NINE

Until I Met You

CHOI HANA

I woke up early to make breakfast for Mir. Cooking wasn't my one of my strong points at all. 

"What are you...Oh my god! Ha Na are you cooking!?" Mir was shocked to see that I was actually cooking. I never really cooked. We would usually order out or eat instant ramen.

"Yeah...so?" I shrugged. He just laughed and helped me finish cooking. As expected, the food was terrible but Mir didn't say anything bad about it. He knew I worked hard at it and ate every last bit of it. 

When we were done, we heard someone knocking at our door. "I'll get it." I walked over to the door and opened it. Joon's brother was standing there in front of me. 

"Is Mir home?" he asked. In matter of seconds, Mir was right next to me. "Ji Hoon hyung? What are you doing here?" Mir seemed just as surprised as me to see him. 

"Can we talk?" Ji Hoon looked at me and the back at Mir. He wanted me to leave. I looked at Mir and nodded. I looked at Ji Hoon-ssi and bowed to excuse myself. I left to my room but didn't close the door.. 

"Hyung, what is this about?" Mir asked him. Ji Hoon went right to the point. 

"Something happened to Joon." he sounded really upset and continued, "Last night, our house burned down...." 

"What!?" Mir was surpisried at the news. "Don't tell me Joon.." 

"He is alright...but father...he--" Ji Hoon's voice was shaky. "He's dead." 

What!? That can't be...!! I came out of my room and looked at both of them. 

Mir didn't say anything. He just sat there...shocked. 

"Joon is at the hospital..." Ji Hoon managed to say. 

"How is he? Is he okay??" I asked. Ji Hoon looked at me with sad eyes and nodded. "He is not in any danger...he is going to be fine." 

I sighed in relief. I grabbed my jacket and walked to the door. Mir finally snapped back to reality and asked me where I was going. 

"To see Joon." He followed and so did Ji Hoon. His car was parked outside of our house and we all went in his car. 

 

No one said anything on our way to the hospital. When we finally arrived, we got off the car and Mir took a hold of my hand and walked in. I didn't push him off because I knew how hard this was for him. Clearly, Joon was someone important to him, I could tell by the way he was acting ever since we first met him that day. 

"He is in room 309." Ji Hoon told us. I looked at Ji Hoon and asked him, "Aren't you coming with us?" 

His face became serious and it was no longer sad and upset. "No. You guys go in..." 

We did as we were told. Once we had found the room, Mir held my arm tight. He was nervous...

I walked in front of him and took his cheek in my hand. He looked at me and I smiled reassuring him that everything was going to be alright. He smiled back and we both walked into the room. 

Joon was sitting up on the bed, his eyes looking at the t.v. playing but his mind seemed to be somewhere else. His eyes looked cold and sad. 

When Mir let go of my hand he went to stand close to Joon. Joon didn't even look at him...

I stood away from both of them, giving them space. 

"Are you okay?" Mir asked Joon in a sweet and caring voice. Joon finally looked at Mir but he didn't say anything for the longest time. His face was serious. 

Mir looked away and I could tell it hurt him to see his friend in this state. Mir didn't like hosptitals and he especially hated to see people he cared about hurt. I knew that all too well. 

"Do I look okay to you?" Joon spoke. 

"Hyung...I'm sorry about what happened." Mir was being sincere. 

"Sorry? Why is everyone sorry? Do I really look that pitiful? I don't need you're pity." 

"It's not pity! I really do care about you..." 

Joon didn't say anything. When he turned to look at me my heart felt pain. This man had gone through alot. 

I smiled weakley at Joon but he only looked away. 

I noticed that the room was empty. No flowers, no 'get-well-soon' ballons, nothing. Were we the only people that had visited him? I instantly felt bad for not bringing anything. 

Mir was strugguling with this. I walked to him and touched his hand. He looked down at me and I nodded. I knew he wanted to leave so I told him I would stay with Joon. He left the room, so now it was just Joon and me. 

It wasn't until I saw him closer that I realized how broken he was. His arm had a cast. His eyes were swollen, like if he had been crying all night. He was really pale. 

I took a hold of his hand. The one that wasn't in a cast and held it with both of my hands. He didn't push it away...he only looked at me wondering what I was going to do next. 

"You're hand is really cold. I should turn the heat up." I removed my hands from him and when I stood up he grabbed my arm. I froze. 

"It's fine." 

I nodded and sat back down. I didn't know what to do...what to say. Did he want me to be by his side? Why wasn't he being mean to me? 

"I...Is there anything you want?" I asked. He nodded. "What is it?" 

"Stay here with me." his voice sounded sad yet hopeful. My heart was beating really fast. 

He moved his hand to mine that was resting on the bed. He held on to it. Joon then layed his head back and fell asleep. There was no way that this was happeneing. Then it hit me. He was alone...

He was like me when my parents died. Even though he had people that cared about him, he felt alone. 

I looked at his sleeping face. His heart probably ached so much...

How long have you've been suffereing?