Chapter 55

Masks

We gathered in the conference room for the meeting. It looked like the whole copmany was there since the room was full with people.

I sat near the girls, and B.A.P sat on the other side of the room. I glanced over at Yongguk. He was smiling brightly while talking to the boys about something. When he noticed I'm looking at him he mouthed "You look pretty". I blushed a little and moved my gaze away from him.

A few moments later the CEO came iside the room and the meeting has officially started.

"Good morning." The CEO greeted, smiling. "You all probably know what the meeting is about, right?" we nodded.

"Girls." he turned to look at us. "First of all, Jinu is now officially your manager. He will be with you almost 24\7 from now on, so you talk to him about everything. Don't bother the other managers."

"I'm happy.." I said to Sey quietly. She nodded in agreement. This is good. We are already used to him, so it's much better than getting a new manager we don't know.

"As for the trainees, Clara will take care of them now.."

"Great!" I heard one of the trainees mumble, while his friend said something about her look. I guess everyone got what they wanted..

"I told you before that we have already decided about your concept and debut date. I think I should let the PR team introduce it since they will do a better job than me.." he smiled. "Yoona, come here." he ordered a black haired girl wearing glasses. I think I saw her once or twice before, but I never talked to her. She walked hesitantly to the computer and the projector. The CEO made his way to his seat.

"Hmm.." Yoona cleared before speaking. "First of all, I want to say that we thought about it a lot. We really tried to bring out your charms and pick something that will describe you in the best way possible."

"Go ahead." The CEO said.

"Okay, before I reveal your group name, I want to show you what we thought about before deciding. This is the list of names we eliminated." she did something on the computer and a list of names was shown on the big screen in front of us. Each name had a different logo to match.

 

Possible Names:

Lucky Five

Pentagon

Ahjumma Power

Pentagram

The Fifth Element

Five Stars

One of a Kind

The Sixth Sense

 

Laughter was heard in the room while the list continued. I looked at the screen. Each name sound more ridiculous than the one before him. If these names are eliminated, what did they actually choose?

"Isn't Cube debuting a boy group named Pentagon or something?" Jongup wondered out loud.

"They are, that's why we are not doing it." Yoona answered.

"What is Ahjumma Power?" Sumi asked, annoyed. Everyone started laughing. "We are not old. Well, only Hyeri is."

"Your'e hopeless.." I sighed. I didn't want to start a fight with her, so I just ignored her comment.

"Who the hell thought about this names?" Himchan asked. "I can think of better names than this."

"This is ridiculous." I mumbled.

"What did you actually choose as our name?" Sey finally asked what we all wanted to know.

"Look." Yoona said and another slide appeared on the screen. This time it had one name and one logo on it - 'Peppermint'. The logo was a peppermint leaf, and the word peppermint was written in green on top of it and beneath it, completing a circle around it.

The room fell silent. I looked at the screen surprised. It has got to be a joke..

"That's not funny.. Show us the real name." Daehyun said, trying to make the situation better.

"It is the real name." Yoona said confidently.

"Are you trying to ruin them even before they debuted?" Youngjae asked.

"You debuted as rice, you are not much better.." she mumbled.

"We made it better. You are just trying to get them commercials, right? There is no way you thought it is a good name unless you want them to promote mint products." Daehyun said.

"If Red Velvet can do it, they can as well."

"Red Velvet is in SM!" I exclaimed. "You can't compare the two."

"We can't make it in serach engines either since all the results will be the plant.." Yujin said.

"Then make it work." Yoona said dryly.

"Can't you change that?" Eun Hee asked.

"Stop attacking her." The CEO said. "They worked on it a lot, and this name is final. Learn to live with it."

"There is no way we will make it with that name.." Sumi said bitterly.

"With your attitude you will definitely not." he retorted, glaring at her. "Come on, don't you want to hear the reason for choosing the name?"

"No." I answered. "It's probably something stupid."

"Hyeri.." The CEO glared at me. I shrinked in my place. Maybe I shouldn't have said it out loud, it's just frustrating. I looked at Yongguk. He was staring at me, a reassuring smile on his face. It helped me calm down a little.

"Yoona, go ahead." The CEO turned back to her, smiling.

"Well, we wanted to create a refreshing image. We think that it suit your style the most. We also thought about your fandom name and lightstick." The slide changed once again.

"The next thing.. You don't have to adopt it, but we also have a suggestion for your introduction." a single sentence appeared on the screen - 'We are peppermint and we are going to refresh your day!

I sighed. Can it get worse? I looked at the other girls. Their expressions were bad as mine.

"We are not doing it." I stated.

"Hyeri, stop being rude." Jinu scolded.

"Sorry.." I said quietly.

"Your fandom name is 'Refresheners', and your lightstick is shaped like a giant mint leaf. We made it look more like a plushie rather than a stick, and it can also spread mint fragrance. It fits your concept and it will also draw attention since it's unique." Yoona continued talking animatedly.

"This is it." Jinu stood next to her with the plushie. It actually looked cute and it's different, but I still don't agree with the concept.

"We will be a joke." Sumi argued.

"Then work harder to improve your reputation." Jinu said dryly. "Stop being spoiled, all of you. Do you think it's easy for us? The market is already over-saturated with idols, we need to think about something that will bring you attention and that people will remember. We are not doing this because we want to abuse you, we really think this is the best for you. Am I clear?"

"Yes.." we said quietly.

"Good, Now listen to Yoona without making unnecessary comments. We are not finished."

"Yes, oppa."

"We are going to introduce you one by one to the public acoording to your age. Each one will get three days. It will be divided to concept photo, personal profile and videos showing your talent. After we finish with Sumi we will reveal your group name and you will have group photo and group videos. Before I forget, this is your positions in the group. It was decided based on your personalities and your abilities." Yoona said, and now we could see a list.

 

Hyeri - leader, main vocal, main dancer.

Eun Hee - singer, dancer.

Sey - main rapper, dancer.

Yujin - lead rapper, singer.

Sumi - makane, visual, lead vocal, lead dancer.

 

"Why is Hyeri the leader?" Sumi exclaimed the moment she saw it.

"Because she can do it." The CEO said calmly.

"I don't want to." I stated. "I can't do this."

"This is not a discussion. If you have a specific problem come talk to me after the meeting, but it's not going to change." Jinu said. "And Sumi, don't cause trouble."

"Congratulations, leader-nim." Sey smiled warmly and patted my back.

"Thanks." I smiled shyly.

"Oh, look.. Birds of a feather flock together.." Himchan whispered to Yongguk. Yongguk smiled and returned his gaze to Hyeri, who looked unsatisfied.

"I forgot to tell you the most important thing." Yoona said, and I turned to look at her.

"We want to show that you are a versatile group that can do a lot of genres, so you have a double title track although it's only a mini album. Since it's summer, one of the songs is a cute pop song and the other one is a ballad. I also believe that your next album is going to have a different concept, so don't get too used to these genres."

"Wow, they are really going all out with them.." Zelo mumbled.

"Yes, looks like they are putting a lot of effort this time." Himchan agreed.

"They better put effort in promoting them properly, with the lousy name they chose." Youngjae snorted.

"That name is horrible." Daehyun agreed.

"Guys, stop it." Yongguk said, and they stopped talking.

"Girls, here is the schedules for the next couple of weeks." Jinu said and gave us a bunch of papers. It had all kinds of activities on them - photoshoot, recording, choreography practice, mv filming, album cover shooting.. So much work before the album is out.

"Your debut date is August 1st, so we have a little less than two months left." Jinu cut me off from my thoughts. That soon?

"Girls, stay here so we can talk about the next couple of days. The rest - dismissed." Jinu said.

Everyone started to dispersed, until we were left with Jinu and another girl from the PR team.

"This is the first batch of promotion." Jinu said and showed us a list on the screen. We examined it carefully. "This is for introducing you to the public."

 

 June 7 - Spicy - Hyeri surrounded by mint candies.

June 8 - Personal profile, regular pictures.

June 9 - Singing video, dancing video.

 

June 11 - Calming - Eun Hee resting in a giant tea cup (mint tea).

June 12 - Personal profile, regular pictures.

June 13 - Singing video, dancing video.

 

June 15 - Sweet - Sey eating a mint chocolate.

June 16 - Personal profile, regular pictures.

June 17 - Rapping video, dancing video.

 

June 19 - Healthy - Yujin brushig her teeth (mint flavoured tooth paste).

June 20 - Personal profile, regular pictures.

June 21 - Rapping and singing video, playing instruments video.

 

June 23 - Youthful - Sumi has a facial mask on her face (containing mint).

June 24 - Personal profile, regular pictures.

June 25 - Singing video, dancing video.

 

June 27 - Peppermint - the girls holding a giant mint leaf. Revealing logo.

 June 28 - A video greeting your fans and announcement of v app channel, fanclub name, etc.

June 29 - Covers (sing&dance) - "You don't love me" (Spica) and "Crazy" (4Minute).

 

"June 7th is in a few days.." I said.

"That's why we are doing a photoshoot tomorrow. We are going to take the normal photos tomorrow as well, so prepare yourselves." Jinu said.

"We have a v-app?" Yujin asked curiously.

"You will have one. You'll also get your personal twitter and instagram. We want you to update regulary, it's important."

"No problem." Sumi smiled.

 "Wait, so all the concept photos is so that people will guess it's mint?" Sey asked after staring at the screen a little longer.

"Exactly." Jinu smiled.

"This is ridiculous."

"What did we say about making unecessary comments?"

"It is a necessary comment, it really is ridiculous!" Sey claimed.

"It won't change." Jinu stated.

"Who chose the videos?" Eun Hee asked.

"Gun, Hyerim and the rap teacher. They know your abilities the best, so they chose your best performances."

"If you don't have any more questions about it, this is the schedule for your official debut." Jinu said and showed us another schedule.

 

July 1 - Coming soon - 1.8. Another group picture.

July 5 - Album cover photo - 'In The Middle'. Revealing release schedule.

July 10 - Members individual photos.

July 15 - Tracklist.

July 20 - Album medley.

July 25 - MV teasers - 'Sunsine' + 'Hunted'.

August 31 - Showcase. Start countdown.

August 1st, midnight - MV releases.

 

"First of all, about the album. It will contain six songs. We chose two different songs for the titles. It also means two music videos, so you'll have to work a little harder. The album name is 'In The Middle' because we want to show your versatility. If you are asked about it, say you are stuck in the middle because you haven't found your unique style yet and you like to try new things. It also fit your fresh image since you change your style all the time and bring something new. We will have a meeting about the songs in the album soon, before you start recording them." Jinu took a deep breath before continue talking.

"About the showcase.. Beside performing all the songs in the album, we have an introduction segment and a talk and we also want to do some solo stages. It will probably be things you did in the past, so you won't have to learn new dance routines for that. We will tell you everything once we figure everything out." Jinu continued talking. "Anymore questions?"

"When do we start recording and learning the choreographies?" I asked.

"This week. It's recording first and afterwards dancing. Don't expect too much sleep."

"So is princess over here getting a special treatment or an additional spotlight?" Sumi asked.

"No. Everything is divided equally, and honestly, you should be thankful she is getting you some attention because of her song with Yongguk. At least pretend to be nice to her when there are cameras around. We don't want negative rumors going around even before you debuted."

"Fine." Sumi said annoyed, crossinng her arms over her chest.

"Anymore problems, comments or questions?" Jinu asked.

"No."

"Then go rest since your real job start tomorrow." Jinu smiled. "Hyeri, stay here."

"Alright.." I said while the girls left the room.

 

~

 

"Why don't you want to be the leader?" Jinu asked and sat in front of me.

"Because I will do a terrible job at it. You should give it to Sey or something.."

"We know what you are capable of, you'll do great."

"What do I do with Sumi??" I asked.

"Let her be. She is still young, she will get back to her senses soon."

"What if she don't?"

"She has to. You grow up fast here, she is no execption." Jinu smiled. "Cheer up a little, you have me and the staff, and you have Yongguk as well. Everything will be fine, trust yourself a little."

"Fine." I sighed. I'm still not convinced, but I don't really have a choice.. We will see how it goes.

"Go rest as well."

"Thanks, oppa." I smiled and made my way back to the dorm.

 


 

Author's Note:

 

I would honestly fire the PR team and the one who came up with that name (and the names they eliminated)..

 

It was a lot of information, but it was important.

I hope you liked the chapter, I tried my best.

 

By the way, their next concepts is much better than their debut one, but you need to start somewhere and progress from there..

 

Thanks for reading, commenting, etc.. It means a lot to me! <3

 

M.