FIFTY

Until I Met You

LEE JI HOON

I finally had the test results in my hand. The time had come to find out if Leo was my child. 

I had expirenced what it was like to become a father and the feelings of love it came with to have a child. 

If Leo was mine, would I have those feelings?

My heart was beating so fast. I took the results out of the folder. I must of read it over a thousand times.

It was not a match.

Part of me was devestated. It was like that all along. Ha Na knew it..she was sure of it. She was right.

I sat back on my chair and stared at the results. 

I closed my eyes. As I relaxed my eyes, the phone rang. When I opened them my vision was blurry again. 

I ignored it and picked up the phone. It was So Ra, my secretary.

“Sir, Roy Zhou is here and he wants to see you” she let me know. 

I sighed. “Bring him in” I hung up. 

I reached into my suit pocket and grabbed my eye drops. It helped a little.

I hid the documents in my drawer and locked it. I wasn’t ready to let anyone see them. So Ra opened the door and let herself and Roy in my office. She bowed and excused herself.

“President Lee. Thank you for seeing me on such a short notice” Roy came in. I motioned him to sit in my living space. I took a seat on my chair. 

“It’s always a pleasure.” I smiled, trying to appear normal. I was still shocked from the results. I needed a drink. I could tell Roy noticed how on edge I was.

“Would you like a drink Mr. Zhou?” I asked. 

He shook his head. “I don’t drink this early, thank you.” 

“The first buisness man that I hear such a thing from” I laughed as I stood up to get myself a drink. I poured it and drank it like a shot. I poured another. “So what can I do for you Mr. Zhou?” 

"I have noticed that Vice President Jung has been tending to other buisnesses other than our own."

“Well, yes...sort of. I hope that doesn’t bring up any problems for our buisness.” 

“Actually it does” Roy said. “You see...she was the reason I'm investing all that money in this company” 

I was thrown a back.

“Excuse me?” 

"The fact that she is not involved with our deal makes me very upset."

"May I ask what it is about Jung Ri An that makes you so intruiged in her that you are willing to invest so much money with my company?

“Jung Rian is my family. I have no interest in persuing my buisness with you if she is not all in” 

Family?” 

“Does it surprise you President Lee?” he raised a brow. 

“Y-Yes...I wasn’t aware of that” 

“Our relationship isn’t public...and we choose to be professional with each other at work. But yes, she is my younger sister” 

Sister?! Choi Ha Na had a brother? That brother….being Roy Zhou!?

Roy stood up but Ji Hoon stopped him.

“But Mr. Zhou...the deal is done. You can’t do this to us...do you know what it means to turn back this late? Boosung has invested way too much for this project! We are in no position to be wasting money like this!” 

The corners of Roy's lips curved into a wicked smile. “Alright. I’ll make you a deal.” 

I was desperate. I would of done anything.

“Choi Ha Na. Do you remember her?”

I compeletly froze.

 

 

 

“From your reaction, I take you do. I want you to tell me every detail of what you did to Choi Ha Na.” 

“Mr. Zhou..” 

“Choi Ha Na and Jung Ri An are the same person, but you already knew that. I was not a part of my sisters life back then. I wasn’t there to protect her. I wasn’t even aware of her existence...had I known of the vile and atrocious acts you and your poor excuse of a brother where doing to my sister, I would of ripped your heads off. But all that matters, is the fact that I can do it now.”

For Roy to speak in that way was rare. He was a highly educated and refined man. 

“I-I can’t” Ji Hoon was frozen. Completely caught off guard. “I’ve tried years to forget…” 

Roy chuckled. “You don’t get to forget.”

“I realize that.” Ji Hoon looked down. He was ashamed.

“Let’s start from the begining. How did you meet her?” 

Ji Hoon reluctantly began to tell his side.

“6 years ago. At the time she was working for a sushi delivery service. She delivered sushi on a night that my father had thrown a party for me at our house. There, she met Joon first...then me” 

“You two were famous, rich and from a very prominent family. You could of had anyone you wanted...why Ha Na? Why did you get mixed with her?” Roy questioned. 

“In my world, Ha Na was a rarity. I was never the type of person who messed around with women, she was the first women that I had fallen for. She was so honest, humble...her qualities attracted me and where so foreign. I couldn’t stay away..” 

“So why...why hurt her?” Roy’s eyebrows furrowed in frustration. 

“I know what you’re thinking...and to this day I can’t explain why. Anything that I say will sound like an excuse.” 

“Tell me anyway” 

Ji Hoon nodded. “Did you ever hear about the fire that burnt our house down?"

"Yes. It was all over the news. That resulted into the death of your father...am I correct?"

He nodded. "Shortly after that fire, I felt like I changed. I was always angry...I couldn’t explain why…

My father died in the fire, but something didn’t add up. The door to my father’s office was locked from the outside, and he was inside at the time of the fire. It didn’t make sense. I began to suspect that maybe Joon had something to do with it. He had motive…and just as I thought, he did.” 

Roy’s eyes shot up. “He killed Lee Min Jae?” 

He nodded. “Joon had taken my father away from me”

“So you were going to take something from him...was that it?” Roy began to put 2 and 2 together. 

“No, Roy. It wasn’t that simple. Joon’s heart was tainted with darkness. His greatest sin was killing my father...how did he get to have someone like Ha Na?” Ji Hoon clenched his teeth. “Someone as pure and precious as she was with a monster like Joon? It didn’t make sense. She didn’t know what kind of person he was! How did he get to smile while I had to live with the pain of loosing my father? Ha Na too naive to understand. She was stubborn when it came to Joon.”

“I agree on that part.” Roy closed his eyes. 

“I tried to make her see that he wasn’t the person that she thought he was. I even confessed to her but it was too late, she was already in love with Joon”

“Ha Na’s rejection...was that what made you lash out at her? You’re revenge?”

“I wish I wouldn’t have done what I did to her. I was wrong…” A tear slid from his eye.

Roy’s piercing gaze stared at Ji Hoon. His eyes never left him. He couldn’t tell if he was lying.

“I was the person Joon hated the most in the world. I thought that if I did what I did….Joon wouldn’t want her anymore.” 

Roy clenched his teeth. He couldn’t believe the things he was hearing. “And that was?”

“I...I” Ji Hoon shut his eyes tightly as he blurted out, “I her” 

Roy raised his chin. He was apaulled. What a disgusting man, he thought. He cleared his throat.

“There is one more thing that I need to know. Your engagment to Ha Na. What was that all about?” 

“It is true. We were engaged to be married.” 

Roy scoffed. “How does that even make sense?” 

“A few months after...I found out that Ha Na was pregnant. I had also learned that Joon had abandoned her. I tried to earn her forgiveness and would visit her regularly for months. At first she hated it, but I didn’t give up. After a while, she would expect me. I really thought that she had forgiven me. She had agreed to marry me...and I was going to take responsibility of the child wheter he was mine or not.” Ji Hoon smiled to himself for a breif second then his face changed to a somber one. “It was when I left for a buisness trip that I never saw her again.” 

“Did you ever find out what happened to her?” 

“All I was told, was that she fainted and when she was at the hospital they didn’t make it.” Ji Hoon’s voice cracked. 

“She was tied, gagged and thrown into a warehouse while it was being lit in flames.” 

Ji Hoon’s eyes flew opened. “What are you saying?” 

“It was Lee Joon that did that” 

Ji Hoon put his hand over his mouth.

“Joon is evil. Now do you understand why Ha Na is so consumed with hatred? You can’t even begin to imagine what I think about Lee Joon. He is dispicable! To think that he is living under the same roof of the child he did such horrors to! What a repulsive bastard he is...” 

“Roy...I had no idea. You can imagine what hearing this does to me…” Ji Hoon looked pale.

“Now that I know your side, I think I understand why Ha Na’s hatred is more directed to Joon. What you did is unforgivable, but you admit that you did wrong.”

Ji Hoon's eyes drifted to the ground. He was ashamed, no doubt. Roy looked straight at Ji Hoon. “That DNA test you took...where is it?” he asked.

“How do you know about that?” Ji Hoon was shocked to learn that Roy knew about it.

“Do you think you and Lee Joon can move so far as an inch without me finding out?” Roy smiled. “Where is it?” 

“What are you going to do with it?” 

“Well if you are so intent on knowing, I’ll tell you. I want the child. I will have him at any cost.” 

Ji Hoon’s eyes widened. “What if I want to give Leo back to Ha Na?” 

“Are you by any chance hoping that Ha Na will forgive you if you do? Is that why you ordered the test?” he mocked. 

“So what is your plan?” 

Roy raised his head. “For starters, I need to confirm something. Let me see the test results.” 

Ji Hoon sighed deeply. He didn’t want to show them to anyone but he wanted to help. He grabbed the keys on his desk and unlocked his drawer. He pulled out the document and handed it to Roy. 

Roy took it and looked it over. An unpleasent look overtook his demenor. 

“As you can see, I am not Leo’s father.” 

Roy smirked. “Yes, indeed.” 

“There is no way you will be able to have Leo now.” 

Roy uncrossed his leg and leaned closer to Ji Hoon’s desk. “Has Lee Joon seen these results?” 

Ji Hoon shook his head. 

“I see” Roy smiled. “Have someone forge a new document stating that Leo is your son. I will take care of everything else” 

By take care, Roy was ready to drop large sums of money to keep people quiet.

“Once it’s done send it over to me and to Lee Joon. We will proceed with court shortly after that.” 

“Roy” Ji Hoon said. Roy raised a brow. “What are you reasons for doing this?” 

“Leo is my blood. He belongs with us.” he said.