Chapter 43

Masks

Day 32:

"What the hell happened to you?" Jinu asked Yongguk when he noticed the bruises covering his face. Little did he know that his face was Yongguk's smallest problem right now..

"I got robbed." Yongguk lied.

"Have you seen a doctor?" Jinu asked concerned.

"Yes, I got a cracked rib and some bruises."

"And you are telling me this only now? How are you going to perform like this?"

"I'm fine. I'm taking pain killers and I should be fine as long as I'm not overworking myself.."

"Come to my office, I wanted to talk to you and Hyeri anyway about the photoshoot, but it looks like we will have some other things to talk about as well.."

"After you."

 

~

 

I waited in Jinu's office until he came back. He told me to meet him there but then disappeared, so I ended up waiting for him there. My wait was finally over when he came back to his office with Yongguk. I frowned.

"Sit down." Jinu said to Yongguk, who didn't move.

"Does it hurt?" Jinu asked Yongguk and he nodded, leaning his body on the wall. Is he hurt that badly? I immediately kicked those thoughts out of my mind. It's not my business anyway.

"Alright, then stand. Whatever make you comfortable." Jinu smiled and sat down near his desk. He looked at some papers and then turned back to us.

"I originally wanted to talk about your photoshoot, but things changed a little.." Jinu started talking. "As you can see, Yongguk is hurt, hence we need to readjust our plans."

"So careless.." I muttered, probably a little too loud.

"It's partially your fault to begin with.." Yongguk said.

"How is that my fault exactly?" I turned around to him, and it was the first time I saw him since I left the warehouse. I scanned his face. He had a lot of bruises on them, and his body is probably in even worse condition..

"If you hadn't kicked me accidently instead of hitting the robbers I wouldn't be that injured." Robbers? Seriously? That was the best thing he could think of? I guess it's a good explanation to why he is injured..

"Wait, Hyeri was there with you when you were robbed?" Jinu asked, confused from the new informarion.

"Yes, we met there by chance." Yongguk answered. I rolled my eyes at the obvious lie. That doesn't make any sense.

"Where was it?" Jinu asked. It looks like he bought it..

"Jamsil." I answered.

"Gangnam." Yongguk answered at the same time.

"So was it Jamsil or Gangnam?" Jinu asked in a more stern tone. Looks like he is beginning to suspect, but who wouldn't?

"Gangnam. Hyeri can't tell the difference between Busan and Seoul, do you want her to differentiate between Jamsil and Gangnam?" Yongguk exclaimed. Is he making fun of me? That was enough for me to flare up.

"By the way, I didn't hit you because I aimed wrongly, I kicked you on purpose because you deserved it and I would do it again, you ." I retorted.

"Language." Jinu commented.

"Sorry.." I said quietly.

"I have a cracked rib thanks to you, princess.. How are you going to take care of it now?" Yongguk questioned. Oops.. I didn't mean it to be that bad, and I didn't think I hit him that strongly.. I was just mad, and probably a little over-reacting, but I'm not apologizing. He still deserved it.

"How do you know it's cracked because of me? Maybe it's like that because of the robbers." I put my hands on my waist.

"Does it matter? It doesn't change the fact you hit me, and your'e actually proud of it."

"Hyeri, did you really hit him?" Jinu asked.

"Yes." I lowered my gaze, embarrassed.

"Why?"

"He lied to me." I said quietly. I know it's not an excuse, but that was my reason.

"I didn't lie, I just didn't tell you the whole truth." Yongguk said.

"How is that not lying?!" I turned back to Yongguk, raising my voice a little.

"Yongguk, why did you lie to her?" Jinu asked. How does he always end up in between the both of them? If he wanted to be a kindergarten teacher or a marriage consultor he wouldn't be working as an idol manager.

"I didn't want her to get hurt." Yongguk answered. I snorted. Does he think hiding things from me wouldn't anger me? I rather him telling me the truth, no matter how bad it is.

"Hyeri, you can't beat people up, no matter how much they anger you. This company is training artists, not gangsters." Jinu turned to me.

"I know." I said quietly. I am fully aware of that, I just.. Lost control.

"Apologize to him."

"No." I insisted. I still have my pride. I'm not apologizing to him, even if I did wrong.

"Yah, do you want to get kicked out? You haven't debuted yet, we can still make changes." Jinu said.

"No, but.." I tried to argue, but I got cut off by Yongguk.

"Stop lying." Yongguk mocked from behind.

"I'm not talking to you, I'm talking to my manager." I glared at Yongguk.

"I have headache." Jinu sighed, rubbing his temples.

"Here, oppa." I offered Jinu a glass of water that I found on the table.

"So now your'e resorting to flattering? I'm impressed, I really underestimated you." Yongguk shot.

"Shut up or I'll actually kick you again in the same place, even if I get kicked out for doing it." I threatened. I didn't really mean it, but I can't let him know that.

"Hyeri, since Yongguk is a little disabled thanks to you, take care of him until he feels better, I don't care what you have to do." Jinu said. The glass of water was now empty.

"What? That's not fair!" I protested.

"Why do I have to be stuck with her longer then necessary?" Yongguk argued as well, earning a glare from me.

"It's not that I like spending time with you either, jerk." I shot.

"HYERI!" Jinu scolded me. I shrinked in my place.

"Sorry.." I said quietly.

"For now all of your injuries are from the robbery." Jinu stated. "Hyeri, one mistake and the CEO will know the truth and your'e out, got it?" Jinu looked at me.

"Yes, sir."

"Now go. I need to talk to Yongguk."

 

~

 

"I'm sorry for doing this to you.." Jinu apologized to Yongguk when Hyeri left the room.

"It's fine." Yongguk shrugged.

"I'm only doing this because I know you can handle her.."

"I'm not sure I can anymore.." Yongguk sighed, moving his legs nervously.

"She likes you. She is stubborn as hell somtimes, but you can tell she is crazy over you just by the way she looks at you." Yongguk stayed quiet. "Tell me if it's too hard on you, I will find another solution."

"Why are you defending her so much?" Yongguk suddenly asked.

"What do you mean?" Jinu asked confused.

"You know that anyone else would be kicked out a long time ago. Why are you so desperate to keep her?" Yongguk explained. Jinu sighed before talking.

"You probably know better than I do that she doesn't like to show weakness. She would probably rather die than admitting it, but it's obvious she is going through something right now.. Other people will turn to their family and friends when they are having a hard time, but she doesn't have that. She is just dealing with everything by herself, for better or for worse."

"Where is her family?" Yongguk asked. Hyeri told him once she doesn't have family or friends, but she didn't tell him why and he didn't want to pressure her further when they talked, so he is clueless about it, and in fact, about all her life. Getting to know her is like peeling an onion - One layer every time. He wished he knew how many more layers he has to peel, since everytime he is meeting a side of her he didn't knew that existed.

"You should ask her about it, it's not my job to tell you that." Jinu shrugged, disconnecting Yongguk from his thoughts.

"Are they alive?"

"Yes. They are just not in touch."

"Okay, so what do you want me to do with her?"

"Whatever you want. I know you won't abuse her and your'e probably the only one that can handle her right now, so I'm trusting her to you."

"Why?"

"Because you like her as well. I don't know why it takes you so long to get together, but you balance each other and you bring out the best from one another when your'e not killing each other. I know you well enough by now to know that."

"Tell it to your stubborn idol.. She keeps rejecting me all the time." Yongguk shrugged.

"She really is something.." Jinu laughed. "Patience is a virtue. And I know you have a lot of it since it's a necessity for dealing with Hyeri."

"You can just tell me you are too lazy to handle her yourself.." Yongguk tried to joke.

"I figured you'll find out eventually.." Jinu replied, joking as well.

 

~

 

I went back to the dorm and took a long shower. I really needed it to sort out my thoughts. I feel bad for Yongguk, but my stupid pride don't let me apologize. He deserved it and I'm still mad at him and his friends. Maybe I can make it up to him little by little when he orders me around.. He will just think I'm doing it because I have to, and I wouldn't have to apologize to him.. Unless he asks for an apology. I just hope that he wouldn't take advantage of this, but can I trust him?

I got out of the shower, wrapped in my towel.

"How was your day?" Sey asked while sitting on her bed. She tried to start a conversation with me yesterday as well, but I ignored her. I started wearing my pajamas and climbed to my bed.

"Are you really not going to talk to me?" She asked. I stayed silent.

"Look, I know I messed up and I'm sorry, but we didn't know what else to do since we didn't wanted you to get involved in this thing. It's complicated and like you saw, Zico is quite messed-up. We were just trying to protect you." Sey said when I kept quiet. I tucked my earphones in my ears, pretending not to hear her, but I didn't turn any music on. She tried a couple more times to get my attention, but eventually gave up. I stayed there, and somehow fell asleep.

 

~

 

Yongguk was tossing and turning in his bed. His thoughts didn't allow him to fall sleep.

"What's wrong?" Himchan asked when he had enough of his roomate's restlessness.

"Nothing." Both of them knew it wasn't true. Himchan could guess what Yongguk was thinking about even if he didn't say anything.

"Why don't you just go and apologize to her?"

"It's useless." Yongguk shrugged.

"Just try." Himchan encouraged him. "If she won't listen to you she won't listen to anyone."

"Why does everyone keep saying that to me lately?"

"Maybe because it's true?" he suggested.

"It's not true. It's a fact she is not listening to me."

"I really don't know which one of you is more stubborn.." Himchan sighed.

"Is that really a question? It's obvious it's her." Yongguk argued.

"You are not so far behind.." Himchan muttered.

"Good night, chatterbox." Yongguk chan.

"Good night, grandpa." Himchan teased back. Yongguk threw a pillow at Himchan, but he was out of the room already.

 


 

 

Author's Note:

 

Looks like the badass Hyeri is back in the dungeon, at least for now.. I'll consider a comeback :)

 

If this chapter is boring it's just because I had to fill the blanks somehow before the next chapters.

 

I debated with myself if continuing the story like this or continue it in another way since this way will be longer and knowing myself I will have a hard time letting go of Yongguk and Hyeri's interactions because I like writing them, but I promise it won't be too long before changing the focus a little to the girls (they need to debut..). This part of the story is dragging a little more than I expected and I feel a little bad because of it, but I promise there will be more B.A.P parts from now on since Hyeri and Yongguk won't be promoting forever..

 

Just a clarification since I'm not sure if it's clear enough from the story (or if it's going to affect the story in anyway) - Yongguk's ribs are not fractured, it's just a little cracked. Hyeri kicked his lower ribs because she didn't want to cause actual damage (that didn't work out that well, but it could have been worse if she was targeting his chest instead).

 

A little rant that I had to write:

First, this is not meant for the ones who comment and tell me what they think :)

I know I can't please everyone, but I am trying to do my best and I want to improve because I know I'm still lacking in a lot of aspects, but I can only do that if I'm getting a feedback from you, including a bad one. I do understand silent readers since unfortunately I'm usually one, so I'm not attacking you or anyhting, and please don't get me wrong, but if you do have a critisicm or comments then let me know so I can improve, I don't care if it's here or in private (I promise I don't bite). I just.. Can't read your minds and I can't tell if I'm doing something wrong, so you need to help me improve if you want to see some improvement.

And on a happier note related to this - I like having conversations with you in the comments and talking about the plot\characters, it made my day, and I like hearing your opinions\thoughts :)

I'm sorry for the rant.. I just had to let it out. I really appreciate all of you, including the silent ones (and I hope you didn't get me wrong). I'm not trying to force you to comment or anything, I was just trying to say that I welcome any kind of comments, and I actually prefer your criticism better than just unsubscribing (which is your right if you decide to do it) since at least if you comment something I know what I need to work on.

 

As always, thank you for reading, commenting, etc. It means a lot to me! <3 

 

That's probably the longest Author's note I wrote.. I'm sorry. Next one will be much shorter.

 

 M.