FIFTY EIGHT

Until I Met You

LEE JOON: 

 

"How is she??!" I saw doctors and nurses go by me ever so often. Each would say she was not their patient so they didn't know. I was growing impatient but there was nothing I could do. I felt helpless and the worst of it is that I didn't have a choice. All I could do was keep waiting.

It was the worst feeling in the world.

 

"The family of Choi Ha Na?" finally a doctor came out. As soon as I heard her name I ran to him. "How is she doctor? Is she going to be okay?!" 

 

"Who are you?"

 

"Her…" he stopped. What was I? I shook that thought and made up a lie. "I am Lee Joon. Her boyfriend."

 

"Ah, I see. Miss Ha Na is in a very crucial condition. We tried everything we could do, all we could do is wait." 

 

I shook my head, "No…no more waiting! Doctor please tell me!" 

 

"I am sorry.  You have to be patient." 

 

Then it came to me. It wasn't Ha Na that was the only one in danger. "How is…the baby?" 

 

The doctor looked at me strangely. "The baby…is it your's Mr. Lee?" 

Ofcourse he would ask this. He didn't see me show any interest in it until now. Any normal parent would worry about it first, before anything else.

 

"No." my jaw tightened. Even after all that was happening I couldn't bring myself to accept that child. "My girlfriend was . The baby is not mine."

 

"I guess it won't be a hard decision if it were to come down to saving one of them then." the doctor said. 

 

My eyes widened. "Is it that serious?" 

 

The doctor nodded. "I was afraid it would come down to this but I have a feeling it will. I won't ask you now but please prepare yourself." the doctor said and excused himself.

 

 

"it will always be her…" I whispered. However it wasn't sincere. 

Something in me couldn't say it and mean it…

 

"It's not even mine! It's Ji Hoon's…." 

What was even happening to me to consider saving that bastard's baby? 

 

But then again, what fault did he have in all this? It was my fault for putting Ha Na in this situation. Life and Death. 

 

I hated myself. 

 

 

Why did I even think about hurting Ha Na this way? Was my rage and sense of revenge so strong that it blinded me from everything else? From my love for Ha Na? 

She was the only women I came to love. To respect. 

She got to me since the day she lectured me about being arrogant and cold…

She didn't go for my appearance like all the other girls did. She saw something deeper. 

My hurt, my pain. 

Her heart also felt pain…I was someone she wanted to give warmth to. 

 

I didn't value her enough. I didn't love her like she was supposed to be loved. But how could I if I didn't know the first thing about caring for someone? My cold heart began to slowly melt but then he came between us. 

Everything Ha Na had done for me was undone. 

 

I felt betrayed…

 

But it wasn't her fault…

 

She was scared. She was helpless...she was because I wasn't there to protect her.

It wasn't her fault Ji Hoon inpregnated her. 

 

 

So then why did I take it out on her? Why was she on this hospital bed now? 

Because Ha Na was kind. Just for that. 

My Ha Na, had the biggest heart. 

For someone to consider giving birth to a child that was from a traumatic event such as a ….was beyond brave. She would even give up the man she loved with all her heart, which was me. She would marry her to ensure the child would grow up without the troubles she had to go through when she was young. 

She would give up her happiness…

 

 

Why couldn't I see that before? Why was I so blind?! 

I went as far as to try to kill her…the women I loved for jealously. 

 

 

My eyes were tired of crying. But I couldn't stop. My face was soaked. My chest hurt really badly. It was the guilt. 

I should go to jail for this…

yes…

 

"I should turn myself in….i'm a murderer….I should rot in hell….." I whispered.

 

"Joon!" From a distance I heard someone calling for me. They were right in front of me but I refused to turn. "I should go to jail for what I did" I kept repeating. 

 

"Joon!! What are you saying!?" 

 

It was Kim Yoon Jae. 

 

My father…

Why was he here? 

 

"I killed her…I gave the order to kill her…I'm going to turn myself in.." 

 

"Ha Na is not dead, boy! Get your mind straight! She is in critical condition..she could still make it out of this!" Yoon Jae shook me. 

There was someone else with him. I didn't care to look or ask to see who it was. 

 

"It is the same as if she were dead." 

 

"Joon-ah!!" 

 

I stood up harshly. "Only one will make it. The baby or Ha Na. I put her in this situation for the only reason to get rid of the baby. I hate that she was pregnant with Ji Hoon's child! I wanted her all to myself. But honestly, will Ha Na be the same if she looses the baby!? What if she finds out that I was behind all this!? She will hate me for the rest of her life!! 

Ji Hoon won. Ha Na and I, will never be together." 

 

Yoon Jae was silent. 

"I am cursed…nothing will ever be in my favor." 

 

"Mr. Lee?" a nurse came out of Ha Na's room. 

 

"Yes?" 

 

The nurse said, "We are about to operate Miss Ha Na. Han seongsaeng-nim is hopeful that he could save both" 

 

"See Joon-ah…not all hope is lost." Yoon Jae patted my back. I nodded and sat back down. I couldn't speak. 

 

The nurse went back and so the long and dangerous surgery began.