FOURTY EIGHT

Until I Met You

"Have you heard anything yet Rin?" It was late and Ren had gone to the cafeteria to get coffees for Yoon Jae and I. Yoon Jae was on the phone. People from work, I assumed. With Changsun unavailable, Yoon Jae was going to have to step in. 

Lots was happening in a short amount of time...too fast.

"Not yet" he handed me the coffee.

“Arigatou.” I took it and drank a sip. I was so disconnected to everything I couldn't even taste the coffee.

We all sat in silence, thinking about what was going to happen next.

 

We had no idea what was happening to Changsun. Was he going to be okay? Images rushed in of the last time I saw him. He looked so lifeless. His eyes were opened but they reflected nothing but emptiness. It was all so terrifying. 

I started to feel tightness in my chest. The more I thought about him, I felt like I couldn’t breathe.

"Excuse me Ren but I need to get some fresh air" 

I felt lightheaded. Ren stood up and offered to go with me but I said I was fine.

 

I was able to make it to the rooftop floor. I was gasping for air. 

I held onto my chest and breathed out,“Wh..what is ha..happen--ing....” 

 

____________

 

She felt every part of her body trembling, shaking. Rin had no idea what was happening to her. She was breathing hard. 

She cried harder and harder. She couldn’t stop. She felt her heart rate rise with every passing second. 

She held on to the rails trying desperatly not to fall to the ground. “RIN!” Ren followed her all the way up to the roof.

He ran over to her and grabbed her arm to pull her up. She was panting hard. 

“Dammit Rin…” he carried her ‘bridal style’ and brought her back down to the waiting room. He was yelling for someone to come help him. Rin was still panting and crying. 

“Ren! What’s wrong with Rin!?” Yoon Jae along with nurses came to Rin’s aid. They told him to follow them to a room and he set her down on a bed. 


 

“Are you her family?” The doctor came out after 10 minutes of being in the room with Rin. 

“Yes. I am her father. How is she?” Yoon Jae stood up at the sight of him. 

“Your daughther is fine. Earlier, she was having a panic attack.” the doctor told Yoon Jae and Ren. 

“A what?” Ren asked. 

“A panic attack. It is a sudden episode of intense fear that triggers severe physical reactions when there is no real danger.”

“She has never had such a thing happen to her” Yoon Jae said.

“It can be a one-time occurrence, although many people expirence repeat episodes.”

“So you’re saying it can happen again?” Ren said.

“Recurrent panic attacks are often triggered by a specific situation. Do have any idea what your daughter was doing prior to her having the attack?” 

“She was here, with us.” 

“She was at the hospital? Is someone else from your family here?” 

“Yes, my oldest son. Kim Changsun.” 

“She is close with him. Him being in the hospital is very stressful for her.” Ren said. The doctor nodded. 

“I see. Well she is doing better now if you would like, you are welcomed to go see her.” the doctor said and left. 
“Thank goodness.” Yoon Jae sat back down, relived. 

“Father, I am going to go see Rin first.” Ren said and his father nodded. 


 

REN 

 

I opened the door to Rin’s room slowly. I thought she would be asleep but she was awake, looking out the window.

Her hair was loosely tied up and her skin was pale. Her eyes appeared to be tired and sleepy.

“Rin” 

She looked over at me and smiled weakly. 

“How are you feeling?” 

“I’m better.” 

I grabbed the stool and sat by her bed. I took her hand in mine. She blushed at my sudden action. I didn’t let go of it. She was so cold.

“That....was really scary. I had never seen something like that in my life.” I said as I moved the blanket and brought it up to cover her up more. 

“Thank you for saving me” Rin blushed. 

“That was hardly what I did. I’m glad you are okay now.” She smiled. We stayed quiet for a while.

“Rin...can I ask you something?” I finally said looking at her. She nodded. “What is it, Ren?” 

“Do you really worry about my hyung that much?” 

“What do you mean?”

“The doctor said you had a panic attack." I explained to her a little of what it was and continued, "Did you think he was never going to wake up? Were you so scared to loose him?” 

She looked down to her hands. “I was.” she said. 

“Soo Ka. (I see- japanese)” 

“You have grown very close to him haven’t you?” 

Rin smiled widely. 

“I don’t know how to describe it, but when I’m with Changsun I feel whole. When he smiles warmly at me, I feel his arms wrapping around me making me feel safe and at home. There isn’t a thing I wouldn’t do to keep him safe”

“So you’re in love with him” I said. She quickly looked up and shook her head embarrassed. 

“No! I only care--” 

“Rin...everything you just said...only a person that’s in love would express something like that” I smiled. “It’s okay to admit it. You love him” 

She looked down, still blushing. “I....am in love with him..” 

Rin wasn't the type to go around sharing her feelings with everyone. As far as I knew, I was the first person she had ever told she was in love with Joon. 

“Yahh...no need to be all embarrassed. When you love someone you have to be brave and say it with confidence.” 

“That’s just it though...I don’t have confidence. How could I if he is in love with someone else?” she said sadly. I felt my body tense up when she mentioned her“He made it clear to me time and time again. He only loves her.” she began to tear up. 

I sighed in frustration. That women had come into our lives just to ruin everything.

She was the reason why my brother was in the hospital.

She was the reason Rin was hurting..

She was the reason Leo was no longer with us.

What else was she going to do?

“Are you just going to allow her to take him away from you!?” I spoke without thinking. It had startled Rin. I closed my eyes and sighed.

“Sorry..I didn’t mean to scare you. It’s just...she is…” I stood up and tried to keep myself under control. 

"Ren..." she whispered. 

“Ren. Come out for a minute.” father had come into the room. 

 

 

 

_____________________________________