FOURTY EIGHT

Until I Met You

 

 

KIM CHANGSUN 

 

 

  After last night, I didn't want to get up from bed. I never thought it was going to end as it did.

“Where is my tie?” I was on edge and what was worst, I couldn’t find any of my clothes. I threw clothes around everywhere until I found it. I looked at the time.

“, I’m so late!” I didn’t bother with tying it, I just threw it over my shoulders and went downstairs. 

My family was all having breakfast, along with Ren’s annoying friends that were visiting from Japan. 

“Changsun-ah...I need to have a word with you” My father caught me before I left. I grunted. “Father, I really need to be at the company now...there is alot of stuff I need to tend to...I need to leave” 

“Wait son..” he grabbed my shoulder. He looked lost in thought. He came closer to me and said in a low voice, “It's important...” I saw the look in his eye. He looked nervous. It made me curious. It wasn't very often that father looked this worried. 

“Come into my office...I need to show you something..” 

I nodded and followed. 

Once in his office he grabbed a folder and handed it to me. I took it but didn’t open it. 

“What is this?” I asked him. 

“Just open it and you’ll see” 

I did. Never in my wildest dreams did I think I would be looking at something like that.

“A warrent?” I was shocked. “For Leo’s DNA…” I closed my eyes. I wavied the documents in the air. I slammed the sheets of paper on father's desk. I was beyond pissed. 

"I was served with this early in the morning." Father said. "Nobody other than you and I know."

"I saw her last night, Ha Na. She was mad...She mentioned something about taking him away from me. I didn't think she was going to carry on with her threat, not this quick at least"

“That’s just it. They weren’t ordered by her…” he sighed. My eyes widened. 

“What?!?” I raised a brow. If not her...

“They were ordered by Lee Ji Hoon.” 

 

Ji Hoon!?

But how...? He still felt like Leo was his?

I never felt this type of rage.

Why would he?

How dare he!?

Did he really think that Leo could be his son?

Why now? Why decide to do this now of all times?

Did Ha Na ask him to do it?

I drove to Boosung with a million questions and thoughts going through my head. I couldn't go into work. Father was going to fufill my absence. I had to figure out what was going on. 

Once at the company, my only focus was to find Ji Hoon and confront him. As I walked into Boosung, my phone went off. It was Keiko. 

"What?"

"Changsun-ah...the police is here! They are saying something about them having a warrent to take Leo's DNA! What is this about!?"

I dropped my phone. 

I felt lightheaded.

Why was I so insecure about it? 

Did I think there was a chance Leo could be Ji Hoon's? 

"Joon?" I heard someone call out for me. 

I raised my gaze and there he was...standing right before me. My jaw tightened. Just the sight of him pissed me off.

My hands formed fists. 

Bastard. How dare you...

I lunged at him and grabbed his shirt. I tighthened my grip. 

I punched him as hard as I could. He fell to the floor. His nose was bleeding.

"President Lee!!" the receptionists rushed over to him. 

"What the hell has gotten into you!?" Ji Hoon said as he tried to stand up.

"You! How dare you Ji Hoon...how dare you bring my son into this...this is between us! Don't be a coward and attack me with my own kid!" 

Ji Hoon laughed. "Don't make me laugh...Leo isn't your kid." 

"Ill make you take that back you ing bastard!!" I went down to where he was and punched him again and again. I was fully aware I was making a scene. I didn't care. I felt rage and I couldn't think of anything else but hurt Ji Hoon. I wanted him to feel the same pain that I was feeling in my heart. 

He pushed me off. He was trying to catch his breath. "If you are so sure he is yours...why are you behaving like this? You are obviously insecure about him being your son..."

"Shut up!!" 

"I guess we will finally know...after the results come back we will find out who he truely belongs to. Just know that if he is mine...you will never see him again." 

"I'll kill you!! If you ever take him from me I'll swear I WILL KILL YOU!" I yelled.

I felt a strong tug behind me. I turned around and saw three police officers. 

_________________________________________________

 

The police officers escorted Lee Joon to the station and threw him into the cell. He was too out of control. 

"Mr. Kim Changsun. Correct?" a detective questioned me. 

"Let me out of here.." he held onto the bars and shook them violently. 

"Not after you threatened to kill President Lee. That is a crime. We will keep you here until we sort everything out" 

"I need to get back to my son! Jebal!" 

The detective ignored him and went back to his desk. 

Joon slid against the bars until he was sitting on the floor. He leaned his head on the wall and cried. 

The pain in his chest was too much. Just thinking about loosing his son to his brother whom he hated, was unimaginable.

 

 

Hours later, Joon's father came into the station with Keiko to pick him up. 

"President Lee decided not to press charges. We see you have a pending DNA swab we need to do before you leave. After that you are free to go" the detective opened up the cell. Keiko ran to his aid. She helped him get up. 

"Joon...daijobu? (are you  okay- japanese)" she worried. 

Joon simply nodded.

After the test Yoon Jae and Keiko walked him to the car. He didn't say anything the whole way home. Yoon Jae didn't know what to say, but he knew well enough that nothing was better. Keiko sat in the back with him, holding him close.

 

Later that day...

Keiko was in the kitchen making food for Joon. She was lost in thought when she heard someone come in. It was Ren's friend, Keun Suk. 

"Yo" he raised his hand as he greeted Keiko. 

Keiko nodded and didn't say anything.

"What's up? You look upset" 

"No..I'm just worried...Joon got sick and he refuses to eat anything.." she said. Keun Suk laughed. "What a wimp" 

Keiko glared at him. "What did you say?" 

"I'm just saying the truth...he always seems to be the center of attention. Has everyone worried about him all the time." he scoffed. Keiko turned the faucet on and took water in her hand and threw it at him. 

"YAH! What the hell!?" Keun Suk covered himself. 

"That's what you get for talking crap about my brother!" Keiko yelled. 

"I am just saying the truth!" 

Ren and Rin came in the kitchen. Ren busted out laughing. 

"What's so funny?!" Keun Suk glared at Ren. 

"So you finally made a move on my sister huh?" Ren laughed.

"Ew. I don't date any guys that are friends with my brothers." Keiko poured the porridge in a bowl and prepared some tea. 

Keun Suk looked hurt. He was pissed at Ren for putting him on the spot like that. Ren just shrugged. 

"What are you doing Keiko?" Rin tried to make the ambient less awkward and went over to Keiko. "Im making food for Joon." 

Keun Suk grabbed Ren and took him outside. 

"What the hell was that?" Keun Suk was embaressed. "Why did you tell her that!?"

"Dude...I had to say something. Don't you know Jin likes her too?" 

Keun Suk was shocked. "That! Aishhh...seriously!?" 

Ren was having too much fun with that.

 

 

________________

KIM CHANGSUN

"Joon?" I heard a knock that woke me up. It was Keiko.

"Yeah?" I sat up carefully to not wake Leo up. I hadn't left his side since I got back home. 

"Hey," she brought a tray. She sat on my bed. "I brought you food" 

"What is it?" I asked curiously. I had to admit, I was a bit hungry. 

"Porridge." 

Keiko spoon fed me. I felt a little embaressed. My noona feeding me like this...I was not use to it.

"That's ing gross" I said as I forced it down. Keiko just laughed. I smirked. 

"Any news about Leo's test?" I asked looking at my son. Keiko shook her head. "None so far"

"I don't know what I'm going to do if it comes back say--" Keiko stuck another spoonful in my mouth. 

"Don't think about that Joon-ah. You should be confident that Leo is your son. Choi Ha Na was sure that you were his father."

I chewed my food. She was right. 

"Okay?" Keiko kissed my forehead. She smiled.

I nodded.

She was so much like mother. I found comfort in her. So kind, patient...loving.

"Thanks noona" I thanked her.

She patted my hair. "Isn't this what older sisters do? It's my job to look after you Joon. It's what mom would of wanted...to see us getting along like this"

"Do you miss her?" I asked. "Even though you never met her...do you resent her for giving you away?" 

She shook her head. "I don't resent her. I knew she did it for my own good..."

"How so?"

"I look at the way you grew up...how that household made you turn into a cold person. I often wonder if I would of turned out the same living there. When I think about that...I understand why mother did what she did" 

"Why do you think she didn't do that with me?" 

"I think...she just didn't want to be lonely anymore" Keiko took my hand. 

"Lonely?" 

"Mother was a sad person...father said she was always being humiliated by Lee Min Jae, and he had no intention of letting her go. He abused her for years...until she couldn't handle it anymore. Father says the last few years where her happiest because she got to spend them with you" 

"Keiko...I am no different than Lee Min Jae...I think that, I resemble him more than Ji Hoon and he wasn't even my father" 

"In what way?" 

"I made Ha Na suffer...I did horrible things to her." 

Keiko listened. She didn't interrupt me at all. I vented to her. I told her everything. 

"She told me she is never going to forgive me. She swore that she was going to take Leo and he too was going to hate me as much as she does." I sat back on the headboard and rested my head on it. I closed my eyes. 

"I just don't know what else to do to. I've tried to be honest with her...it's almost like when I try to be completly truthful with her she hates me that much more. But what bothers me the most is," I sighed. "She forgave Ji Hoon. Why?"

"Joon-ah..." Keiko caressed my face, wiping my tears from my cheeks. 
"I still love her so much...I can't stand it." 

Keiko moved closer to me and hugged me. I cried. "What do I do noona? I don't want to hurt her anymore" 

"I think she knows that but she can't get past the hurt she went through. Choi Ha Na has gone through hell, and although it may seem like she forgave Ji Hoon, I don't believe she truley has. She knows that is the way to hurt you...and she wants you to hurt" 

"I feel like I'm dying"

"That's probably not enough for her. She wants you to feel worst than that." 

"Worst than that? What could possibly be worst than dying?" 

Keiko smiled. "Living alone is worst than death." 

I gasped. 

"Ha Na is completely and utterly alone. That feeling...is far worst than death."

"Noona...she isn't alone. She has that Min Woo guy...appearantly Ji Hoon too. She just reconnected with her rich sister" 

Keiko smiled. "I believe she is lonely in her heart" 

"In her heart?" Keiko was confusing me.

"Yah...must I explain everything to you? Think about it Joon-ah. She doesn't have her baby. I'm not a mother but, I couldn't possibly begin to imagine the pain of not having my child." 

"He isn't dead though...he--" I thought about what I told her the other night. I suddenly felt worst.

Leo flipped over and woke up. Keiko and I stopped talking when we noticed he opened his eyes. 

"Leo-kun, you're awake!" Keiko hugged Leo like if he were a baby. She held him as he grunted and rubbed his eyes. Leo was always grumpy everytime he woke up, just like Ha Na.

"Imo...." Leo complained and tried to wiggle himself out of Keiko's hold. Keiko only held him tighter. She tickled Leo and his laughter filled the room.