FOURTY SIX

Until I Met You

JUNG RIAN 

I stayed at work until the early morning hours. I kept thinking about Roy Zhou. 

I even called Yi Ryeong and she had confirmed everything. Roy was our 'brother'. 

I heard a knock on my door. “Come in” 

Min Woo came through the door. “What are you still doing here?” He came over to me and sat on my desk. He noticed i was drinking and sighed deeply. “You never texted me back and now you’re drinking..”

“I don’t want to talk about it” I said sinking into my chair. My hair was messy and I had taken my shoes off. 

“Wae??” He was curious.

“Horrible...worst news anyone can get” I closed my eyes.
“Does this have to do with the meeting with Roy Zhou?”

I sat up and let out a loud sigh. “Yeah” 

“What about it??” he asked me. "Does he want to work with Boosung?"

I nodded and took another sip of my drink. I laughed. "Oh yeah"

"I don't understand, so what's so bad about that?"

“Roy Zhou wants to send his piano prodigy to us” I mocked.

“Why? Why would he want to do that? If that was the case, why would he meet with you instead of Ji Hoon?” 

“Roy Zhou…he presented me with this today” I took the DNA papers out and handed them to Min Woo.

His eyes widenend. Shocked was an understatement.

He’s related to you? How?” he asked. 

“He showed me DNA results and even Yi Ryeong comfirmed it...it’s all true. Roy wants to 'take care' of us and that is how he wants to do it. He knows about the money we take from Yi Ryeong and he’s threatening me to accept or he will expose everything.” 

“Yi Ryeong knew?” 

I shook my head. “She just found out yesterday…”

“This is crazy…” 

“I know...I want to do this a different way but I don’t know where to begin. If everyone finds about about the money we are done for.” I poured myself a drink and half chugged it. 

Min Woo grabbed my drink and set it on the table. “Drinking won’t solve anything.” 

“I am not trying to solve it. What is there to solve?! Roy has given me no choice...we need to side with him this time oppa…” 

“That means accepting him as your brother...not to mention accepting his help.” Min Woo said. I sighed. 

“I never said I would accept him as my brother.” I said. I was not ready to think of him as such. It was much of a shock to find out Yi Ryeong was my sister. What else were my parents hiding? Where they even my parents?

 


 

              

The next day:

Rian walked in the office and Roy was waiting for her and Ji Hoon in the meeting room. He was early and it annoyed Rian. 

She went in the meeting room and Roy was sitting with his associates and what she believed was his pianist. 

“Good morning, I see that I’m late.” 

“We are just early.” Roy said with a smiled. Rian disregarded the smile and sat down. “Vice President Jung, this is Jackson Wang.” 

Jackson was a young kid. “I hope you are everything Mr. Zhou made you out to be” 

At that moment Lee Ji Hoon walked in. Roy’s glare was fixed on Ji Hoon. Rian took notice of this. She saw how his eyes never left Ji Hoon. 

“Mr. Zhou, I’m Lee Ji Hoon. Nice to meet you” he bowed.

“A pleasure President Lee” Roy bowed.

“Ms. Jung briefed me about your generous buisness proposal. I am beyond humbled that you wish to make such a deal with us.” Ji Hoon told Roy’s team. Roy smiled. “No, it is I who is honored.” he glanced at Jung Rian. “I know of your impressive musical career Mr. Lee. Our goal is to make Jackson bigger than what you use to be. I know he is in good hands here.” 

“Well…” Jung Rian interruped. All eyes where on her. “That’s quite a gamble. Lee Ji Hoon was the best pianist Asia has had in years. He won’t be surpassed by just anyone” she glanced at Jackson. Roy smirked. 

“I agree. Allow him to play for you” he suggested. 

Rian raised a brow. “If you have any doubts, I’ll take my money elsewhere” he challenged her.

“No need for that Mr. Zhou” Ji Hoon laughed nervously. 

“Deal” Rian ignored Ji Hoon. “Vice President Jung” Ji Hoon was in disbelief. 

 

 

JUNG RIAN 

Jackson was set to play in an hour. Ji Hoon stormed into my office. “How could you do that Ha Na? Do you even realize how rude you were to Mr. Zhou?” 

 “There is no way I will allow Roy Zhou to work with us.” 

“What?” he was really confused. He shook his head. “Look, you might have power in this company but don’t forget I am the President. It will be my decision.” 

“I don’t trust him Ji Hoon-ssi” I finally said. 

“Yeah well that’s not your call to make. It’s mine” Ji Hoon said. "The company is in danger. This is bigger than you and me"

I raised a brow. He left as soon as he said what he needed to say. I crushed the paper that was in my hand. 

It was time to go to the auditorium. I grabbed my blazer and made my way out. 

 

 

 

They sat quietly as Jackson played. Rian closed her eyes as he played. 

He was talented alright. Anyone would be a fool to let him go. 

“Impressive” Lee Ji Hoon was the first to stand up and clap. Roy smirked. Jackson bowed.

 

Rian was the first to leave the auditorium. Roy caught up to her and stopped her. 

They were alone. 

“What did you think sister?” 

Rian felt her skin crawl. Sister? Who did he think he was?!

She turned around with a scary look in her eye. “You might have alot of money, power, a piano prodigy under you...but you will never have me. Don’t ever refer to me as your sister. Just hearing that makes my skin crawl” 

Roy’s eyes saddened. He tried his best to hide it. He walked closer to her. He took her arms in his hands. Her red teary eyes looked up at him. 

“You have expirienced great hurt, you trust no one. I can’t blame you for your harsh words...I just hope one day you will realize that I mean you no harm…” 
“Where were you when I was being hurt? When I was being tortured? When I tried to end my life...where were you?” 

Roy’s eyes were red and watery. 

“Please Rian...I had no control over that. I am here now” 

She shook her head. “Well see that's the thing...I don’t need you now.” 

At that moment, Min Woo walked up and interrupted the moment. 

“Vice President Jung..may I have a word?” Min Woo came up to Rian and took her away. Roy watched as this stranger took his loving sister away. 

 

“Thanks Oppa” Rian whispered to Min Woo. He nodded and got her out of that place. 



JUNG RIAN 

I decided to take the afternoon off and Min Woo took me home. There was a pleasant surprise waiting for me at home. 

“What’s with all the flowers?” 

He smiled and said “I thought girls liked flowers” 

I laughed. “Girls?” 

“You’re not?” Min Woo raised a brow. I was just shocked that he did this for me. 

I went to wash up and when I came downstairs Min Woo was brewing tea for me in the kitchen. I sat waiting for it in the kitchen island while I looked at Min Woo. I'd be lost with out him...

"Here" he handed me my cup. I brought it up to my mouth and smelled it. "Lavender" I smiled. 

"I figured you needed to calm your nerves" he sat next to me. "After what happened today.."

"Thank you Oppa"

He looked pleased.

I kept drinking my tea not really talking. The whole thing about Roy Zhou was just too crazy. I couldn't bring myself to believe it was real. It was still bugging me. 

"Anything on your mind?" Min Woo noticed how deep in thought I was. I shrugged. 

"You know you are my confidant. But I can't even sum up the words to begin to explain everything that's bothering me." 

"Is it about Roy?"

I grunted. "That would be a huge part of it" 

"Hm" he continued. "What about him makes you not want to accept him?"  

"Min Woo....if i would of known of his exsistance before, would everything that happened to me....would anything have changed?" she began to tear up. "If Roy was in my life back then, I would of never met Lee Joon and I would of been happy...I wouldn't have had to suffer like I have. I hate to admit it...but it's true.." 

Min Woo listened carefully. 

"I would of never gotten pregnant...I would of never been ...I--" she broken down completly. 

Min Woo set his cup on the table and held Ha Na close to him in a hug. He rested his cheek on her head. She cried and cried. "Ha Na-yah...it would be nice if there was people that could prevent our suffering like that. However...that is not the case all the time. Maybe your life would of turned out different...but, don't believe that Roy Zhou would of saved you completely."  

"What do you mean?" 

"Don't hate him too much. He is your brother after all. The important thing is that he is here now." he smiled.