Chapter 117

Masks

Yongguk sat in his studio, going over some lyrics. Even if they finished choosing the songs that will be on their new album, as the producer his job never ends. There is always new songs to write and produce and there can always be last minute changes.

He sighed and put the paper down, rubbing his temples. If Hyeri was here she would have probably offered him a massage, along with a healthy snack and something warm to drink. He sighed again. God, he misses her. It hasn't been a day since they broke up, but he can already feel her absence. Why did he have to be that stupid?

Yongguk was so engrossed in thoughts about Hyeri that he didn't hear the door open. A female came in and stood behind him, putting her hands on his shoulders. When he didn't react she started massaging them.

"Sumi, get lost." Yongguk said dryly.

"How did you know it's me?" she asked, pouting.

"Your perfume."

"I tried Hyeri's one. Isn't it good?" she beamed.

"It smells better on Hyeri." Yongguk stated and Sumi's face fell.

"Oppa!" she whined and turned Yongguk's chair so he'll face her.

"What do you want?" he asked impatiently.

"Your attention." she pouted and positioned herself in his lap. He sighed. Doesn't she know the concept of personal space? No one said she can sit there.

"Get off."

"We started dating today and you didn't give me any attention." Sumi complained and caressed his cheek.

"What didn't you understand in 'I'm not going to date you'? I think I was clear enough."

"I know you like me, don't play hard to get. We are already past that stage."

"I don't. Believe it or not, some people actually don't like you."

"Well, I can make you love me.." Sumi said suggestively and ran her finger over his chest. "How about I help you relieve stress?"

"Not interested." Yongguk said and moved Sumi from his lap, forcing her to stand up.

"How about now?" she asked and pulled down the straps of her dress, letting the fabric fall to the ground and reveal her y lingerie.

"What's wrong with your bra?" Yongguk started to laugh. "How many padding did you put in there to make it look presentable?"

Sumi's face turned red. "I've seen Hyeri's body, she is nothing like me." she said confidently, trying not to show she is hurt.

"Oh, you are nothing alike." Yongguk said and Sumi smiled, happy that Yongguk agrees with her. "Hyeri's body is perfect, unlike yours." he finished his sentence and her face fell.

"When did you see her body? Everone knows you didn't have .."

"None of your business." Yongguk smirked.

"What's wrong with my body?" Sumi pouted. "I'm y. More than Hyeri will ever be."

"y my . You look like an undeveloped kid. I feel like a e looking at you. I can't believe there are guys who actually likes that.." he said and turned around to look at the papers scattered on his desk. He needs to focus on his work.

"You are not turning your back on me." Sumi declared and approached Yongguk, turning his chair around one more time.

"Just get dressed, stop embarrassing yourself."

"No. I have a target and I'm going to achieve it." she said and sat in his lap again, attaching their lips together.

"I'm.. Sorry.. For.. Interrupting." Hyeri's voice was heard. Yongguk pushed Sumi away harshly and looked at Hyeri, who stood at the entrance. He probably didn't hear her enter because he was busy handling Sumi.

"You are never interrupting me." Yongguk said softly, trying to smile, but Hyeri's expression told him that it's not going to help.

"You are always interrupting. Can't you tell we are in the middle of something?" Sumi said harshly, clinging onto Yongguk.

"I'm sorry." Hyeri said in a barely audible voice, burying her gaze on the ground. "Have you seen my jacket? I think I left it here a few days ago.."

"No. Go away." Sumi said.

"Just keep doing what you did, I'll pretend I never saw anything and go." Hyeri mumbled and turned to leave.

"Hyeri, wait!" Yongguk called after her, pushing Sumi off of him.

Hyeri stopped, waiting for him to continue. He approached the door, standing next to her.

"It's not what it looks like." Yongguk said, his eyes begging for some kind of reaction from her.

"I didn't say anything." Hyeri said coldly. "Just make sure you lock the door, you don't want other people coming in like that and interrupt you.."

"Hyeri.." he mumbled but it was too late. She was already out of the door.

"Just pathetic. How long is she going to keep bugging you? It was obvious she just looked for an excuse to come here, hoping you will take her back." Sumi said. She was now fully dressed, straightening her clothes.

"I will take her back any moment. You are way more pathetic." Yongguk shot and sat back in his chair, ignoring Sumi's presence.

"You will be mine one day, even if you try to fight it. You belong to me." she said and walked out of the room.

Yongguk sighed heavily. How did it all turn this bad? It wasn't supposed to be like this. He was supposed to be happy with Hyeri and that's it. No Sumi interrupting him, no Zico chasing Hyeri around in order to hurt him.. Just him and Hyeri. Was that too much to ask for?

He scanned the room and his eyes landed on the jacket Hyeri mentioned. It was laid on the couch, behind one of the pillows. He smiled and got up and sat on the couch. He took the jacket and held it close to him, inhaling the fabric. He smiled. It smelled like Hyeri.

He sat there for a while, just holding her jacket close to him and taking in her sweet scent. He'll give it back to her someday.. Maybe.

 

~

 

"I'm not going to cry.. I'm not going to cry.." I repeated in my mind, trying to hold the tears from falling. I'm not crying because of him. He is not worth it.

He is such an idiot. But what did I expect? I knew he wanted for a while now, and it's not like Sumi will refuse.. She wants to sleep with him just as much as he wants to have . Besides, they are dating. It's normal. I'm the abnormal one for rejecting him all the time..

"Hyeri.." someone called cheerfully from behind me. I turned around and saw Hyuk.

"Hyukkie.." I tried to answer in the same way, hiding the fact I'm moody. Maybe it's good he is here, I can forget about what I saw just moments ago and focus on happier things.

"Are you going back to the dorm?" he asked curiously.

"Yes. What are you doing here so late?"

"Practice. And you? I thought you finished your schedules for today after the busking.."

"I had to practice with Matt."

"I see. Let's go." he smiled and took my hand, leading me to the ground floor and to the exit.

"How is practice going?" I asked while we walked to our building.

"Good. But I still don't think we'll debut anytime soon.."

"Well, they just debuted us, I don't think they have money for another debut so soon.." I reasoned.

"True." Hyuk agreed.

"But I'm sure you'll debut soon.. Just do your best at training." I tried to cheer him up.

"Are you hinting that I'm slacking off at the moment?" he teased, pretending to be hurt.

"No!" I exclaimed. "But some of the trainees still need to improve.."

"I agree."

"Why did you want to be a rapper?" I suddenly asked.

"I just love it. I used to listen to a lot of hip hop and I started practicing on my own until I got better at it.. I started writing my own raps and I wanted to be on stage, performing my music."

"So why be an idol? Isn't it better to be an underground rapper if you make your own music?"

"It's risky and no one promises you you'll earn money."

"It's risky being an idol as well." I counterattacked.

"I know, but it's still safer."

"But you don't get to do your own music.."

"Now I don't but in the future I will."

"Can you rap for me?" I asked.

"Always, princess." Hyuk smiled and started to rap. It was about a pretty girl that often looks sad and the guy doesn't know what to do in order to cheer her up.

"You are great." I commented when he finished his rap.

"Thank you." he smiled and bowed.

"Why is it so cold of a sudden?!" I sighed and rubbed my arms, trying to warm them. It's summer and it's hot during the day, but the nights can be chilly.

"Here." Hyuk said and gave me a jacket. I put it on and he zipped it until the top, covering my face.

"Yah!" I protested and tried to open the zipper.

"Cute." Hyuk chuckled.

"I need to breathe!"

"Fine." he smiled and opened the zipper, revealing my face.

"Idiot." I shook my head, smiling.

"Aigoo.. You are finally smiling."

"I always smile." I said and did an exaggerated smile on purpose to prove my point.

"Cute." Hyuk pinched my cheeks playfully. "But I can tell when you really mean it and when you don't. You are easy to read."

"Let's go." I said and continued walking faster, getting away from him.

"Wait up!" he called after me and closed the distance between us, walking beside me.

"I'm so tired.." I yawned.

"Want me to make you feel better?" he asked and I nodded. He grabbed the sleeves on his jacket, which was longer than my hands because of our height differences, and tied the edges together so I won't be able to move my hands.

"YAH!" I exclaimed. "How is this supposed to make me feel better?!"

"It's not, but I'm amused!" he said and started to laugh. "It's really easy to fool you.."

"Let me go!" I protested and stomped my feet. I tried to release myself, but the tie didn't allow me to so I just moved my hands to the sides frantically, trying to open the tie by shaking the fabric.

"You are really cute like this." Hyuk grinned sheepishly.

"Are you trying to hit on me right now?"

"Can I?" he smirked.

"Find someone your own age. And not someone complicated like me."

"You are not complicated." he stated and poked my forehead. "You just need a lot of attention."

"Yah!" I exclaimed and kicked his lightly because my hands were tied. Hyuk laughed and started running away while I chased after him in order to keep kicking him.

"Forget it. I'll find someone that is not violent like you!" he said while stopping to steady his breath after running a bit.

"You know I'm a lost cause.." I said while trying to steady my breath as well.

"He is an idiot." Hyuk said while approaching me and opened the tie in my sleeves.

"No. It was my fault."

As much as I hate to admit it, I was the one that asked him to break up. I was mad and didn't really mean it at that time, but it doesn't matter. What's done is done.

"Don't get sad again.. Or I'll tie it again." Hyuk said, trying to cheer me up.

"Alright, alright." I smiled in order to show him that I'm fine and that my mood is better.

"Good girl." he ruffled my hair again.

"We should go inside.." I said, pointing at our building. Without noticing, we already reached our destination.

"After you, princess." he said and stepped aside, making room for me to pass.

"Thanks."

 

No so far from there, someone was watching the two intently, his fists clenched.

"At least he is making you smile.. What I couldn't do."

 

~

 

"How are you handling today?" Himchan asked Sey when they were sitting in the playroom in the company. She was sitting in his lap, leaning on his chest, while he was playing with her hair.

"I want to go visit Hana. Will you come with me?" she looked up at him.

"Tonight?"

"Yes. Tomorrow it will be more complicated because we have schedules."

"I can't go tonight."

"Why?" Sey asked curiously.

"Yongguk has nightmares every death anniversary. They can be pretty nasty, and I want to be there for him.."

"Looks like his body keeps reminding him what happened even if he tries to move on.."

"Yeah.." Himchan sighed.

"Is he still blaming himself for what happened?"

"Yes. He won't admit it, but I can tell."

"You are a good friend." she smiled.

"He is my best friend."

"I know and I love the way you take care of him and the boys." she smiled reassuringly. "I can go by myself, so stay with him tonight. He will probably need you.."

"You are not going there alone." Himchan declared.

"Why? It's not a big deal.. I want to go today."

"It's late and it can be dangerous."

"I can take care of myself." Sey argued.

"I know that.." Himchan sighed. "Honey.. I'm just worried about you. I'll go with you tomorrow, okay? I'm sure Hana will understand."

"But.." Sey bit her lower lip.

"But nothing." Himchan said and kissed Sey's forehead. "You know I'm doing it for your own good, right?"

"I do." she nodded shyly.

"Good." he said and kissed her lips.

"Don't you have to go to Yongguk?" she asked as their kiss heated.

"He can wait five more minutes.." he answered while kissing her harder.

"Make it ten."

 

~

 

Jongup was walking down the hallway when he heard music from one of the practice rooms. He recognized the music playing, it was the title song of the girls. He stood quietly outside the room, trying to figure out who is inside.

"Ouch!" a feminine voice exclaimed. He hurried inside, thinking the person there might need help. In front of him, Yujin sat on the ground, rubbing her ankle.

"What's wrong?" he asked while crouching down next to her, trying to help.

"I slipped." she said, still rubbing her ankle.

"Does it hurt?" Jongup asked and examined her ankle, trying to see if there is any visible bruise.

"A little."

"Should I get you an ice pack or something?"

"No, it's fine." she smiled shyly. "I'll just rest a bit."

"Why are you here by yourself? It's late." Jongup asked and sat down comfortably next to her.

"I'm still having problems with the choreography and I don't want to bother Hyeri with it, so I practiced by myself."

"Hyeri is working hard.."

"Yes.. She is going to be really busy soon, so I don't want to bother her.. She should rest."

"Do you need any help with your dance then?" Jongup offered, smiling sheepishly. "I'm not Hyeri, but maybe I can try and help you.."

"I don't want to take your time.. You are probably busy preparing for your comeback." Yujin said and brought her knees to her chest.

"The busy period is when we are actually promoting. Until then I still have some free time." he poked her forehead. "So what do you say?"

"I will be happy to practice with you." Yujin said shyly.

"Can you stand up?" he asked. She nodded and Jongup stood up, offering Yujin his hand so she can stand up as well.

"What are you having problems with?" Jongup asked.

"The turn. And I'm also late when all of us are doing the same dance moves.. It's quite obvious if we are dancing together.." she admitted, embarrassed.

"How about we watch your performance so I can see the dance moves better? I can also see what you are doing wrong that way.."

"Alright."

 

~

 

The phone rang and a familiar name appeared on the screen. Yongguk grinned. He was tired from a long day of practice and hearing her voice always made him feel better.

"Hello?" Yongguk asked happily, but the only sound that was heard on the other side was crying and sobbing.

"Hana?" Yongguk tried again, worried. "Is everything okay?"

"YOU LIAR!" Hana screamed.

"Hana, what's wrong?" Yongguk tried not to let his anxiety show.

"You stopped caring." she accused with another round of crying and sobbing. "You told me things won't change if you'll become a trainee, so why did you stop calling and visiting me? You just left me all by myself!"

"You know I wanted to come, it's just complicated with practice and all.. I always care about you. I love you."

"LIAR!"

"Hana.. I really love you." Yongguk tried again, hoping it will reassure her. It usually did.. But somehow something felt different this time, he just couldn't tell what.

"I'm going to end everything." Hana declared. "Goodbye!"

"What do you mean?" Yongguk asked.

"You have ten minutes to get to our rooftop or else you won't see me anymore. Goodbye." she said and the call ended. He tried to call Hana again, but there was no answer.

"." he cursed and grabbed his stuff. The rooftop wasn't far from the company, if he ran fast enough he could make it. He started running, not caring if he's tired or if his body hurt. He had to get there.

 

He reached the rooftop in nine and a half minutes. He didn't know where he got the energy to do that, but his body told him he had to make it on time. Everything hurt because it was beyond his ability and his body was already worn out from practice, but it didn't matter. The most important thing was Hana.

"You made it." Hana was standing near the edge, smiling brightly. "Too bad it doesn't matter anymore.. You can't change things that are already done."

"What do you mean?" Yongguk asked.

"It's too late for us."

"I made it on time. I want to be with you and fix whatever you think is broken, just give me a chance."

"A chance?" Hana started laughing hysterically, and it scared Yongguk. He had never seen her this way. Something was way off. "You had too many chances and you missed all of them."

"Give me one more chance. I promise I will make everything better, just let me try." he begged.

"If you want to make everything better then stop being a trainee. Just quit and come back to me."

Yongguk moved uncomfortably in his place. "You know I can't do that. It's my dream."

"Your dreams are always more important than me. I'm tired of being your last priority."

"You are not my last priority."

"So why did you never answer my calls? You stood me up on multiple occasions without even telling me where you are or why you are not coming."

"I was busy and the company confiscated my phone. I couldn't inform you even if I wanted to."

"So you just decided to let me wait for you like an idiot?" her voice raised, annoyed.

"It's not that!" he tried to explain.

"You don't know how lonely I was. Do you know what I've been through?"

Yongguk stayed quiet. He decided to let Hana get everything out before responding.

"I caught my dad cheating on my mom. They are going to get a divorce." Hana continued, her eyes filled with tears and her voice cracking.

"I'm sorry.."

"Sorry? that's all you have to say?!" she exclaimed. "Where were you when I actually needed you? Do you know how lonely I felt? I needed you to be there with me, but you left me all by myself. You are just an ."

"Hana.." he called softly.

"Goodbye, Yongguk." she said and jumped from the rooftop. Yongguk wanted to catch her, but she was faster and when he reached the edge she was already gone.

"NO!" Yongguk screamed and dropped to the ground, burying his head in his hands. It can't be.. She can't leave him.

 

~

 

"Yongguk, wake up.." Himchan nudged Yongguk lightly. The older male was screaming and kicking his legs furiously. He was also sweating a lot and Himchan could notice a few tears on Yongguk's cheeks. He sighed. It looks like this time the nightmare was worse..

"Don't leave me.." Yongguk cried. "I'm so sorry.. I love you. Just stay with me.. Please."

"Yongguk!" Himchan raised his voice. He didn't have a choice.. If he want to get Yongguk out of it, he has to wake him up somehow.

Yongguk opened his eyes, looking confused. His eyes wandered around the room and when he noticed Himchan he sighed.

"Hana.." Yongguk whispered.

"I know." Himchan said reassuringly and helped Yongguk sit on his bed. "Here." he offered him the water he prepared beforehand. It was always the same ritual.

"Thank you." Yongguk said and gulped the water quickly.

"Was it the rooftop again?" Himchan asked and Yongguk nodded. Just like always..

"It's not your fault."

"I don't want to talk about it." Yongguk said dryly.

"You need to let go and move on."

"I tried to move on, and I got dumped today, remember?

"You can work things out with Hyeri."

"It's probably my punishment for moving on.. I think Hana is mad."

"Stop talking nonsense, will you? That's my job." Himchan joked.

"Idiot." Yongguk shook his head.

"I might be an idiot, but I'm still your best friend, so you should listen to me."

"As long as you don't nag."

"Not going to happen." Himchan smiled. Yongguk sighed, which meant he was starting to get back to normal.

There was a comfortable silence, one that allowed both of them to collect their thoughts and figure out their next move.

"What?" Yongguk asked when he felt Himchan staring at him without saying anything.

"I think that Hyeri is a better assistance than what I can ever be in this case."

"Don't go there."

"Why? I'm sure you wouldn't have those nightmares if she was here. And if you did, you would have opened up to her way more than you do with me."

"That's not true."

"I know you better than anyone." Himchan said. "And you need Hyeri."

"Hyeri is the one that doesn't need me anymore." Yongguk said bitterly.

"She needs you more than anyone."

"Well, she'll probably dump me anyway if she'll know about the nightmares.."

"I thought you told her you have nightmares.."

"I did, but she doesn't know how bad it is. I would have considered twice if I was her."

"She is strong and she loves you."

"If you know me, you should know I don't want Hyeri to know about it nor getting involved in this thing. I don't need help."

"Yongguk.." Himchan sighed. He hates to see his best friend like this, and he hates the fact that Yongguk is doubting himself.

"I'm also scared." Yongguk admitted.

"Of what?"

"If Hyeri ever takes me back.." Yongguk bit his lower lip.

"She will." Himchan said confidently.

"In the dream.. Hana told me that I wasn't there when she needed me the most. What if I do the same with Hyeri?"

"You won't."

"How do you know?"

"Because you love her and because you know how it feels like losing someone you care about, so you won't let it happen again."

"How can you be so sure?" Yongguk still wasn't convinced.

"I'm your best friend."

 


 

Author's Note:

 

The day is finally over! :)

I know it took me forever, but I hope it was worth it. 

 

I have a long weekend, so I'll try to update once more in the next couple of days.

 

Thank you for reading, commenting, etc.! It means a lot to me <3

 

M.