Chapter 23

Masks

Daehyun stood dumbfounded in front of the girl talking to him. He was not expecting to hear that sentence from her.

"Say it again." Daehyun said, trying to sound as calm as possible.

"I.." The girl took a deep breath. "I need to meet this guy for dinner."

"Why?"

"You know why.. She said quietly, staring at the floor.

"No, I don't. And I don't understand why my girlfriend would meet other guys and expect me to be ok with it!" He raised his voice a bit, but not too much, so they won't attract unwanted attention. The last thing they need right now is to be discovered.

"It's not my choice.. He is really rich.. My group is not doing well and we need to meet him for dinner so he will support us." She moved her legs nervously, still not looking at Daehyun. Daehyun's blood boiled.

"I will support you." Daehyun said confidently, and the girl finally lifted her eyes to look at him.

"You can't. And I can't do anything about it since it's the company's decision." The girl shrugged.

"How about we tell them wer'e dating? It can boost your popularity.."

"I have a dating ban, remember? And it can hurt your populatiry if we do it."

"I will be fine.. And I can take responsibility for it.." Daehyun said.

"I don't want you to get affected. I don't want you to risk your career for me."

"Then what? Are you going to go to dinner with him?"

"It's just a dinner!" The girl exclaimed.

"Yeah, that's how it's starts.. Who knows what else you'll have to do later to satisfy him.." Daehyun snorted. "Your'e in this industry long enough to know what this kind of sponsors want.."

"You don't trust me, do you?" The girl asked, trying not to show it hurt her.

"I trust you, I don't trust him!" The girl shrugged. "And sorry for not wanting my girlfriend to go on dates with other guys trying to seduce her.."

"I'm not doing this because I want to!" She tried to explain.

"It doesn't make it ok." Daehyun said dryly. Does she really don't understand why he is upset?

Both of them stood there silently for a few minutes, absorbed in thoughts. None of them dared to look at the other.

"Choose one." Daehyun finally broke the silence.

"What?" She looked at him confused.

"It's either you stay with me and we'll figure things out, even if we need to go public with our relationship, or you go on a date with him and we are over." Daehyun stated. Saying this things hurt him, but he tried not to show it.

"Daehyun.." The girl called softly.

"You have until 5pm to give me your answer." He said and walked away, leaving the girl crying.

 

~

 

I walked down the hallway to the waiting room when I heard Daehyun's voice. I wanted to go and talk to him, but then I heard a girl's voice. I tried to recognize the voice but it didn't sound familiar. They sounded like they were in the middle of an argument.. It wasn't really my buisness, so I turned back and did a detour to the waiting room.

On the way there I thought about the scene earlier.. Yongguk was really weird. Does he has a grudge against that guy or something?

"Earth to Hyeri.." Himchan's voice cut me off from my thoughts. He was standing in front of me, waving his hands in front of my face. I didn't even realized he was there until he raised his voice.

"Oh, sorry, I didn't notice you were here." I apologized.

"Yeah, I figured.." Himchan smiled. "What were you thinking about?"

"Just some stuff.." I shrugged.

"Have you seen Daehyun? He still needs to do his makeup.."

"I think he was talking to someone earlier.."

"Someone?" Himchan asked.

"A girl maybe? I don't know, I didn't see their face clearly and I didn't eavesdropped, so I don't know who it was."

"Of course he will go talk to her.." Himchan sighed.

"Her?" It was my turn to ask.

"Where did you see him?" Himchan ignored my question.

"Over there." I pointed to the direction. "Who is she?"

"That's not for you to know." Himchan smiled. This annoying guy.. He can't ask for information and then not tell me anything about it..

"Himchan!"

"What?" He asked innocently.

"Is it someone important?"

"I don't know. And stop asking me questions. If you want to know who is she, ask Daehyun." He ruffled my hair. Why does everyone mess with my hair today?

"Fine." I sighed.

"By the way.."

"What?"

"Never mind." Himchan said and stared at the floor.

"What is it?" I insisted.

"It's really nothing." He smiled. "Go get ready, and I'll go find Daehyun."

 

~

 

"Daehyunnie.." I sat next to him after we finished the performance. He was sitting on the couch, leaning his head on the headrest.

"What is it?" He asked without looking at me. His eyes were closed, and he looked like he was cought up deep in thoughts.

"Are you ok?" I asked worriedly. He looked upset. He managed to hide it while performing, but backstage it was a whole different story.

"Sure." He smiled, still not opening his eyes.

"You don't look ok.."

"I'm fine." Daehyun assured me.

"How do you do this?"

"Do what?" He looked at me confused.

"Pretending your'e fine when your'e not."

"It's my job." He smiled. "If I look upset on stage my fans will be upset as well.."

"But still.. What if you don't feel like doing it?"

"Look.." He put his hand on my shoulder, facing me. "You forgot our job is to entertain people. The people watching don't care what you had gone through during the day, they just want a distraction from their awful day. And if they are smiling afterwards it's worth it.."

"Jung Daehyun!" A female voice interrupted our conversation. She looked angry and glared at Daehyun and me.

"It's not what you think!" Daehyun got up and raised his hands in defeat.

"Nice for you, lecturing me about going to dinner with someone while you are getting intimate with another girl.."

"We are not getting intimate and we have nothing going on between us.. You misunderstood." I tried to explain.

"I'm not talking to you!" She raised her voice.

"Don't yell at her. If your'e angry vent your anger on me." Daehyun rebuked her.

"I came to give you your answer, but looks like you already decided.." The girl shot.

"I told you I didn't do anything, why can't you believe me?"

"I should leave you to settle it by yourselves.." I said, trying to leave. It's not my buisness and I don't want to get in between them.

"Your'e not going anywhere!" The girl raised her voice and grabbed my hand, preventing me from moving.

"What the hell are you doing?" Yongguk came into the room, glaring at the girl.

"N.. Nothing.." The girl stuttered and released my hand. I guess she was scared of him. I wouldn't blame her since he can be scary at times, especially if you don't know him.

"It's really nothing." I tried to smile.

"Let's go talk somewhere else.." Daehyun said to the girl and took her hand, leading her outside of the room. She followed him quietly, and I was left alone with Yongguk.

"Are you ok? Did she do anything to you?" Yongguk asked worriedly.

"No, I'm fine. It was really nothing."

"Good." Yongguk smiled.

"Is she dating Daehyun?" I asked. I figured it out from the  situation in the room, but I wanted to confirm it.

"Yes, but it a secret."

"That must be nice for him, having someone to worry about him and take care of him.." I said absentmindedly.

"You have your family and friends.." He said, trying to cheer me up. Unintentionally, I frowned at the mention of my family.

"I don't have a family, nor friends." I said dryly.

"I'm sorry.." Yongguk trailed off. Her last sentence took him by surprise.

"It's ok, it's not like you knew.." I tried to smile.

"Can I ask what happened?" He cautiously asked.

"I'm not in touch with my family and I didn't have time to make friends since I needed to take care of myself." I answered shortly, not wanting to start a conversation about this topic.

"I'm sorry.." He said quietly, stuffing his hands in his pockets.

"Don't pity me, I'm not a charity case and I hate pity the most. I'm fine with this situation since I got used to it by now, and I'm happy like that."

Yongguk examined Hyeri. She always looked strong and independent to him, but he didn't know she became like this because she didn't have a choice. Looks can be decieving.. Maybe they are more similar than he thought..

He wantd to know more about her life and her family, but he decided not to push further since she didn't seem like she wanted to talk about it and he didn't want to force her.

"So.. How long is Daehyun dating her?" I asked when Yongguk didn't say anything, trying to break the awkward silence.

"What?" Yongguk asked. Looks like he was thinking about something, so he didn't hear my question.

"How long are they dating?"

"Oh.. Hmm.. Almost a year. I know she seemed a little scary earlier, but she is nice. It just that you probably caught her in a bad mood."

"I figured.." I smiled. "She thought Daehyun was cheating on her with me." Yongguk laughed. I love his laugher so much.

"That's just because she doesn't know you.. It's clear your'e not intrested in him."

"Why are you so sure?" I teased. "He's handsome, caring.."

"Because both of us know who your'e thinking about.." He stepped closer, closing the distance between us. I stepped backwards, until I met the wall.

"I changed my mind." I stated, trying not to sound affected by his closeness.

"Really?" He managed to close the gap and now our bodies were millimeters apart. He stared into my eyes.

"Really." I mustered all my energy to speak without stuttering.

"I don't think so." He whispered into my ear, and shiver went down my spine.

"Am I that fun to tease? Why are you playing with me?" I asked.

"Because I like it." Yongguk smiled.

"Your'e an idiot." I stated, getting away from him.

"Your idiot?" He asked.

"I don't know.. Are you mine?" I returned the question back to him. Both of us can play this.

"Maybe." He shrugged. What was that supposed to mean?

"Stop pretending, both of us know you don't like me in that way." I got impatient and tired of all this.

"How do you know I don't?" He stuffed his hands in his pockets.

"Are you seriously asking this after all wev'e been through?" I was starting to get annoyed.

"I only told you I'm not right for you, I didn't tell you I don't like you." Yongguk explained. Is he kidding me? Why is he being a smarty pants all of a sudden?

"Well, isn't that the same? If you liked me we would have dated."

"Nope. It's not the same. I can like you but still think we can't date because you can get hurt or because of other reasons."

"Then in that case, aren't you a coward? I mean, you give up on something you want just because your'e afraid."

"That's one way to look at it.. But maybe it's just for the other person's own good. He just doesn't want them to get hurt."

"But aren't they hurting more knowing the other person don't like them or can't date them?"

"Not necessarily."

"Then.. Do you like me?" I gathered my courage to finally ask. That hypothetical conversation was starting to confuse me.

"There you are.. Everyone is looking for you, we need to go." B.A.P's manager came into the room. What a terrible timing.. Me and my crappy luck.

"Wer'e coming." Yongguk smiled and started following him. I did the same, although I was irritated by his disturbance. I guess I'll need to get my answer in another day..

 


 

Author's note:

 

I'm sorry for the late update, I'm a little sick.

I'm not sure about how it came out.. I hope you'll like it.

 

I have new subscribers, so thanks for subscribing :)

And thanks for reading, even if your'e silent!

 

M.