Chapter 41

Masks

Day 28:

"We need to talk." Yongguk said while entering his manager office.

"What is it?" the manager lifted his eyes from the paper he was reading.

"That graffiti.. Can we found out who did it?"

"It's probably your fans.." The manager said and went back to look at the paper in front of him.

"How do you know?" Yongguk insisted, grabbing the manager's attention once again.

"Who would have done it if not them? She hasn't debuted yet, she doesn't have haters. The only ones who would mind her presence is your fans because they don't want her to be around you."

"How comfortable.." Yongguk muttered. "It's not my fans."

"Then investigate it yourself." The manager said dryly. "If you don't have anything else to talk about, leave. I have things to do." Yongguk gave him one last look and stormed out of the room.

 

~

 

Yongguk was working in the studio when his phone rang. He looked at the screen - Hyeri. He picked it up.

"Oppa.." Hyeri's voice was heard before he managed to say something. She sounded like she was crying.

"Is everything okay?"

"No.. Bad dream.." She said while her voice cracked. She cried again.

"Where are you?" Yongguk asked.

"The playroom."

"Come to the studio, I'm there."

"Fine." She said and hanged up. He looked at the time - 3:30 AM. Why is she in the company at this hour? 

 

A few minutes later she entered the studio. She was wearing sweatpants and a big tshirt and her hair was tied up in a sloppy ponytail. She was pale, and she looked like she seen a ghost.

"Come here." Yongguk said and pointed over the empty couch. She went there quietly and sat on the couch, hugging her knees to her chest. He sat back on his chair and rolled over to her direction, so he was sitting in front of her.

"Why are you still in the company?" He asked softly.

"I can't sleep at the dorm, the girls will wake up if I have nightmares." Yongguk sighed.

"Was it the dream you told me about yesterday?" he asked carefully.

"Yes.." tears started to fall on her cheeks.

"Well, I'm here, and I'm fine."

"It felt real." Hyeri hugged her knees closer to her and rocked her body back and forth on the couch. She leaned her head on her knees, looking to the opposite direction from him.

"Do you want to stay here while I work?" He offered, since he didn't know what else to do.

"Can I?" She asked hopefully and looked at him, pleading. She looked like a little girl that was told that she can get ice cream instead of dinner.

"Yes. I can't give you a lot of attention, but if you want, you can stay here and you can sleep until I finish.. I'll walk you to your dorm afterwards."

"Thank you."

"Sleep well." he patted her head and went back to the computer to work.

Yongguk was busy working, but his gaze moved to Hyeri from time to time. He noticed she fell asleep soon after she lay down on the couch, hugging herself. He was supposed to be working, but he couldn't help but stare. She looked so.. Peaceful. He didn't see her like that for a while now. He smiled at how small she looked in her big tshirt, but she was still pretty. She is always pretty to him, even when she is looking like a mess. After a while he covered her with his jacket and went back to work, loaded with inspiration to write new songs.

 

Day 29:

I was waiting in the CEO's office with Yongguk and the managers. I had no idea why we were called there, so I was curious.

"I wanted to talk to you about some things related to the both of you.." The CEO started explaining. "First, I wanted to tell you that the police finished investigating what happened at 'Music Core'. It was negligence of the people in charge of the lighting, so wer'e going to press charges against them. And of course, they will be fired so they won't cause anymore damage."

"That's good." Yongguk said, while I stayed quiet in my seat. My mind went blank. I'm happy they won't work there anymore, but that doesn't make up for what I've been through since it happened. I'm still not okay, I'm just pretending I'm fine.

"Second, since the 'Running Man' broadcast and the incident video that went viral we are getting positive response towards the both of you, so you got a photoshoot and an interview in a magazine and your'e invited to 'You Hee Yeol Sketchbook' together." The CEO continued. "The managers will update you about the new schedules. Hyeri, make sure to promote your group properly."

"Will they ask about what happened?" I asked what I really wanted to know.

"Obviously."

"Can I not talk about it?"

"No. If they ask, you answer. That's how it works. You had enough time to process it."

"If she doesn't want to do it, don't let her do it." Yongguk said, trying to help me.

"Stay out of it." The CEO ordered him. "Hyeri, you remember our little talk, right? You promised to do anything."

"Y.. Yes." I stuttered a little.

"Then do as your'e told."

"Yes, sir." I bowed my head lightly.

"Now get out of here, you have work to do."

 

"Hey, are you okay?" Yongguk asked after we left the CEO office.

"Sure." I smiled.

"Don't lie to me."

"I'm fine. It was obvious they'll ask about it, just like they'll probably ask if wer'e dating."

"You don't have to answer.."

"I know." I said. At that moment my phone rang. I looked at the number and sighed. "I need to go, I have practice."

 

Day 30:

My alarm clock woke me up from a sweet sleep. I opened my eyes and looked at the date. A frown immediately appeared on my face. It's my 23rd birthday today. I used to like my birthday when I was a kid, but when I grew up I started to hate it, especially when I didn't have anyone to celebrate it with. It was just another day, signaling I'm getting older. I reluctantly got out of bed and started to wash up and get ready for the day. We still have "Show Champion" today, and afterwards I have to practice with the girls, like usual. It's getting harder and harder with each day that passes since the continuous lack of sleep affect me.

"Good morning!" Yongguk greeted smiling when I went inside the car.

"Morning.." I mumbled.

"Why are you grumpy? it's still early.."

"I don't feel like talking." I shrugged.

"Fine.." Yongguk trailed off and tucked his earphones in his ears. Good, it looks like he doens't know it's my birthday today..

 

I was resting in my dressing room after the recording when the there was a knock on the door. I opened the door and an unfamiliar female stood there. She looked about my age, maybe a year younger.

"Yes?" I asked politely.

"Sorry, unnie, but I have to do this." She said and then two guys appeared and grabbed my arms. One of them covered my eyes and the other one covered my mouth. I tried to resist, but it was useless. They started dragging me to somewhere, but I didn't know where. After a few minutes we stopped walking and they stopped holding me. That is weird.. We didn't walk much and it looked like we were still in the MBC building. I raised my hands slowly to remove the cover from my eyes and my mouth, and I saw that I was standing in a completly dark room. I started to process my situation when I heard a feminine voice - "One.. Two.. Three". Then there was light from somewhere and I realized it was a candle.. On a cake.

"Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you.. Happy birthday, dear Hyeri, happy birthday to you!" A loud singing was heard. The light was finally lit and I saw the culprits - Mamamoo, my group members, the whole B.A.P, Jinu and other staff from the company, VIXX and some other idols that came to congratulate me. I also noticed that we were in some kind of a conference room that was decorated with a lot of balloons. There were also snacks and beverages on the table.

"Earth to Hyeri, what are you waiting for? blow the candles! It's not the time to be dreaming." Sey scolded me.

"Ah, sorry.." I blushed, still trying to grasp the situation.

"Make a wish." Yujin said and brought the cake closer to me. I closed my eyes and made my wish - I want to be happy. I blew the candle and afterwards Eun hee came from behind me and shoved my face onto the cake, to the amusment of the people in the room.

"I'm all dirty because of you!" I complained while trying to clean my face from the cream.

"Happy birthday, kiddoh!" Himchan greeted while smiling and offered me some napkins. I took it and cleaned myself a little.

"What are you doing here? How did you know it's my birthday?" I asked Sey.

"I'm your best friend, of course I know when is your birthday." She pretended to get offended from my question. "And we kind of begged Jinu to help us." I looked at Jinu, who had an innocent look on his face.

"I'm sorry about that thing earlier, they forced ne to do it." The girl that knocked on my dressing room door came to me and pointed over at VIXX.

"Sorry, we needed someone you wouldn't recognize, so we asked some help from our stylist." Hongbin explained with an innocent face.

"And wer'e sorry too, we were forced to do it as well." the two guys that dragged me over here explained. One of them was Mamamoo's manager and the other one was their hairdresser.

"It's fine." I smiled. "Thank you guys."

"Can we eat now?" Daehyun asked.

"You ate on the way here!" Zelo exclaimed.

"I'm still hungry." Daehyun replied. Of course he is hungry.. It's a mystery how he is so skinny with all the food he eats..

"Birthday girl, say something!" Solar said, and everyone clapped, waiting for me to speak.

"Hmm.. Thank you so much! I didn't plan to celebrate my birthday, so I'm really grateful for making my birthday an enjoyable and memorable one."

We finally ate and I went to talk to everyone and thank them for coming. Slowly everyone dispersed and we went back to the company as well. I wanted to talk to Yongguk, but it felt like he is avoiding me for some reason.. Until he offered to walk me back to my dorm.

 

"Hyeri.." Yongguk called me before I entered my dorm.

"What is it?" I stopped in my place. 

"Happy birthday" he said shyly and took out something from his sweatshirt pocket. On a closer look, I noticed it was a wrapped box. It was a small box, wrapped in pink wrapping paper. It had a pink bow tie attached to it, to match the wrapping papaer, and an envelope.

"Thank you!" I blushed a little, but I had butterflies is my stomach. I wonder what it is..

"Can you.. Not open it right now?" He asked embarrassed, and I looked at him confused. Why would it give it to me now if he didn't want me to open it?

"Open it when your'e alone." Yongguk hurried to explain when he saw my confused face.

"Sure." I smiled. "Thanks a lot.. And for today as well."

"Your'e welcome, birthday girl. Happy birthday!" he smiled his gummy smile.

"Oppa.."

"What?"

"Birthday hug!" I said and hugged him. He smiled and hugged me back. We pulled apart and I went inside.

 

I sat in my bed, staring at the pink box, trying to guess what it is. I decided to open the envelope first. I read the note inside of it:

 

Happy birthday, babe!

I hope you had a great time today and that you'll have a wonderful year.

I'm really bad at these stuff, but I hope you'll like my little gift anyway.. I made it with my heart.

May your dreams come true this year!

Gukkie

 

I smiled like an idiot and opened the box. It had a phone case that mirrored the one I made for him. In fact, it looked like the female version of it - I gave him a gray phone case while mine was pink, I wrote "Bbang!" on his, and he wrote "Hyeri" on mine, his had tigger on it while I had Winnie the Pooh on mine, and lastly - I put Shishimato on his phone case and he put Shishimato holding a heart on mine. I couldn't hide my smile while looking at it, it was so cute! And it looks like he made it himself as well..

"Oh, a couple phone case, how cute!" Sey exclaimed when she noticed the phone case in front of me. She saw me making Yongguk's gift, so she knew how his phone case looked like.

"It's not a couple phone case."

"It looks the same." She said and took the phone case from my bed, examining it closely. I stayed quiet.

"Hyeri." She said after looking at it for a few moments.

"What?"

"How is that not a couple phone case when Shishi gave you his heart?" She asked and pointed over at the little Shishimato figure on it.

"It was just because we don't have a mascot." I reasoned.

"He could have put there a regular figure and not one holding a heart." She insisted. She has a point, though. But it's not a couple phone case.

"Stop talking nonsense!" I scolded her and took the phone case back, holding it close to me.

"I don't understand why you rejected him.. He is trying really hard." She sighed.

"I have my reasons. I'm doing it for him as well."

"Aren't you avoiding him because your'e just scared?" Sey asked.

"No!" I exclaimed. At least I think it's not because of that.. I don't know anymore.

"If you say so.." She said and went to take a shower, leaving me by myself.

I switched my phone case to the one he gave me and took a photo if it. I sent it to Yongguk with a massage - "Thank you, I love it!"

I fell asleep with a smile on my face. This birthday was the happiest one I had in a while.

 


 

 

Author's Note:

 

I know it's lame, I'm sorry.. I promise I'll make it up to you in the next chapter (and you'll get what you wanted..)

 

M.