Chapter 108

Masks

"What are you doing here?" Sey asked when Youngjae entered our van, making himself comfortable.

"Working?" he answered. "You do know I host the show.." now he turned to look at her.

"But we have pre-recording, and the show is much later. Why would you go there so early?" she questioned, clarifying her intention.

"I have things to do." he shrugged and leaned back in his seat, closing his eyes.

"Youngjae.." I said quietly while taking the empty seat next to him, facing him.

"Hmm?" he didn't open his eyes.

"Please take good care of us." I bowed, although he couldn't see it. I know he will, but it doesn't hurt to ask, right?

"You are really doing all kind of things, don't you?" he muttered while scanning me.

"What?" I asked confused, lifting my head to look at him.

"Don't be too nice to people." he stated and turned to look outside the window. What's with the cryptic message and his weird behaviour today?

"Okay.." I mumbled.

"Don't you think it's a given I'll take care of you?" he asked, still not looking at me.

"Yeah, I mean.. You are a nice person and.. You are.. Our senior.." I stuttered.

"Why are you stuttering?" he chuckled.

"You are stressing me out!" I exclaimed and crossed my arms over my chest.

"I was just messing with you." he smiled and messed my hair.

"Is everyone ready?" Jinu asked while sitting behind the wheel.

"Yes." we answered.

"Great. Let's go." he smiled and started the car's engine.

 

~

 

When we reached the studio Youngjae did his own thing while we did ours, which was rehearsing and the pre-recording.

In the pre-recording we did "Sunshine". We were dressed in really colorful clothes and it actually hurt my eyes to look at it. I don't know what the stylist was thinking when she chose this clothes, but it's not like I have a say in this matter..

While performing I noticed there were like 30 fans there, most of them males. We did try to communicate with them a bit, but it was hard because we had to record.

"Oppa.." I called Jinu when we reached the dressing room after the recording.

"What?"

"We have time until the live show, right?"

"Yes."

"What does our fans do in the meantime?"

"Those who stay for the live broadcast wait, obviosuly."

"Then can we go see them?" I asked.

"No." Jinu said dryly.

"Why not?" I pouted.

"You have to practice."

"But we did fine and we practiced yesterday.."

"You know that's not an excuse." he stared intently at me, signaling me he was serious.

"We'll practice afterwards.. It's not like we'll be with them the whole time."

"It's still a no."

"Oppa!" I whined.

"What?"

"What's wrong with doing a surprise fan meet? You want us to get fans, right? So it's important to treat them well.. We barely had any interaction with them until now. Besides, we're not doing anything and they have nothing to do either. We just wait." I reasoned. It's not like I asked something weird or unacceptable.. Every artist want to meet his fans because that's his source of energy and the reason he keeps working hard.

Jinu sighed heavily and then called the girls to gather around us.

"Do you want to meet your fans?" he asked the other girls.

"Yes!" they beamed.

"But I have a few conditions." Jinu stated.

"What is it?" Sumi asked.

"You are not meeting them for a long time. Behave properly and don't say something that can damage you or get you in trouble. Be careful, and when we get back here you have some things to do. No protesting and no complaining."

"What things?" Sey asked curiously.

"I'll tell you afterwards."

"Fine." I agreed.

"Are the rest of you okay with it?" Jinu asked, looking at the other girls.

"Yes." they answered together.

"Then I'll talk to the fanstaff."

 

Ten minutes later, we found ourselves outside the building, standing in front of the fans who came to watch us. Like my previous estimation, there were like 30 people there, the majority males. They also looked like they were in high school or in their twenties.

"One, two, three." I counted.

"Hello, we are 'Peppermint' and we are going to refresh you day!" we greeted and bowed.

Our fans clapped enthusiastically, and we smiled brightly.

"I'm Sumi. I'm in charge of singing and dancing and I'm the youngest member in the group." she introduced herself and bowed again. Our fans clapped.

We followed her and introduced ourselves in our turn.

"Let's sit down, it's weird standing when everyone else is sitting.." I offered.

"True. It feels like we are superior that way, and it makes us feel uncomfortable. Let's sit down so we can be in the same level." Sey said and we sat down on the ground.

"I'm sorry we didn't prepare anything special for you, we didn't know we were going to meet you like this.." I apologized.

"We just wanted to see you." Yujin added, smiling.

"We promise to do better next time." Eun Hee said.

"So.. Is there something you want to tell us or ask us?" I asked.

There was silence.. And not the good kind. It was kinda embarrassing.

"Then how about we start first?" Sey offered, trying to make the atmosphere better and less awkward.

"That's a good idea!" Yujin exclaimed.

"What do you think about our lightstick?" I asked after looking around. They were all holding them, and some of them were holding signs with our names written on it as well.

Finally someone raised his hand to talk. It was a girl and she looked like she is in her early twenties.

"The one with the red shirt that raised her hand." I said while looking at her, smiling. Now everyone was looking at her as well. "What's your name?"

"Minjae." she said shyly, burying her eyes on the ground.

"So, what do you think, Minjae?" I asked.

"I.. Think.. It's.. Special." she stuttered.

Someone else raised his hand, this time it was a guy. He looked around my age.

"What's your name?" Sey asked, looking at him.

"Kyungsoo." the guy answered.

"What did you want to say?" she asked, smiling warmly.

"I wanted to ask what do you think about it." he answered.

"Well, the first time we saw it we thought it was a joke." Eun Hee admitted, and our fans laughed.

"Then how about now?" he asked.

"I think we got used to it." Eun Hee answered and we nodded in agreement.

"It's also special, like Minjae said, and it's sticking out when you are in a crowd, so we can trace it easily and see where you are sitting or standing." I added.

"That's true." my group members agreed.

Now a girl raised her hand. She definitely looked like a high schooler.

"Yes?" Yujin asked, looking at her.

"I'm Da Hee."

"That's a pretty name." Yujin complimented her.

"Thanks." Da Hee started to blush.

"What is your question, Da Hee?" Yujin asked kindly.

"Are you close to other idols?" Da Hee asked.

"Hmm.. I think Hyeri is the one that knows more idols.." Sey answered.

"It's only because I already promoted, and I'm not that close to them.." I mumbled, embarrassed. Why is this subject always popping up? It's like they don't have anything else to talk about but Yongguk and other people. I prefer answering questions about myself rather then talking about others.. It's also safer and will probably cause less troubles.

"All of us are close to B.A.P because we are in the same company and they helped us a lot and supported us." Sumi said.

Kyungsoo raised his hand once more. "What is it, Kyungsoo?" Sey asked, smiling.

"Hyeri, who are you close to?" he asked. I guess there is no way to avoid the topic..

"Hmm, I'm close to Mamamoo and that's about it." I answered. "Beside B.A.P and them I'm not particulary close to anyone at the moment."

"Then what about VIXX?" Yujin asked curiously, looking at me.

"They are nice kids." I smiled. "They promoted while I promoted the song with Yongguk, but we didn't spend that much time together.. But I do like them! If I have the opportunity I want to get closer to them."

"Next question!" Eun Hee declared, changing the subject.

Silence again. Why is this so awkward? Is it supposed to be like this?

"If you don't say anything we will do all the talking and it will be boring." Sumi said jokingly.

Now another guy raised his hand. This guy looked realy big, in a good way. He was all bulked up and masculine.

"What's your name?" Sumi asked.

"Minho."

"So what do you want to ask?" Sumi asked, smiling.

"Can you sing one of your songs? And dance as well."

"Sure." Sumi smiled. "What song?"

"Anything you want." Minho smiled.

"Then how about we decide by voting? That's how we usually decide things.." Sumi offered and our fans nodded in agreement.

We did a vote on the songs in our album and magically, our title song won. I have no idea how, but I guess it's a good opportunity to test our fans to see if they know the fanchants or not and to practice as well. Maybe now Jinu won't force us to practice if we do well..

"We will do it in one condition - You have to do the fanchants. Let's think of it as practice for the live show." Yujin said cheerfully.

We did our song without mistakes and when we finished we sat down in our places. We talked some more until Jinu signaled us we need to finish and go back inside.

"Unfortunately we need to go back, but we had a lot of fun and we will try to do this more and meet you more often." Sey said happily.

"How about we take a picture?" Sumi offered.

"That's a great idea!" Yujin exclaimed. "We should totally do that! And we should upload it as well!"

We took a few pictures together and bid farewell while Jinu goaded us to get back to our dressing room.

 

~

 

"Where were you?" Youngjae asked curiously when we got back. He was in our dressing room for some reason instead of his own room, his eyes glued to his phone.

"Meeting our fans." Eun Hee smiled brightly.

"I thought you were busy.." I said and took a seat on the couch.

"I'm done for the time being." Youngjae smiled.

"Girls.." Jinu approachd us, followed by staff members carrying a bunch of albums and photocards.

"What is it?" Sumi asked.

"You need to sign these albums and photocards."

"Why?" Yujin asked curiosuly.

"We did a collaboration with a few companies in order to promote you, so we are giving away signed albums and photocards." he explained while the staff placed everything on the table in the center of the room.

"You should get used to it.. You are going to do this a lot in the future, including in fansigns." Youngjae said.

"Can we keep a few?" I asked.

"Why?" Jinu asked.

"I want to give it to someone.." I said quietly.

"So shameless.. Are you trying to flirt with people? You are already dating.." Sumi muttered.

"It's not for that purpose, it's for friends!" I exclaimed.

"You just said you don't have idol friends.." Sumi retorted. "And I doubt you have actual friends in the real world."

"Well, it's for some people I want to be close to. Why are you so interested in my social life?" 

"Forget it." she sighed.

"Girls, come here." Jinu said and pointed at the table. "You need to start signing."

"Yes, oppa." we obeyed and took our seats.

I don't know how much time passed, but it felt like we were signing for hours, and it didn't seem to end. Why is it so tiring?

 

~

 

"Done." I smiled happily, looking at all the things we signed on.

"It was tiring." Sey said, leaning her arm on my shoulder.

"Now get dressed, the show is about to start." Jinu said and left us in order to take care of a few things.

"He is really weird today." Eun Hee commented after Jinu was out of the room.

"Youngjae is also weird." I said, and Sey nodded in agreement.

"He is probably tired or something.." Eun Hee said and we all looked curiously at her. "I mean, the boys are preparing for their new album, and it must be tiring." she hurried to explain.

"If you say so.." Yujin said.

 

~

 

"Youngjae-ssi.." the female MC said cutely.

"Yes, Solbin?" Youngjae smiled.

"The next group.. You know them quite well, right?"

"Yes. I have known them since they were trainees, so I'm really happy to be here with them right now." Youngjae answered happily.

"They just debuted a few days ago and they are cheering us up with their presence, Peppermint!" Solbin introduced us and the camera focused on us.

"One, two three." I counted quietly.

"Hello, we are 'Peppermint' and we are going to refresh your day!" we chanted and bowed.

"That's a nice name. Would you tell us about it a little?" Solbin asked.

"Sure. We want to create fresh music that people can relate to." Sey answered.

"Your music is fresh indeed." Youngjae commented, complimenting us.

"Thank you." we said in unison.

"You are performing two songs today, right?" Solbin asked.

"Yes. We are performing 'Sunshine' and 'Oppa Is Mine!'. Both of the songs are happy and cheerful, and we hope everyone enjoys it." I said, smiling brightly.

"Please sing a few lines from your song." Youngjae asked.

We sang a couple of lines from "Oppa Is Mine" and the two of them clapped when we finished.

"That was cheerful." Solbin commented, smiling.

"Please look forward to their performance in a bit." Youngjae said and the camera turned to film him and his partner.

"Oppa-ya." Solbin said cutely.

"Yes?" Youngjae turned to her.

"What should we do? Stellar is Crying.." Solbin faked her concern.

"We should go help them.." he motioned her to hurry and go and followed her out of the set until the producer signaled them it's fine.

 

~

 

"Youngjae, your acting ." Eun Hee said when the camera stopped filming.

"Blame the writers for giving us such cheesy lines." he shrugged.

"I don't think I can handle any more weird introductions today.." Solbin complained and approached us.

"We still have Seventeen and that rapper.." Youngjae said and Solbin sighed. "But you did well." he smiled, cheering her up.

"Thanks." she smiled.

"Girls, go get ready. You are up next." one of the KBS staff announced and it was our sign to leave them alone so they can also prepare for the next segment.

 

~

 

"Oppa, can we go home now? We're tired." Sumi asked when we sat in the van.

"No. We have pre-recording for 'Music Core' tonight." he informed us and we frowned. We are tired and this is not really helping.

"I know it's tiring, but you can't avoid it forever.. There is a limit to our connections." Jinu said. "Be grateful this is the first time this week you are recording at night, other groups do this all the time."

"But we're tired!" Sumi whined.

"Well, tomorrow you are only doing the live show and you'll have more time to practice in the morning instead of wasting your time waiting." he reasoned.

"Fine." she said, annoyed.

During the ride I texted Yongguk - "Are you busy?"

"I'm taking a break :)" he answered quickly.

"Make sure to eat."

"Yes, mom."

"You always make fun of me when I worry about you, but you don't take care of yourself.. What did you actually eat today?"

In response he sent me a picture of him eating ramyun.

"That's only one meal." I replied. Knowing he tends to forget his meals, I'm not dropping the subject.

Yongguk's answer made me smile like an idiot for some reason - "Then come back here and feed me :P"

"I really want to, but I can't.. I have pre-recording for tomorrow's show, it'll probably end late :\"

"The company went easy on you this week.."

I stared at my phone. That was not the answer I was expecting. First Jinu, and now him.. Why do they have to mention other people are working harder? We work hard enough and we are suffering as well.. Yongguk should know that better than anyone because he is usually the first and only person I'm going to when I'm having a hard time or when I'm struggling.

"Hyeri.." Sey nudged my arm.

"Hmm?" I looked at her, forgetting about my thoughts and Yongguk.

"Your phone is ringing. Aren't you going to answer?"

I looked at my phone and I got a call from Yongguk. I probably spaced out while thinking, so I didn't notice it.

"Yeah.. Thanks." I mumbled and answered the call.

"Took you long enough to answer.." Yongguk said before I could say something.

"What is it?" I asked.

"You didn't answer my text and I wanted to hear your voice.."

"You heard it now." I said dryly.

"Are you mad?" he asked, bewildered.

"No. I'm just tired."

"Babe.."

"What?"

"You did well in the show today, and I'm sure you'll do great in the recording as well. I probably don't say it enough, but I'm proud of you." he said and it made me smile and blush. My annoyance from earlier started to dissolve. Maybe I was too sensitive earlier.. It's not like he'll want to make fun of us or to make us feel bad on purpose.

"Oppa.."

"What?"

"You're right. You are not saying it enough." I said and I could hear him laugh.

"I'm really proud of you." Yongguk said and I blushed even more.

"Thank you."

"Text me or call me when you'll finish, okay?" he asked.

"Alright." I smiled.

"I miss you."

"I miss you too."

"Hang up first."

"No. You go first."

"I don't want to." Yongguk admitted. I really want to see his face right now.. He is probably pouting like a kid.

"You need to go back to work." I reminded him.

"Fine." he sighed. "But you have to call or text me later."

"I will."

"Bye, babe. Good luck."

"Bye, oppa." I finished the call.

"So sticky.." Sumi said in disgust while looking at me.

"Nobody forced you to listen." I retorted.

"You're noisy. It's hard to miss it."

"Use earphones." I shot back.

"I still don't understand what he is doing with you. He can get any girl he want, so why compromise on a low quality product like you?"

"How does it feel losing to a low quality product like me?" I decided to go along with her insults instead of getting mad because of it. It's not worth it.

"I lost the battle, not the war." she smiled brightly, satisfied from her answer.

"Don't worry, you are going to lose all the battles."

"You are so tiring!" Eun Hee exclaimed. "It's late and we're tired, can't you argue in another day?"

"Sorry.." I apologized quickly.

"Sumi, apologize as well because you started it." Eun Hee scolded her.

"Sorry.." Sumi apologized.

"Girls, we're here." Jinu informed us and stopped the car. Great timing..

"Let's get this thing over with."

 


 

Author's Note:

 

I'm sorry it took me longer to update.. But this chapter is a bit longer :)

I'll try to update faster!

 

There is more Youngjae in this chapter :)

 

As for the MC cut:

- The female MC is Solbin from Laboum. I used her because she is actually hosting the show, but it can basically be anyone.. It doesn't really matter.

- The Stellar reference is for their song "Cry" (Crying). 

 

Two more chapters and we conclude the first week of promotions ^^

The weeks after that will go faster, I promise!

 

Thanks for reading, commenting, subscribing, etc.!

 

M.