FIFTY ONE

Until I Met You

KIM CHANGSUN

What Rin had done pissed me off, but I had no energy to yell or be angry. As far as I knew, all she did was call her. 

“I doubt she’ll even show up.” I whispered to myself. I was exhausted but I couldn’t sleep. The thought of Ha Na actually showing up kept me up. I was too nervous. 

I sat up and poured myself water. 

Just because I was unconscious for a few days didn’t make all the that was going on disapear. It was all there…

“I could really use a cigarette…” I sighed and ran my hand through my hair. 

I missed Leo so much. Not having him with me was drving me to the edge.

 

“Changsun?” I heard a soft knock on the door. Was it her? Ha Na? I almost choked on my own saliva. 

“Are you okay?” Rin came in through the door. I took a big gulp from my water and hit my chest. 

“Y-yeah..” I coughed. “You just startled me...I didn’t think you where still here…” 

“I told Yoon Jae-san and the others I could stay overnight.” 

“Oh...I see” I was still annoyed at her so I didn’t say much. 

“Miss Jung is here to see you.” 

My eyes widened. She what!? She actually came?
When Rin opened the door she walked in. 


 

A few moment before: 

 

“He was non responsive. The doctor doesn’t know what happened so he wants to keep a close eye on Changsun-ssi for a few more days.” Rin told Jung Ri An. 

After Rin briefed Ri An about Changsun, Ri An said, “I was surprised you called me, Rin.” 

“You are a special person to Changsun…” she said as they walked towards Changsun’s room. “...and you are Leo’s mother. I did what any person would do.” 

“Thank you for that” she said. 

Rin nodded.

“I am...I--” Ri An didn’t know where to begin. Rin knew exactly what she wanted to ask her but was so hesitant to.

“I was taking a shower earlier so I didn’t hear him come in. When I got out, I found him in my room sitting on my bed, lost in thought. He didn’t even hear me come in. It had been a few days since I had seen him. He looked thin and pale…” she sighed. “I instantly worried. We said some words to each other and then I told him to lie down and rest. Then he just…” tears began to form in her eyes. “his eyes stopped blinking….his body froze. He didn’t respond to me anymore. I thought….I thought...he..” she cried harder. Ri An’s hand moved on it’s own. She grabbed Rin’s. Rin gasped. 

Ri An couldn’t say anything. She was completely speechless. 

“Miss Jung?” Rin was confused as to why Ri An was holding her hand. 

“Sorry.” she removed it and apologized. 


__________________________

There was a moment about it all that seemed so unreal. The person walking through the door, I wasn't sure if it was Jung Ri An or Choi Ha Na. Which of the two cared enough to see me at a place like this? 

“Excuse me..” Rin bowed and excused herself.

 

When it was just the two of us, Ha Na was the first to speak. 

“Are you better now?” she said. 

“I am.” I nodded. She was still standing in front of my bed. “Why don’t you sit down?” I suggested and she did. 

“How are you doing?” I decided to break the silence. 

“I’ve seen better days..” she said. I looked at her. Really looked at her. She was thinner than the last time I saw her. Her dark circles were more noticeable. Her eyes expressed nothing but anguish. Ha Na was completely heartbroken and there was no way she could hide it.

Was this the girl I met years ago? 

“We both have..” 

She sat lost in thought, not a word came out of her. She looked in worst shape than I did. 

My poor Ha Na...

 

“Joon...you have to do a paternity test.” she finally spoke. They were not words I was expecting to hear at all.

She was asking me to do this?!

“Why?” 

“I don’t know of another way to get our son back…” 

“Ha--” Just when I was about to object she raised her voice. 

IT'S KILLING ME JOON! I CAN’T SEE THE END OF THIS UNLESS WE FIGHT BACK! ROY IS NOT GOING TO BACK DOWN AND I’M TIRED….I'M SO TIRED OF FIGHTHING...BY MYSELF” she cried. She had been holding her tears for a very long time. 

I pulled the cover off me and got off the bed. I kneeled in front of her and took her hands. She kept crying, hard. 

“I’ll do it. I am confident he is mine. Do you know why?” 

“Why?

“He moved at the sound of my voice when he was still in your belly. Do you remember?” 

Her eyes widened. 

 

Flashback:

HA NA POV: 

Joon grabbed my arm and led me outside of the building. Once we where outside he got a better look of me. The street lights exposed my stomach. Joon's jaw tightened. "Why are you here?" 

 

"I…I saw you so I followed you.." I didn't know what else to say. I wasn't going to lie.

"Wae?"

 

"Bwoh?" 

 

"You came to my house and told me you never wanted to see me. Not only did you decide to keep the baby but you are with Ji Hoon now? Let me ask you again, why are you here?" 

 

I didn't know the answer to that. 

"I don't know, my body just acted on it's own…" it was stupid of me to say this but it was the truth. Leo wanted me to follow Joon. 

 

Joon stayed serious. "I didn't know you where this type of women Ha Na. You continue to play with my feelings." 

 

I shook my head. "Aniya~ I never wanted this to happen!"

 

"So then why do you always allow it to happen!? You don't want to hurt anyone…that's your problem! Because of that LOOK AT YOURSELF! You are going to live with the child of the person that you! It doesn't make any sense to me Ha Na…

You also want to be with him!? The man that broke us a-part?" his voice cracked. But he didn't stop, "Your !?! Have you lost your mind??"

 

"I'm not expecting you to understand my reasons…"

 

"Fine. Live happily with him…and leave me alone."

 

I looked up at him in shock. I didn't expect him to say such hurtful words. I reached out to him but he moved away.

 

"I'll say this to you now Ha Na. So get it through your head. My only goal in life is to destroy Ji Hoon. I haven't forgotten about it…I will do it. Maybe not now, or in a year, but it will happen. I am warning you…if you are on his side, you too will be destroyed." 

 

"You'd go that far? Even ruin your own child's life?" I cried.

Joon's expression changed dramatically. His eyes became hard as stone. He grabbed both my wrists and was about to slam me on the wall but he suddenly stopped himself. "Don't call that thing my child." he hissed.

 

"Thing? Why are you like this Joon?? He is yours!" I yelled.

 

"What proof do you have??!" he yelled back at me.

 

 "It's crazy and you won't believe me but he brought me to you today! Leo knows you are his father! He loves you even though you hate him!!" 

 

Joon's grip tightened. "What kind of nonsense are you talking about? Leo?" he laughed. "I see you are still the same childish girl you've always been. Is this some sort of sick attempt for me to accept that kid?" Joon released one of my hands and traced my chin with his hand. He grabbed my chin harshly and moved it so I was looking right into his eyes. "I hate him. I will never love him. In case you haven't noticed I can't love anyone…I will never love anyone. Not after what you did to me." he furrowed his eyebrows. His look was cold. "I didn't think it was possible but," he continued, "I'm starting to hate you more than Lee Ji Hoon."

 

He didn't know how much his words were hurting me. Joon could kill me with harshness. 

Even my poor Leo could understand the coldness of his father. I felt a sharp pain come from my stomach. I yelled in pain. "AHhH!" 

-END OF FLASHBACK-

 

“As much as it pains me to remember that time...I was never able to move on from what I said to  you that day."

"You didn't even flinch...you were so quick to reject him"

"Back then, the thought of him repulsed me...I didn’t want him. I cursed at him for ruining us. You were the person I always wanted...what I always needed and he came between us. Now...I can’t imagine not having him in my life. I took him away from you Ha Na...those precious years, that’s the greatest sin of my life. Because of my stubbornness, you are suffering. I can’t do that to you anymore…” 

Ha Na stayed quiet and still, just listening to me.

"I can't allow you to continue to suffer because of me" 

"That's enough." someone came into the room. It was none other than Roy Zhou. 

"Roy?" Ha Na stood up, surprised to see him. 

"How long are you going to continue to deceive my naive little sister?" 

"Stay out of this" I glared at him.

He scoffed. "Do you really think that you can just decide you are that child's father?" he walked towards me and laughed.

he continued, "Lee Ji Hoon took a DNA test. He is Leo's biological father." 

My hands formed fists. "Were is my son?" 

"Are you deaf? Did you not hear a word I said?" 

"You are the deaf one. You will give me my son or else" 

"Or else? Mr. Lee you are hardly in any position to threaten me. Do you not know who I am?" he smiled. 

"Roy...come see me outside"

Roy ignored Ha Na's request. 

"I will take a DNA test and prove to everyone once in for all that I am his father."
"Will you now?" he looked amused.

"I will send you to prison for fabricating lies and kidnapping my son!" I hissed.

"The only one that will end up in prison if you choose to go that route," he looked at me dead in my eyes and said, "is you" 

I scoffed. 

"What are you talking about Roy!?" Ha Na asked.

"Are you sure you want to expose your true identity Mr. Lee? Because that will happen if you so choose to do a DNA test. You will be found of fabricating your own murder, which ofcourse will hurt not only you but your father as well. You will be found guilty of assulting your brother and I believe there is also the fact that you killed you late step-father..." he smiled. "Ah...and don't get me started with consipiring to kill an unborn fetus. You see," he put his hand on my shoulder. My body was absolutey frozen. "You will absolutely loose more than you will gain. Are you ready for that?" 

"ROY!!" Ha Na cried. 

"My dearest Ha Na...I am only doing this to protect you from this criminal. Leo will never be associated with this low life." 

Ha Na fell to her knees.