know she is good at it."

 

~

 

"You have three minutes!" there was an announcement.

"I think it's ready." I said after looking at the frying pan.

"It's looks great." the producer complimented.

"Thanks."

"How did you learn to make it?"

"I used to work in a restaurant. I was only a waitress, but I always loved cooking and when I had free time I used to go to the kitchen and see what the chefs are doing so this is how I learned a lot of things. I also lived by myself since I became an adult, so I could practice and improve my skills. I enjoy cooking a lot, so I like this show."

"Do you want to participate in more cooking shows in the future?" he asked.

"I would love to if I have the chance. I think that if I wasn't an idol I would have become a chef since I love cooking and eating so much."

"That's great."

 

~

 

"This girl, on the other hand," Hong Suk Chun pointed at Sumi, "It looks like she completely gave up since she is promoting their new song instead of cooking, and I can see why. Did you see the mess on her table? She could barely crack the egg properly. Not to mention the frying pan mess earlier.. Who adds water to boiling oil?"

"That is Sumi. She is Hyeri's group." the staff said.

"At least she can sing.."

 

~

 

"You have one minute!" the announcement came.

"Let's arrange everything nicely on the plate." I said and started plating my dish.

"Time is up! Please leave the dish on your table and leave the booth."

"Right on time." I smiled, admiring my work of art. "It looks pretty."

When I left the booth I saw the other girls.

"How did it go?" I asked.

"Bad." Sumi frowned.

"Okay, I think.." Sey said.

"Not good." Yujin answered.

"I think it's best that you'll represent us." Eun Hee said, patting my back.

"How did it go for you?" Sey asked me.

"Fine." I answered.

"That's great." she smiled.

"Let's take a picture together!" Eun Hee offered and we took several pictures. The staff also wanted to take pictures of us for promotional purposes, so we posed for them as well.

 

~

 

"Look who is here.." Taeho approached me when I was heading to the restroom.

"Don't you have better things to do?" I asked.

"No." he smirked.

"I do, so if you'll excuse me.." I ignored him and kept walking. At least this problem is solved..

 

~

 

"Why are we practicing if we are not having a comeback?" Youngjae asked when the boys took a break.

"To improve our skills. And you know the CEO, he might flip and decide we are having a comeback tomorrow.. It's not like he can cancel our comeback for good since he needs the money." Daehyun answered.

"I'm tired." Youngjae complained.

"Just practice. We need to do our best." Himchan said.

"Yongguk hyung.." Zelo called.

"What?" Yongguk asked.

"Are we still doing what we planned?"

"Of course." Yongguk smiled.

"Since we are finishing earlier than usual today, let's work hard." Himchan said and the boys went back to practice.

 

~

 

When I joined the girls and Jinu, the next round was about to start. This time it was Untouchable, NCT, Jin from BTS and Kei and Yein from Lovelyz.

"Are you ready?" the host asked.

"Yes!" the participants answered.

"Sleepy!" the host called.

"Yes!" Sleepy answered.

"You're not an idol, are you?" the host asked and everyone laughed.

"I'm an hiphop idol! Hipdol!" Sleepy answered, drawing more laughter from everyone.

"I see.." the host mumbled. "Now we will begin the idol king of cooking! Please enter the booth!"

"Let's get going." Jinu told us when the participants entered their booths and we walked to our van, ready for our next schedule.

"I got an autograph from Twice!" Sumi exclaimed happily when she entered the van.

"I saw Suho up close!" Yujin said with a dreamy expression.

"Did you get your autograph?" Eun Hee asked me.

"I did! The girls from Oh My Girl were really nice." I smiled brightly.

"I'm happy for you."

 

~

 

"I'm sorry for earlier. I am grateful for everything you do for me, I just don't want you to feel obligated to do those things. I will never force you to do anything." Yongguk stared at the text he sent to Hyeri earlier. She still hasn't answered him and it started to worry him. Can she still be mad at him?

She might be busy, but usually she answers his messages quickly and even if she had schedules she could have found a moment to text him back..

"It's fine. I hope you are having a nice day." Hyeri finally answered and Yongguk was relieved.

"Are you mad?" he asked. Her text was too cold compared to her usual messages.

"I'm just tired. Everything is fine." she replied but he still couldn't relax. He decided to call her so he could hear her voice. It should tell him if she is mad or really just tired.

"What?" Hyeri answered after two rings. She didn't sound too happy that he called..

"You are mad." Yongguk stated. Hyeri sighed.

"I'm not." she insisted.

"Let's talk about it. We need to solve this issue."

"There is nothing to solve because there is no problem. You don't like me cooking for you so I won't do that anymore. End of story." she said, clearly annoyed.

"Do you even know why I was mad? You are just hearing what you want to hear." Yongguk started to lose his calm.

"That's how I am. You can't change me."

"Then why are you trying to change yourself?" he asked and there was silence on the other side of the line. Looks like he hit a nerve..

"I am not trying to change you, you are the one trying to change yourself for me. I don't want that." he kept talking, taking advantage of Hyeri's silence.

"You obviously don't like the current me, so what else can I do?" Hyeri tried to stop her tears from falling. Yongguk's heart sank. The biggest problem in their relationship is Hyeri's insecurity. No matter how much he tries to tell her she is perfect to him and that he likes her just the way she is, it seems like he is talking to a wall. He can't get through to her no matter how much he tries. Honestly, it starts to exhaust him. He does love her with all his heart, but he is not sure it's enough anymore.

"Your silence speaks louder than words." Hyeri said bitterly and Yongguk came back to reality. He was so deep in thought that he forgot Hyeri was waiting for his response.

"That's not it!" he exclaimed. "What do you want me to do to convince you?"

"Nothing." he heard a sniffle. . She was crying.

"Babe, where are you?" Yongguk asked worriedly.

"I have schedules."

"Are you alone at the moment?"

"Yes."

"Let's do a video call. I want to see you."

"I don't want to." another sniffle.

"I don't care. You better answer it." Yongguk threatened. He is not the type to be that harsh and commanding, but he was helpless at the moment.

Hyeri answered the call. He was right.. She was crying. She tried to hide her tears, but it was useless since it was obvious she cried and new tears kept coming all the time.

"Babe.." Yongguk said softly.

"What do you want me to do?" she asked in a small voice.

"Do you have a few more minutes to talk?" he asked and she slowly nodded.

"Wait a second." he said and grabbed a guitar that was placed nearby. She looked confused, but he was determined. He wasn't sure it will work, but he had to try.

Yongguk placed his phone in a position that will catch him playing and allow him to see her as well, and he started playing a familiar song on the guitar.

"What would I do without your smart mouth? Drawing me in, and you kicking me out.." Yongguk sang the first lines from 'All Of Me' (John Legend).

"What's going on in that beautiful mind.. I'm on your magical mystery ride.." he kept singing as Hyeri didn't react. As the song progressed she started crying harder, not bothering to hide her tears anymore.

"How many times do I have to tell you.. Even when you're crying you're beautiful too.." he emphasized these lines and he noticed a small smile on her face. When he reached the chorus he sang it louder to show he meant every word of it.

When the song ended Yongguk put the guitar aside, waiting for Hyeri's reaction. To his surprise, the only thing she did was cry harder.

"Babe, what's wrong?" he asked, startled.

"You're perfect.." she mumbled between sniffles.

"Aigoo, then why are you crying?"

"I just.." she stopped to wipe her tears with her hands. "I don't deserve this."

"Hyeri." he said sternly.

"I must be the luckiest person on earth." Hyeri smiled. "Do you know how many fans will want to be here instead of me to hear you singing to them?"

Yongguk noticed she changed the subject, but he let it slide this time. "You are special." he smiled. He really meant what he said.

"Thank you." she said and it seemed like the tears stopped, to Yongguk's relief.

"Did you like it?"

"I have a weak spot for your singing." Hyeri admitted shyly and Yongguk chuckled.

"I'll remember that for future use."

"Honestly, I have a weak spot for everything related to you, so you don't have to try hard with me."

"It's the same for me." he admitted and he saw her blush, which made him happy.

"Babe.."

"What?"

"Please have confidence in yourself. You are pretty, talented, kind hearted. And you got me wrapped around your finger."

"I'll try. Thank you."

"So you're not mad at me anymore?"

"No. I'm sorry for earlier. I overreacted. I was just frustrated because I wanted to make you happy.."

"It's okay. I am happy, it doesn't matter if you cook for me or not. Our relationship is not measured by this kind of things.."

"I know." she said quietly.

"I'm happy we talked about it."

"I'm happy too."

"Hyeri."

"What?" she looked curiously at him.

"Your new haircut is pretty." Yongguk complimented and Hyeri could feel butterflies in her stomach.

"I'm glad you like it." she said shyly.

"I miss you."

"I want to hug you." Hyeri bit her lower lip, her fingers fidgeting in her lap.

"We will see each other tonight when you'll finish your schedules."

"It's too far.. How will I survive until then?" she pouted childishly.

"I'll make it up to you when we'll meet." he offered.

"I miss you."

"I miss you too, babe. I need to go, but we will see each other soon. Good luck today, I'm sure you'll do great!"

"Bye oppa. Good luck!"

When they finished the call Yongguk smiled to himself. They are going to meet sooner than she thought.

 


 

Author's Note:

 

I'm sorry for not updating like I promised, but I had a writer's block :\

I tried to make this chapter longer to make it up to you and it is quite long, but I had to split the day to two chapters because there are a few more things happening in this day and I didn't want this chapter to be endless and to make you wait more for it, so I hope you'll enjoy it :)

 

I just wanted to make something clear since it's mentioned here and it might be important for the future as well:

I do try to make things as realistic as possible, but there might be small changes to fit the story\plot, so things here might be a little different than reality. It can be regarding shows and it can be regarding people as well. I know it should be obvious but I just wanted to mention in anyway.

Why am I mentioning it all of a sudden? There is an example for that in this chapter. In reality Untouchable are part of TS Entertainment, but in this story the only artists in TS are B.A.P, Peppermint and the male trainees. As for the connection between them to Yongguk and Hyeri - Sleepy is a friend of Yongguk from the days he was an underground rapper. They are not coworkers and Hyeri doesn't really know Untouchable since they didn't meet. Like in DinDin's case, she knows Sleepy is a friend of Yongguk but nothing more than that. I'm sorry if it's confusing, but that's what I decided to do (And yes, Sleepy might pop up again in the future :P).

 

Thanks for reading, commenting, subscribing, etc.

 

M.