Chapter 33

Masks

Day 14:

I woke up with an extremely good mood, although it was early. Today we have "Running Man" filming. I'm so excited. I always watched the show at home and it looked fun, but I never thought I would actually go there and participate in it. It's like a dream comes true.

"Morning.." Yongguk mumbled when I entered the car.

"Morning." I said smiling. He is not going to ruin my good mood today.

"You seem to be in a good mood.."

"I'm just happy." I took out my phone and connected the earphones, turning my music on. I closed my eyes, drowing myself in the music.

Yongguk smiled seeing Hyeri this happy. He didn't know what was the reason for it, but he was happy she is happy.

 

The car ride was quite short. We arrived at the SBS building. After we did our hair and makeup we started filming. The first thing we filmed was the enterance part. We had no idea what is today's theme or who else is going to guest on the show, so we just waited for our turn.

"Get in the car, we'll take you to the filming spot.." The producer said and gestured over a car that was waiting outside the building.

"Remember, be yourself and don't do something stupid, we can't help you edit things out of the show. I'll be watching you from the side. Good luck!" Jinu said, and I smiled.

Me and Yongguk went towards the car, while Jinu was waiting with the other managers and staff.

"Are you nervous?" I asked Yongguk while moving my legs nervously. I was fine earlier, but right now it seems real.

"A little.. It's my first time here." Yongguk admitted. "You?"

"A lot."

"Relax.. Just be yourself and everything will be fine." He put his hand on my thigh, reassuring me. I smiled.

"Get out." The driver said and opened the door for us. We could hear the cast members talk and trying to guess who is in the car.

When Yongguk stepped out there were applauses coming from them. Yongguk stood there, offering me his hand. I took it and went out of the car as well.

We walked toward the people gathered, examining them and the other guests. Beside the regular members I saw Soyou (SISTAR), Zico (Block B) and Yonghwa (CNBLUE) there. I smiled while approaching them.

"He is such a gentleman.." Ji Suk Jin said when we approached, and the other agreed, while I blushed a little.

"Please introduce yourself to our viewers.." Yoo Jae Suk asked.

"Hello, I'm Bang Yongguk from B.A.P, nice to meet you. I will work hard." Yongguk introduced himself and bowed. Everyone clapped.

"Yongguk released a solo song two weeks ago." Yoo Jae Suk said. "Please tell the viewers a little about it."

"Yes. I have a solo song called 'Prey'. It's a jazzy duet that I have with the lovely lady standing next to me." He gestured to me. "Please show us a lot of love and support. Thank you!" He bowed.

"I heard the song and I enjoyed it a lot." Gary said.

"Thank you." Yongguk said shyly and bowed again.

Now everyone turned to look at me, waiting for my introduction.

"Hello, I'm Kim Hyeri and I'm a trainee from B.A.P's company, I'm doing a song with Yongguk. Nice to meet you." I said shyly and bowed.

"You are still a trainee?" Kim Jong Jook asked.

"Yes, I'm supposed to debut in the summer in a girl group."

"How many members?"

"Five."

"And what is your position?" Haha asked.

"Singer and dancer."

"I want to see." Kwang Soo said.

"Now?" I hesitated.

"Of course." Yoo Jae Suk smiled.

I started singing my song with Yongguk, to help him promote it since it's the reason we are here in the first place, and he joined me when his part came. We ended up singing the whole song in a perfect acapella version. When we finished everyone clapped and we bowed.

"You sing well." Yonghwa said, and I blushed.

"You seem more like a unit rather than a solist and a featuring.." Soyou stated.

"Thank you." I said shyly.

"Your manager started laughing like crazy when Soyou mentioned the unit.." Yoo Jae Suk stated, and pointed over to Jinu, who was indeed laughing like crazy. One of the cameras turned to film him as well.

"Oppa, behave!" I exclaimed, which caused the other members and the people watching to laugh.

"Why are you scolding your manager?" Yoo Jae Suk asked, and I became flustered.

"I'm sorry." I bowed once again, looking at the ground.

"Ok, so all of you probably want to know why your'e here and what we are going to do today." The producer said and handed Yoo Jae Suk a card with the program's loggo:

 

Today's mission is 'Heaven or Hell'.

This is a couple race.

The couples are:

Yoo Jae Suk and Ji Suk Jin - The elderly couple

Gary and Song Ji Hyo - The monday couple

Lee Kwang Soo and Kim Jong Kook - The zoo couple

Haha and Yonghwa - The mismatch couple

Zico and Soyou - The first date couple

Hyeri and Yongguk - The lovebirds couple

Your first location is ... 

 

After everyone finished uselessly complaining about their pairing and a some more small-talk, everyone went to change clothes before starting the race. Me and Yongguk's color was red.

We gathered again in front of the building, waiting for instructions about our next mission. We got another card from the staff:

 

This race can be Heaven or Hell.

Thorugh the race you will have a few options for things that will either help you through the race or make it more complicated for you.

Everything will be determinued by throwing a dice at a few locations.

 

So it's basically up to luck..

We got our first location adress and drove over there. Since me and Yongguk don't have a driver license we took the car with Kwang Soo and Kim Jong Kook.

I sat nervously in the back of the car, moving my legs a lot.

"Relax.." Yongguk whispered in my ear, trying to calm me down. His voice did just the opposite, and I was a little more nervous then before.

"So, Hyeri, do you like training?" Kim Jong Kook asked while he drove.

"Yes. It's tough, but fun." I smiled.

"Why did you want to be an idol?"

"Because I like to perform and I want to make people happy."

"That's a good reason." He smiled.

"Do you have a name for your group yet?" Kwang Soo asked.

"No, we haven't thought about it yet."

"How about 'Flower Garden'? If the other girls are pretty as you that can suit well.."

"Thank you." I blushed. "I'm not that pretty. The other girls are prettier than me."

"You see? then flower garden suit well." He smiled.

"What kind of terrible name is it?" Kim Jong Kook exclaimed. "Don't listen to him."

"It's not terrible!" Kwang Soo protested. Kim Jong Kook then glared at him, and he trailed off.

"How is it working with Yongguk?" Kim Jong Kook asked while looking at us through the mirror.

"Great. I learn a lot from him." I smiled.

"How is it working with her?" He asked Yongguk, who finally spoke.

"Great. It easy to work with her since she follows instructions well and she is a fast learner." I blushed from his answer.

"They are so cute together." Kwang Soo mentioned, which caused me to blush even more. I hid my face behind Yongguk's shoulder. Yongguk just laughed at my reaction, but he still let me hide behind him.

"Wer'e here." Kim Jong Kook parked the car and we got out, waiting for the other couples to arrive.

 

When we got out of the car it was impossible to miss our mission. We stood in front of a huge maze. It was human-sized maze, and it was just enormous. All of the couples looked at it amazed.

"Here is your mission." The producer handed Yoo Jae Suk another card:

 

Your first mission is 'exit the maze'.

Through the maze you'll have different missions to perform.

Before we start, you have to throw two dices.

The first dice will determine how capable you will be to do the race.

The second dice will determine how bad your road will be..

Hurry up, the first couple to get out of the maze will get an advantage in the next nission.

Good Luck!

 

The staff brought over two giant dices. One of them was filled with numbers from one to six and on the other dice were written some things I couldn't see clearly.

Each couple threw the dices in his turn. When it was my turn I was a bit scared. What if I messed up?

"It's okay." Yongguk squeezed my hand.

I glanced over at the options written on the dice - Free, Piggyback your patrner thorugh all the course, one member is blindfolded, hands tied, legs tied, hand and leg tied. What does that even mean?!

I threw the dice and closed my eyes, afraid of seeing the result. Eventually I opened my eyes. The dice landed on 'hand and leg tied'. We looked confused at the producer.

"It means Hyeri's right hand will be attached to Yongguk's left hand and the same with the legs. Your'e one now until further notice." He said and signaled a staff memeber to approach us so he can connect us. He tied the ropes not too tight and not too loose.

"I'm sorry.." I said quietly, not daring to look at Yongguk.

"It's okay." He reassured me.

Yongguk threw the other dice, the one with the numbers. The dice landed on number four. The numbers were indicating different enterances to the maze.

 

When all the couples finished throwing the dices we went to to our place. The whistle was blown and the race officially started.

When we got to our spot I understood why this dice was tricky.. Our floor was acupuncture mattress. Other parts of the maze had regular floor, stones instead of floor, normal mattresses and cushions as a floor.

I sighed. How unlucky can we be?

"What's with your face?" Yongguk asked.

"Look. It looks like it hurt." I pointed at the matress in front of us.

"We don't have to win, but let's try our best, okay?" He offered.

"Okay." I smiled. "Fighting!"

"Are you comfortable?" He asked and pointed over at our hands and legs." I nodded. "Then let's go."

We took off our shoes and tested the frightening mattress. I jumped in pain when my feet touched it the first time. It looks funny watching it on tv, but it actually hurts. A lot. I took a deep breath and tried again, not wanting to disappoint Yongguk. I can do this.

Yongguk put my palm in his and brushed his thumb over my hand. It had a calming effect and It did distract me from the pain in my feet. He seemed to be handeling the spiky mattress just fine, how does he do that?

We started walking slowly on the mattress along the maze, trying to find the way out. We took a turn to the right, and a staff member was waiting there. I noticed there was five cards hanging on a hook up high.

"Choose one card and do the mission written on it." The staff member said.

Yongguk tried to stand on his toes to get the card, but it was too high. We decided to jump together so Yongguk will be able to grab it.

"Jump when I count to three." Yongguk said. "One.. Two.. Three."

He successfully grabbed one of the cards, but the landing was hard. My feet touched the ground and I automatically jumped onto Yongguk, trying to avoid contact with the floor. Since we were tied together I couldn't properly clung onto him, so I was half in the air with his support and half clinging onto him with my body. The staff member laughed, and I noticed Yongguk was trying hard not to laugh as well. I suddenly became self concious and I got down quickly, embarrassed.

"I'm sorry.." I mumbled, trying not to look at him.

"It's okay." Yongguk smiled his gummy smile.

"Read your mission." The staff member said.

"Do 30 push-ups while your partner is sitting on your back." Yongguk read the mission out loud.

"How are we suppose to do it if wer'e tied?" I asked.

"Be creative."

Yongguk lied down, and I tried to find a good position for both of us. Because of our ties I had to mirror his position, so I almost laid on his back. I blushed furiously while doing it.

Our CEO was right in one thing, we are definietely bonding today, I just didn't think it will be this kind of bonding..

Yongguk finished his mission relatively fast, and we stood up. The staff member signaled us to continue.

We met a dead end a couple of times, but luckily, in some parts of the maze the ground was more friendly than the devilish mattress. I got used to it a little, but it was still tough.

We got to another staff member. This time he personally gave us our mission card - "Get a perfect score in karaoke while rope jumping".

I automatically looked at the floor.. That horrifying acupuncture mattress again..

"Are we supposed to jump together?" I asked.

"Yes, but only one of you sing."

"I will sing." I stated.

Each held one end of the rope in his free hand and we prepared to jump.

"I'm in my dream.." I finished singing the song and we waited for our result. The screen showed our score - 100. I high-fived Yongguk, beaming happily.

We are definietly getting better at working together.

When we got to the third staff member we met Haha and Yonghwa. It was the first time we met another couple since we were the only one in our starting point and the other couples probably had different routes. Yonghwa was carrying Haha on his back since they got the Piggyback thing in the dice and they look tired. We laughed at each other's position since it's quite funny seeing it from the side, and I was relieved we didn't get this because Yongguk would have suffered a lot if we did.

Our mission was to answer the same way five times in a row. Being with another couple actually motivated us more to succeed fast, and we have an advantage since we know each other.

First question - "Red or Blue?". The four of us chose 'Red'. Well, it was quite easy this time since our color is red and it's also Yongguk's matoki color.

Second question - "Sea or Air?". I chose 'Air' and Yongguk 'sea', hence we need to start again. The other couple, on the other hand, chose the same things, so they were leading now.

Third question - "Hot or Cold?". We got it right - 'Cold'. Four more questions to go.. The other couple failed. This is a close match.

"Black or white?" Black. Correct. We high-fived each other.

"Up or Down?" Up. Correct again.

"Left or Right?" Right. That was a wrong answer since Yongguk chose 'Left'. Here we go again..

It took us a while to finish this mission, but we finally made it. Haha and Yonghwa had a little more trouble with it, so they were still there when we left. At least we are not last for now..

We continued walking through the maze, searching for the exit. We met another staff member. He smiled when we approached him. He gave us three cards to choose from. I chose the middle one - "Beat a staff member in a limbo competition". Okay, it's not that complicated, and the floor is filled with cushions, so it can't be that bad, right?

We started competing, and the cushions were quite bad.. They sink down when you walk on them and it can make you lose your balance while walking, which will make you fail. We tried our best, and after four attempts we finally won over the staff member.

 

We made our way out of the maze. Since we barely saw other couples inside the maze we didn't know how well we did, but to our surprise we arrived second, after the zoo couple. We high-fived each other and then Yongguk pulled me for a hug. I hugged him, smiling, drowning in his embrace. How can he smell so good after sweating so much?

"Good job, princess." He ruffled my hair with his free hand.

"Good job you too." I smiled.

At that point Jinu cleared his throat. I realized I was still hugging Yongguk so I pulled away, embarrassed.

"Good job, you make a good team." Jinu appraoched us smiling.

"Thanks, oppa."

"Go rest until everyone else finish, you still have a long way to go today." He said and walked back to sit with the other managers on the side.

I went to sit with Yongguk near one of the tables that were placed there. I offered him a massage since he suffered a lot in this mission and his back probably hurt from the push-ups mission. I thought he is going to refuse, but he agreed and I was happy I can do something for him.

I started massaging him as much as I could with our hands and legs tied, and he seemed to enjoy it. He groaned a few times when I got to certain spots, and he directed me where to massage him. I did it diligently and with all my heart.

"Look at how adorable they are.." I heard Gary's voice next to us. "I wish my partner would give me a massage as well..

"Don't push your luck." Ji Hyo warned him.

I blushed hearing their converstion, but I still worked on Yongguk's back. Yongguk was smiling brightly hearing that. He is lucky to have Hyeri, although she is not really his right now.

"Unnie, do you want a massage?" I went to ask Ji Hyo after I finished with Yongguk. Since we were tied, he stood shyly behind me.

"No, thanks, sweetheart." She smiled. "Go rest, you are probably tired."

"Ok, then please have this." I offered her bottles of juice, one for her and one for Gary.

"Thanks a lot." She smiled. "You are really cute."

"Thank you." I said shyly and looked down on the ground.

"I hope you'll do well when you debut, I'm cheering for you."

"Thank you."

"Now go rest."

 


 

 

Author's Note:

 

It's probably the longest chapter I wrote until now :)

 

The next chapter is also "Running Man" since it's too long. It will probably be up tomorrow or in monday.

 

I hope you'll have fun reading it since I had fun writing it.

 

M.