FIFTY TWO

Until I Met You

From outside the room, Rin witnessed everything. She heard everything that was going on in the room. How this man threatened Joon. She couldn’t believe how ruthless he was.

Rin couldn’t take it anymore. She opened the door, ran inside and grabbed Roy’s arm shamlessly. She held it while she cried. 

“Please! Don’t do that to Changsun-ssi!! I beg of you!!” 

Roy looked at the sorrowful girl, surprised. He had no idea who she was. He had never met her before. The way she clung to his arm was so desperate. He didn’t shrug her off, just looked at her curiously. 

“Rin.” Changsun called her name, but she didn’t budge. 

“He isn’t a bad person anymore...please don’t take Leo away from him!” 

“RIN.” Changsun’s voice sounded more stern this time. Rin didn’t take her eyes off of Roy for a minute. Rin's face was drenched in tears. Her mascara had smeared and the black ran down her eyes.

“What do you think your doing right now!?” Changsun yelled. It startled Rin. She could never get use to the way he yelled. 

“Is this girl another one of your victims?” Roy scoffed. Rin shook her head.

“Sir...please…” Rin went a step further and fell to her knees. Ri An and Changsun’s eyes widened in shock. Even Roy was a little thrown a back.

“I’m begging you sir...not only for Changsun-ssi...but for me..” she cried. That startled Roy. Who exactly was this girl? he thought. 

“For you?” Roy raised a brow, confused. 

“I’ve taken care of Leo since he was a baby...I’ve loved him as if he were my own. Don’t take him away from me…please...” her voice cracked.

“Allow me to ask you this. Aside from Leo, what are your ties to this man?” he looked over to Changsun, hatefully. Changsun returned the glare. 

She looked up, shocked at the question. 

“He...he” she thought about it. What exactly was Changsun to her? She knew how he felt about her… “ He..is the person I work for…” 

“Nothing else?” Roy raised a brow. 

She looked over at Changsun. He looked furious, frightening even. Jung Ri An was right next to him. She could never just see the two of them together and be okay. They looked so perfect together…like they were meant to be. Someone like her could never fit into that flawless picture…she thought.

She never wanted to be the reason that picture shattered. 

“Nothing else..” she whispered.

Roy nodded. “Come out and have a word with me.” he said and walked out of the room. 

“Rin…” Changsun grabbed her wrist tightly to keep her from leaving after Roy. “Don’t you dare follow him!” He didn’t care if he was hurting her. He was desperate to keep her from leaving behind Roy. 

Rin winced in pain. “Why not? He wants to ruin your life! I can’t just stand by and do nothing!” 

“Why would you go so far for someone who is just a person you work for?” Changsun looked hurt. Rin glanced at Ri An. She looked uncomfortable. How could she tell Changsun her true feelings about the matter? She knew exactly where she stood in his life. She had come to terms with the fact that he didn’t love her. It was only Ha Na for him. 

He noticed the tension rising in the room so he released her hand from his grasp. 

“I have to go” she said and left. 



 

ROY ZHOU: 

 

“Thank you for coming out to speak with me Miss…?” 

“Rin...my name is Rin.” 

“Miss Rin.” 

She nodded. I observed her for a while. She didn’t seem to be anything like Lee Joon. There was nothing remarkable that stood out about her appearance. She was a plain girl. Black hair, pale skin, dark brown eyes. Even her clothes were plain. She wore a long floral dress with a knit sweater and boots. How she was linked to someone like Lee Joon was beyond me. 

Looking at her a little closer, she didn’t look korean.

“Pardon me, I don’t mean to be rude...but you aren’t korean, am I right?” 

She shook her head. “I’m Japanese.” 

Ah, soo ka.” (I see)- I knew how to speak japanese. As soon as I did she looked surprised. She answered me in japanese and we continued our conversation in that language. 

“You are someone that loves Leo very much, are you not?” 

She nodded with tears forming in her eyes. “I love him as if he were my own child and I miss him very much” 

How nice that she felt that way towards my nephew. They were words I longed to hear from my sister. 

“I know you dislike Changsun but he really is a different person.” she cried.

“I don’t trust words. I even question actions but...I never doubt patterns. Miss Rin...that man is not worthy of your nobility. He is a cruel person.” 

She shook her head. “You’re wrong! He is different! He really loves Leo!” 

“May I ask how long have you known Lee Joon for?” he asked. 

“6 years sir.” 

“So you didn’t witness what he did to my sister.”

She shook her head. “I have only heard stories.” 

“You’ve heard of the horrific acts he preformed and yet you still choose to stand before me and tell me he isn’t a cruel person?” 

“I believe he has changed.” 

“I will not change my mind. He has done far too much damage to my family than I can allow him to continue to do. He is lucky I am not doing more t--” I stopped myself. I had to keep my emotions calm. This is not what I intended to do when I asked this girl to see me. I continued, “Instead of worrying about that...why don’t you listen to what I have to say?” I took a few steps towards her. 

“W-What is that?” she had tears in her eyes.

“I have an offer for you.” 

“An offer?” 

“Correct. Until my sister gets her head on straight...I want you to be there for Leo once more.” 

She looked shocked. 

 

“Wait...w-what?” 

“Don’t you want to see Leo again?”

“Ofcourse I do!” 

“You need to face reality and accept that Leo will never go back to that house ever again. This is the only way you will see him again.”

“I can’t betray Changsun-ssi” 

“You said he was nothing but an...employer. Did I misunderstand?” I raised a brow.

She shook her head. “N-No...he…” 

“Could he be more than an employer? By any chance...is he a lover maybe?” I noticed the look in her eye. It was unmistakeable. She was in love with him. Her face turned red.

“Mmm. Looks like I hit the mark.” 

“Changsun-ssi doesn’t think of me that way! I--” 

“I am not interested in hearing what that man feels or who feels anything towards to. What I am interested in is in you Miss Rin. I want you to work for me.”
“But...why?” 

I chose my words carefully. “For one, you are someone that loves my nephew purely. Second, I can tell that you are a whole-hearted person. You see, I am especially good at reading people. You are someone that I can trust. I want to give you an opportunity to become someone in this world instead of being simply Lee Joon’s maid.” I said bitterly. “I need you to care for Leo and shape him into a respectable person, be there for him as a mother figure, in other words, a governess...”

She didn’t think to respond. “I appreciate those kind words Mr. Zhou. However...more than Changsun-ssi, Kim Yoon Jae is someone I can’t just betray. He is someone that took me in when no one else would. He is like my father” 

“Miss Rin, I am not asking you to server ties with anyone. I want you to simply work for me caring for my dear nephew. I think out of anyone, you are the most capable to do so.” I smiled. I reached into my suit jacket and took out a business card and handed it to her. “Think about it and call me when you make a decision.” 

I bowed and started to walk away. I didn’t hear her walk away so I turned and said, “I look forward to speak with you again, Miss Rin.”