Surprise, Surprise

Downing Today, Drowning Tomorrow

'Kwang Soo-ah, I don't feel so good,' says Song Ji Hyo whom has supressing the urge to throw up for thirty minutes now. She tries to shake Kwang Soo who was sleeping. Okay, I can't hold it in anymore, she runs to the bathroom, with or without Kwang Soo. She pushes her hair back, lifts the lid to the toilet seat and throws her inside out. She tried the hardest not to sound too grotesque, but she can't even focus on that. It happens in convulsions, one, two, three, she counted, then she's back, vomiting into the toilet bowl again. 

Alright, I'm okay, she says to herself. She sits on the side of the bathroom. Kwang Soo comes, rubbing his eyes. It was four in the morning. 

'What's wrong, noona?' He asks. He squats down in front of her. 'Did you get food poisoning?' He asked her. She shakes her head. 

'I don't know. Did I eat something bad or something? Whatever I've eaten, you've eaten too so why aren't you sick too?' She abruptly reaches for the toilet bowl again, pouring out everything into it. He holds her hair back, and runs his hand over her back in a repetitive motion. It's something that he's willing to do, as if this was the first time he's done it. Noona has always been the most hardcore drinker that he knows. 

'Noona, have you been drinking?' He asks her. 

'I haven't had the time, Kwang Soo-ah.' She says. He hands her a small hand towel next to him. She wipes her lips, she must look less desirable now, she thought 'I feel lightheaded.' 

'We should go to the clinic or something.' He says. 'Can you stand up?' She was as white as a ghost, the paleness of her face made her dark circles become much more prominent. 

She tries too, but she stumbles when she does. He picks her up. 'Do you feel like throwing up again?' He asked her. She merely shakes her head. He helps her get dressed, handing her her clothes so she could get dressed. Lazily, she does. She felt like everything was spinning, like she was drunk. Uh, this , she says to herself. He asked her to get on his back. She does, she complained that he was too tall for her, that everything feels so high when she's on him. He ignores her, got his keys and aimed for the door after putting on shoes. 

They got to the nearest 24-hour clinic. They had to wait a while since the doctor's on break. They made multiple trips to the bathroom, and Kwang Soo had to stop at the edge of the road since she needed to vomit again. Waiting seemed agony, she leaned on his shoulder but he took her in so she could rest on his chest. She closed her eyes, what the is wrong with me. 

'Cheon Seong Im.' said the nurse. 'We're ready for you.' She says. She nods and thanked her. She stood first. When she saw that he was sitting there unmoving, she held out her hand, asking him to come with her. He abided, took her hands and walked in with her. It was the first time they went to the clinic together so he wouldn't know what to do. The doctor greeted them when they came in. 

The male doctor asked for her symptoms, she was too tired to answer so there was what Kwang Soo was there for. They took her blood so they could run some tests. They waited outside for thirty minutes to let them run it. When their thirty minutes were over, they came back into the doctor's office. 

'Is there something wrong with me?' She asked, she was feeling  a bit better. 

The doctor smiles. 'You're fine, healthy. You're doing great.' He kept smiling. 

'So it's just indigestion or something?' She asked, Kwang Soo kept silent and let her do all the talking. 

'No, no. All of that vomiting and the lightheadedness comes, because you  need to eat for two from now on. Congratulations.' It took her awhile to digest what the doctor said. 

'What do you mean, eating for two?' 

'You're six weeks pregnant, Song Ji Hyo-ssi.' The doctor said. She felt like everything tuned out in mute. She looked at Kwang Soo, who was stunned as she was, and looked at doctor again. 

'This must be a mistake. Wait.' She counted the days. She has been missing her period, she thought maybe she's just a bit late. When she thinks about it, she counted the days. She helds her temple, puts her face on the palm of her hands. She has thought of the days, all the possibility that could add up to this. There was that one day, a few days after the housewarming party. 

'I'll give you a few moments for the two of you. Then I'll brief you about what should you do next.' He says and she nods. The doctor left the room. 

'Lee Kwang Soo-ssi, I told you to be careful.' She says. 'What the hell am I going to do now?' She says. 'I have Running Man, and all that lot. I can't be pregnant. No, no, no, I can't be.' She puts her hand on her stomach. 'I can't take care of you, not right now.' She talked as if Kwang Soo was not even there. 

'Noona.' 

'Don't talk to me right now, Kwang Soo.' She says. She could feel her tears welling up. 'I can't do this. What does he mean I'm pregnant? What am I going to do now?' She says. 

But then Kwang Soo speaks, in a stern low voice. 'Do you actually believe I'm going to let you do this alone, noona?' She looks at him. 

She smiles, a wicked, twisted smile. 'Lee Kwang Soo, you're not the one who's carrying a being in your cervix. I am. Not you. I'm the one who's pregnant, not you.' She says hastily. 'What the am I going to do now?' She stands, aims for the door and closes the door behind her.