Putting Past In The Past

Downing Today, Drowning Tomorrow

Talking to Lee Kwang Soo made Song Ji Hyo reminded of one thing, and one thing only. How tired she was. She understood now, she scoured the whole of Seoul, running and sometimes finding books is because it has been less tiring now than it did before that she needs to be tired down. Being with Lee Kwang Soo was relentlessly tiring. Everything is tiring to her. Even having a simple conversation with him turns into a fight. The only reason why she didn't want to be with Lee Kwang Soo was not because he cheated, it was not because of her lost baby. It was simple, she was just tired. Being with Lee Kwang Soo made her feel obsessed with what he thinks of her, and she was constantly trying to feel like she needs to make sure that he's settled. 

And that for the most part, had made her lost herself. 

They were quiet for a long time. Lee Kwang Soo felt like he needed a cigarette, a habit he had picked up again once Song Ji Hyo left. He took an ashtray from the kitchen, dangled a cigarette in between his lips. 

'You smoke now?' She asked, breaking the silence. He lit it with a blue Zippo lighter. 

'Yes, I do now. What? Do you want one?' 

Song Ji Hyo, obviously, has never had a cigarette before. Her dad smoked, and sometimes she would catch Sung Moon smoking too.. but she has never smoked one herself. 'I decline.' She says. He jerked his shoulders. 

'Suit yourself.' As usual, even when she was there, Lee Kwang Soo had a talent for making someone's presence almost, completely invisible. 

'I think I should be getting home now. I'll have someone else pick up the papers.' 

'Stay the night.' He says. 

She scoffs. 'No thank you.' 

'Spend the night, and I'll sign the papers in the morning. I promise.' 

'You can have everything I own, everything that I have. I just want one night with you.' He took out his phone, he recorded his words, and sent it to her. 'Do you believe me now?' 

 

 

He had handed her her old clothes. Her old pajamas, short bottoms and a baggy t-shirt. He was mostly quiet the whole time. She was awfully hungry so he ordered her chicken, and they watched TV together, quietly. He didn't eat, he had his dinner already so she devoured the whole thing alone. For a minute, it felt like they were still married. Song Ji Hyo fell asleep in front of the TV, crumbs from fried chicken on her lap and all over her now that she's fallen asleep, a chicken wing in her hand. 

When you're in love with someone, you don't really miss the . You miss the person as a human being. You miss the way they smell, or how they look when they're asleep. You miss being coddled, you miss the way they laugh and the things they say when you're sad. 

Lee Kwang Soo missed his wife, but what can he do now, now that she doesn't anymore?

He cleaned up the chicken bones, and placed the rest, unfinished ones in the fridge. He picks her up, cradled her into the bedroom. He didn't touch her excessively, she had always slept on her left side, so he was always watching her back. Slowly, she turns, and still in her sleep, she placed her head on his chest. 

'Kwang Soo-ya, I'm cold.' She says, half-asleep. 

Song Ji Hyo is still Song Ji Hyo. But he made her a promise. Unlike his vows, this is something he needs to abide to. He played with her hair, the room dim and cold. Slowly, he spoke. 'If I could change the past, then I would've. And what a shame that is, to have lost the person I love the most for just a second of hesitation.' He sighs, his tears dropping to her forehead. He wipes it with his thumb. 'If I placed my ego to the side and treated you well, you might have been happier right, noona?' 

His sigh heavier this time, 'but I didn't do so, and you got hurt. And I don't how to tell you how sorry I am for the things I've done.' He kissed her head lightly a few times, then his cheeks. And he stops there. She was no longer his to keep. 

She made up her mind. And there's nothing more that he could do. They spent more time being separated than actually being married. And that's just proof, there's not much that you can do when it is regarding things that happened in the past. The past is in the past. No changing it.