Chapter 120

Masks

"Oppa, what do you want to do tonight?" I asked while staring into Yongguk's eyes.

"Whatever you want." he smiled his signature gummy smile that I love so much.

"Do you want to watch a movie then? I heard the new war movie is good.."

"Alright."

"Oppa.."

"What?"

"You are being weird." I pouted.

"I'm not."

"Then prove it."

"How?"

"Like this." I said and pointed at my lips. He smiled and brought his face closer, his lips only an inch from mine.

"I love you." he whispered before attaching our lips together. It felt incredibly soft, and my heart jumped inside my chest.

"I love you too." I said when our lips parted for a second. Yongguk smiled and kissed me again, more passionately.

"Stay with me forever.."

"Gladly." I wrapped my arms around his neck, pulling him closer to me. Yongguk stopped kissing my lips and started planting kisses on my jaw, going down to my neck. I moaned when he a specific spot on my neck that he knew that affected me.

"That's the most beautiful sound I know." he said while kissing me in different places, going down to my collarbones and cleavage.

"Oppa.." I moaned again when he nipped my skin.

"Do you still think I'm weird?"

"No." I smiled. "I think you're perfect."

"So are you." he smiled while kissing me again on my lips. Our kiss heated and his hands started traveling along my body, under the dress I was wearing.

"Make love to me?" Yongguk asked while staring into my eyes. His hands stopped moving and rested on my waist, above the soft fabric, waiting for my response.

"I would love to."

 

I opened my eyes, taking a deep breath. I wiped the tears forming in the corner of my eye with the back of my hand. A small sigh left my mouth. It has been like this for days now.. Every night when I close my eyes I either dream of Yongguk and me being back together or I dream about him kissing Sumi in front of me. In both cases I wake up crying and sad and my longing for him only grows bigger.

Stupid Yongguk. Why am I still caring so much? He should be happy now without me.

On the bed below me I could hear Sey tossing and turning.

"Is everything alright?" I asked, peeking down to look at her.

"I can't sleep.." she pouted.

"Let's get something warm to drink." I offered and climbed out of bed. She followed me quietly to the kitchen.

"Milk or hot chocolate?" I asked while taking out two mugs from the cupboard.

"Isn't it obvious?" she smiled. "Hot chocolate."

"On its way." I smiled and started making the drinks.

"Why are you up?" she asked while watching me from the kitchen table.

"A bad dream."

"Yongguk?"

"Do you think I don't care?" I stopped making the drinks and turned to look at her.

"What are you talking about?" she asked, confused.

"Nothing." I sighed and resumed making the drinks.

"Did he tell you something?" Sey asked curiously.

"On the day we broke up.." I said and placed her drink in front of her, sitting down next to her with my own drink in my hands.

"What did he say?" she took a sip from her drink.

"That he is the only one caring in our relationship." I carefully tasted the hot drink in my mug, letting its warmth envelop me. Even if I try to ignore it, this one sentence keeps bugging me. Was I such a bad girlfriend? Is that why he left?

Sey took a deep breath, holding her mug in her hands. She was silent only for a moment, but it felt like forever.

"I know you care, and I'm sure he knows that as well.." she started talking, hesitating.

"But?"

"But you don't show it much." she said and my face fell.

"Look.." Sey said when she noticed it, trying to explain herself better. "Everyone has their own way to express themselves and not everyone has to be lovey dovey and all over their partner.. Yongguk doesn't like these kind of things either.."

"But?"

"But sometimes it's nice if you compliment your partner more and show him you like him and that you care." she said softly.

"And?" I asked when I felt there was something more she wanted to say.

"What did you fight about?" she asked and I swallowed my saliva.

"He was mad that I avoided him."

"Why did you avoid him?"

"I was mad.. And embarrassed." I admitted, fixating my gaze on a small spot on the table, trying to avoid her gaze.

"Hyeri.." she sighed. "You know you don't have to be strong all the time, right?"

"He liked me because I'm strong, if I'm weak he has no reason to stay." I tried to stop the tears from falling.

"Where did you get this nonsense from?"

"Why else would he be with me?"

"Because he likes you for who you are, it does't matter if you're strong or weak."

"Liked." I corrected her. "He has Sumi now." I said bitterly.

"Want to know something? Guys like you to lean on them when you are having a hard time. It makes them feel manly and important. One of the ways to show you care is sharing your problems with others, so I'm sure he would have loved it if you came to him, especially when you're fragile."

"What if you lean on them too much?" I asked quietly.

"In your case it won't happen." she smiled reassuringly.

"I don't want to be pitied.."

"Then stop pitying yourself first."

"What do you mean?" I asked, confused.

"How about you start by appreciating yourself more?" she offered. "How would you feel if the only thing you heard from Yongguk was 'I . I'm ugly, I'm not talented, I don't deserve to be happy, I don't know why you are dating me..'?" she asked and I stayed quiet. Do I really do that all the time?

"I would have tried to cheer him up but I would have probably grown tired of it after a while.." I admitted.

"That's what most people would have done." she said. "But Yongguk is different." she smiled.

"What do you mean?"

"He put you as his first priority so he is always there to tell you how perfect you are and how much he likes you, but even Yongguk might grow tired of it at some point. He is human."

"Am I that bad?" I unconsciously held my mug tighter. It must have been hard on him.. No wonder he left.

"Well.. You are improving." Sey smiled, trying to cheer me up.

"He must be happy with her.. She is not needy like I am." I mumbled quietly.

"She is worse than you. Don't you know how spoiled she is?"

"She still won. I guess he likes it.."

"Hyeri.." she sighed.

"He was right leaving me." I stared at my mug. The hot chocolate inside has gotten cold by now, but I don't care.

"You are doing this again, jumping to conclusions on your own and deciding things on your own."

"You just said I'm a bad girlfriend!" I claimed, raising my voice a bit from annoyance. "And you are right."

"That's not what I said." Sey said. "It's your first relationship, it's normal to make mistakes. That's the way you learn. And you have Yongguk who will gladly teach you what he like and what he doesn't like, but you have to give him a chance to show you that."

"It's too late for that now.." I sighed.

"Go talk to him."

"No."

"Why not?"

"Because it's already over."

"Maybe he doesn't think that way.."

"If he wanted to be with me he wouldn't have gone to her." I exclaimed, letting a few tears slide down my cheek.

"Go talk to him."

"It's useless." I shrugged.

"You know what? Forget it." she sighed heavily. "You are impossible and I'm too tired to deal with it at the moment." she said and stood up, placing her mug in the sink.

"Where are you going?" I asked, bewildered. We were in the middle of a conversation..

"Come find me when you are ready to listen." she said and got out of the kitchen, heading to our bedroom.

I stared at the empty spot she left near the table, confused. Why is she leaving me as well? Am I that bad?

"Forget it, Hyeri. Let's just go to sleep." I told myself before getting up and washing the dishes. When I was done I entered my bed, falling asleep quickly.

 

~

 

"Hyung.." Youngjae sat next to Daehyun in the kitchen.

"What do you need?" Daehyun asked, munching his food without taking his eyes off of it.

"I thought about our conversation a few days ago.."

"And?" Daehyun finally teared his eyes from his food and turned to look at Youngjae.

"I will try doing it."

"Smart decision." Daehyun smiled brightly.

 

~

 

"Jinu oppa!" the secretary called cutely when she saw him in the company's hallway.

"What is it, Sohyun?" Jinu asked warmly.

"The CEO wants to talk to you."

"Is it about the girls not doing well again?" he sighed.

"No. He said something about a dance show.."

"Did he mention Jongup by chance?" Jinu asked, trying not to show he is worried.

"I think so.." Sohyun said, scratching her head. "I'm not sure, though."

"Thank you." he bowed his head in gratitude and walked to the CEO's office.

 

Jinu knocked on the door, waiting for the CEO's response. His mind was running the possible scenarios and ways to get Hyeri out of this thing.

"Come in." the CEO said.

"Did you want to see me?" Jinu asked after opening the door to the CEO's office.

"Yes. Come in." the CEO smiled and Jinu sat down in one of the empty chairs in the room.

"What is it about?"

"I heard Jongup talked to you about his show's special.." the CEO said and Jinu paled. He guessed the CEO would know about the program by now, but he didn't think the CEO will be this informed.

"Yes.. He did." Jinu swallowed his saliva.

"Why did you reject him?"

"I.. Di.. Didn't.." Jinu stuttered. "I just told him that I'll try to work out Hyeri's schedule so she can help him, but it might take a couple of days.."

"This is one of our top priorities, so make time for Hyeri to do it. She can skip the practice with the girls or some of her singing practice in order to practice with Jongup." The CEO said.

"Yes, sir."

"Now leave." the CEO turned to look at the papers in front of him.

"Sir.. Can I ask something?"

"What is it?"

"How did you know about it?" Jinu asked carefully. He didn't think Jongup told the CEO about this, especially after he asked him not to, so there must be something else.

"I have my methods." the CEO smirked. "Now leave."

 

~

 

"How are you doing?" Sey asked me when we took a break from practice.

"Fine. Why wouldn't I be?" I smiled.

"Because of our conversation.." Sey said apologetically.

"Well, I acknowledged the fact I'm a terrible girlfriend thanks to our talk, so I guess I can only go up from here.." I had a fake smiled plastered on my face and I walked away.

"Hyeri.." she called after me, but I didn't hear it.

"." she cursed and stomped her feet because there was nothing she could kick close by.

 

~

 

"Yongguk.." Himchan entered the studio Yongguk was working at.

"What is it?" Yongguk asked, taking his earphones off.

"Here." Himchan placed a cup of coffee and a sandwich in front of Yongguk.

"You left without eating breakfast.." Himchan said when he saw Yongguk's questioning look.

"I'm not hungry." Yongguk muttered and pushed the sandwich aside.

"You have to eat." Himchan pushed the sandwich back towards Yongguk.

"Later." Yongguk shrugged.

"You barely ate in the last couple of days. It's not healthy."

"I'm busy." Yongguk turned back to the computer, his back facing Himchan.

"Is it because of the album or because of Hyeri?" Himchan insisted.

"Both."

"Go talk to her. I'm sure she has calmed down by now, so you can talk to her and explain everything.."

"Leave. I need to work." Yongguk said dryly and put his earphones back on. Himchan sighed and left, leaving Yongguk with his work.

 

~

 

"Yujin-ah!" Jongup sat next to Yujin in the cafeteria.

"Hey oppa." she smiled shyly.

"Are you on a break?"

"Yes."

"Yujin.." Jongup said quietly.

"What?" she looked at him curiously.

"Do you want to practice on your dance later? I mean, if you have time.." he asked shyly and she smiled, her cheeks turning pink.

"I have time!" she exclaimed, almost too excitedly. "We can do that after I finish my schedules, if it won't be too late and if you'll still want to practice.."

"Great."

 

~

 

"I wonder what Yongguk oppa is doing right now.. I should go see him." I heard Sumi's high pitched voice when I passed her in the hallway. I rolled my eyes and moved on, pretending I didn't hear her. I know she did it on purpose in order to annoy me, like she constantly did since we broke up, but I can't help not to be affected by it. Yongguk was the first person I let myself getting attached to and open myself up to, so it hurts losing him and it hurts even more when it's my fault. But I guess you reap what you sow, right? I should have treated him better when he was mine.

"Oppa!" I heard her squeal behind me. "I was just about to call you! Did you miss me?"

I snorted because the fake sweetness. I don't know how Yongguk can handle it because I want to throw up when she does that. But maybe he likes it?

"Sumi.." I heard Yongguk's deep voice. A shiver went through my body. It feels like ages since I heard his voice, but unfortunately it's not directed to me this time. I quickened my steps, trying to avoid him. I just want to disappear.. I don't want to break down in front of him. If I break down he'll think I care and he might come back to me because of pity.. And I don't want that. It's better to just avoid him and let him be happy with her if that's what he want. I want him to be happy.

I kept walking until I heard steps behind me, getting closer. I could smell Yongguk's aftershave so I kept walking, ignoring his presence. We can't meet.

"Hyeri.." Yongguk pleaded and I felt my heart stop. I was grateful he couldn't see my face at the moment because I could feel the tears forming in the corner of my eye. I pretended I didn't hear anything and kept walking like nothing happened.

"Oppa! Why are you ignoring me?" Sumi exclaimed. Her voice was getting louder and it also seemed closer, so I figured she closed the distance and approached us. I turned the corner and entered the females restroom. At least here I won't meet him..

 

Inside the restroom I let myself cry and fall apart. Usually Yongguk is the only person that I let myself break down next to like this, but I can't really do that now.. I need to do this on my own.

I closed my eyes and I could almost smell his aftershave again. For a moment it also felt like his arms are enveloping me into a hug, but it faded like his scent when I opened my eyes.

"I miss you so badly.." I mumbled, wiping the tears. "I need you."

"You are an idiot." another voice in my head said. "So pathetic.."

"I'm not." I wiped the new tears with my hands, determined to remove every trace of my weakness. Only weak people cry.

"I can do this." I convinced myself and took several deep breaths in order to calm down.

When I was sure I'm fine I walked out of the restroom, only to see Yongguk waiting for me there. I guess he managed to avoid Sumi..

"I missed you.." Yongguk said when he noticed me, looking fragile. I ignored the stinging feeling in my stomach. It's not my problem anymore.

"You got the wrong person. Sumi probably hasn't gotten far, you can still catch her if you hurry." I said dryly and turned to leave.

"I was referring to you." he said and grabbed my arm so I won't leave. My heart started beating faster. Stupid heart. That's not the time to grow soft or to get excited. He has a girlfriend that is not me.

"You probably have a fever, you're talking nonsense." I released my arm from his grip.

"I'm telling the truth." he stared into my eyes, trying to prove to me he is sincere. I teared my gaze away, afraid my eyes will betray me and tell him I miss him.

"I need to go." I said dryly and started walking away.

"Why did you cry?" he asked and I stopped in my place, turning to him. Was it that obvious? I thought I made sure there were no signs of my cry when I left the restroom..

"None of your business."

"Was it because of me?" Yongguk insisted. I sighed. Why can't he leave me alone? He already moved on and I need to do the same.

"You are not that important." I scoffed.

"Hyeri, please." he begged.

"Is everything okay?" I heard Jinu's voice and I sighed in relief. I'm not sure how much longer I would have been able to keep the strong act in front of Yongguk.

"Everything is perfect." Yongguk smiled.

"Hyeri?" Jinu looked at me.

"Sure." I smiled as well. I don't want to cause a commotion.

"Good." Jinu smiled. "Hyeri, I need to talk to you."

 

~

 

Youngjae waited outside the practice room, pacing around nervously. He had a plan memorized in his head, but it didn't help to relieve his nervousness. What if he'll mess up?

"Eun Hee, you can't do that!" Yujin exclaimed while laughing hystetically.

"Of course I can! I'm your unnie!" Eun Hee exclaimed while laughing as well.

Youngjae watched the two girls walking down the hallway, heading towards him. He took a deep breath, trying to calm his heart down because it seemed to beat faster than usual. What is happening to him?

"You can do this.." he told himself.

"Oh, Youngjae oppa!" Yujin was the first to notice him.

"Hey, Youngjae." Eun Hee greeted as well.

"Hey girls." Youngjae smiled.

"What are you doing here?" Yujin asked curiously.

"I.. Was looking for Hyeri." he lied, saying the first thing he could think of. He really wanted to go along with his plan, but he froze and got cold feet.

"Why is everyone looking for her? Zelo was here earlier as well.." Eun Hee wondered.

"He did?" Youngjae asked, surprised.

"Yes. Is she in trouble or somehting?" Eun Hee asked.

"No." Youngjae said, trying to stay calm.

"Unnie, we should go.." Yujin nudged Eun Hee's arm and Youngjae was relieved.

"Bye, Youngjae." Eun Hee smiled and bowed.

"Bye, oppa!" Yujin greeted, bowing as well, and the two girls entered the practice room.

"You idiot.." Youngjae cursed and messed his hair in frustration. "You had one small thing to do, why can't you do that?"

"Is everything alright?" a familiar voice asked. Youngjae looked up and saw Daehyun standing next to him, smirking.

"Perfect." Youngjae said sarcastically.

"So why were you looking for Hyeri?" Daehyun teased, utterly amused. Youngjae frowned, obviously annoyed.

"You heard everything, didn't you?" Youngjae frowned.

"Of course I did. How else am I going to make fun of you?" Daehyun smirked, to Youngjae's annoyance.

 

~

 

"Channie.." Sey back hugged Himchan, leaning her head against his back.

"What is it?" he asked worriedly. He wanted to turn around and face her, but she stopped him.

"Stay like this for a bit.." she asked.

"What's wrong?" he asked, placing his hands on hers.

"I messed up."

"What did you do?"

"I might have said something to Hyeri and she didn't take it well.."

"I think we have one more thing in common.." Himchan joked.

"I'm being serious!" she hit his back lightly.

"Honey.." Himchan turned around, facing her, and held her hands in his. "Tell me what happened?

 

~

 

"I didn't do anything! Why are you scolding me now?" I exclaimed while me and Jinu walked to his office.

"Who told you I'm going to scold you?" Jinu asked and I blushed, embarrassed. If it's not that, then waht is it about?

"Why else would you want me to go to your office?" I retorted.

"We need to talk about your schedules." he said and I felt like an idiot. That makes sense..

"Oh."

"Let's go." he said and quickened his steps.

We reached his office and to my surprise Jongup was sitting there, waiting for us.

"Sorry for keeping you waiting." Jinu apoligized and took his seat.

"It's fine." Jongup smiled.

"Hyeri, sit down." Jinu ordered and I obeyed.

"What did you want to talk about?" I asked.

"Well, you know the dance show Jongup participated in, right?" Jinu asked.

"Obviously." I smiled.

"What do you think about it?" he asked and both Jinu and Jongup looked curiously at me.

"I think it's a great show. I want to participate in it one day, if I can.." I said shyly and fixated my gaze on my lap, playing with my hands nervously. Jinu and Jongup exchanged knowing looks between them.

"How about participating then?" Jinu asked and I looked at him surprised.

"Really?!" I exclaimed, trying my best not to sound too excited.

"It's only a guest appearence in a chuseok special for now, but if you'll do well you can get into the next season. The producers are using this special as talent hunting as well.."

"I want to! I don't care what I have to do, I want to do it!" I said immediately. If I do this right and get invited to participate in the show I'll do what I love and I can make us more popular. It's a win-win situation, I don't care if I have to sacrifice my sleep for it.

"Will you be fine with your other schedules?" Jongup finally spoke. He looked worried, which doesn't suit his angelic face.

"I'll manage." I smiled, trying to reassure him. I'm not going to give up on this opportunity.

"Then it's set." Jinu smiled. "Start practice today. I'll rearrange your schedules accordingly."

"Thanks oppa!" I said happily.

"You should thank Jongup, he was the one that wanted you to particiapte.."

"Thanks, Jongup!" I hugged him happily. He seemed lost but hugged me back eventually. "I won't disappoint you, I promise!"

"Alright." Jongup mumbled and Jinu laughed.

"Great. Now go. Hyeri, you have the v-app soon, right?" Jinu asked.

"Yes." I said.

"Go get ready. You can't do it in these clothes." he said and I looked at my outfit. I was dressed in practice clothes, but it didn't seem that bad to me..

"Yes, oppa."

 


 

Author's Note:

 

I hope you'll like this chapter :)

 

Thanks for reading, commenting, subscribing etc.! <3

 

M.