Crippling Silence

Downing Today, Drowning Tomorrow

'Everybody went already?' Dong Wook asked while she sat on the kitchen counter, on one of the twirly chairs. She placed her head on it, she still feels funny. Like she's about to throw up. 

'Yeah. You could leave without doing all of this, you know.' She says. 

'I could, but I haven't met you in such a long time. You never call, you never text. It seems like you're just off in your own world sometimes.' He says, he continued to do the dishes. 

'Dong Wook-ah.' She calls. He turns to face her. 'I am in trouble.' She utters slowly. And it felt like she was. It was hard. It was hard to face things when it's as complicated as this. In relationships, things has always been easy for Song Ji Hyo. She tries to simplify it in any way she can; this is because she needed it to be understood well. When the relationship is not working, then it was time to part ways. Like Dong Wook and her did. But with Kwang Soo, it was different. It became hard, so hard that it's almost annoying to face. 

But she liked him, and he liked her back. And now she's the one who's hurting him. 

'What's wrong?' Dong Wook wiped his hand on the cloth and stood in front of her. She sat upright. 

'I'm in love with Kwang Soo, Dong Wook-ah.' She utters it slowly, it almost felt like a whisper. But her eyes were starting to well up, and it was ready to burst any time. 

'Lee Kwang Soo?' 

She nods. 

'That's why you never called?' 

She nods again.

He looks at her, somehow out of disbelief. She was his favorite girl, what do you expect? Dong Wook realizes that it was hurting him more than it should. He nods, went back to the dishes and continued to do them. He didn't say a word. This was something else - weird even. He realizes that he has never seen 'in-love' Ji Hyo because he knew her best. She wouldn't just fall for anyone - and Lee Kwang Soo out of all people? Somehow he leaned on the sink, realized that there was one thing he has been thinking. Why couldn't it be me?

'Dong Wook-ah, why aren't you saying anything?' She says. But he doesn't answer. He just kept on wiping plates, stacking them up to be kept in the drawers.She should have gotten herself a dishwasher, but since she lives alone - there was no point to it.

Lee Dong Wook remembered how much fun they had together. She remembered staying up all night, with his hand under her shirt while they watch TV in his bedroom. He remembered how she would kiss him out of nowhere, and her hair would small like peaches and vanilla. He remembers how she would watch him cook, and sometimes would place her arms around him silently. He knows everything about her, everything about Seong-hee and the things she does during college. He knows all of that. 

So why couldn't they make it work?

Song Ji Hyo realizes that Dong Wook didn't want to listen to her, she knows because this has happened before when they had a big row in the past. He was the type of guy who would stay silent when they're angry. And it was scary even. Dong Wook who was like an ahjumma, in silence. His shoulders tense, his jaw clenched up. 

She stood and touches his shoulder. He flinches. 

'Why are you angry?' She asked him. 

'I'm not.' He says. 

'So why aren't you talking to me?' She asks. Somehow her tears dropped one by one, it was hard to keep it in. Sometimes you just feel like crying because things get hard. 

He finally turns to face her. 'Because,' He wipes her tears with the back of his fingers. 'These tears, were never for me.' He utters slowly, he could hear his voice cracking. 

'What do you mean by that?' 

He sighs. He was done with the dishes. He walked away, and grabbed his coat. 

'Dong Wook-ah, what aren't you telling me?' She asked. 

'Never mind, Song Ji Hyo.' He says, wearing his coat. 

'Why wouldn't you just tell me? Dong Wook-ah!' She raised her voice, something she never does unless she was joking around. But the situation was tense, and they both were too. 

Abruptly, Dong Wook got angry. He walked towards her, his hands touching her face harshly but still he managed to make sure he doesn't her. 'Because we never worked out! And I am angry because of that. You never fought for me, and it hurts my ego. So what are you going to do now, Song Ji Hyo, when you are crying for a guy because he's hurt that I kissed you. But in the past, when I said I'm leaving, you never said you'd want me to stay. So let's just say goodbye for tonight, and we'll talk later.' He says, letting her go. 

It wasn't because things were hard. It wasn't because he wasn't good looking. But her heart wasn't into him as much as she wanted it to. She tried hard, but he doesn't move her like he should. It was annoying, trying to check for holes in a relationship. Like when you hear wind blowing from a car window but still, it's fully shut. 

'But right now, I need somebody.' She says. 'You're my bestfriend, Dong Wook-ah. You're singlehandedly the only person I talk to the most in a lifetime. I want to feel how warm you are, and I want to cry so hard on your shoulders, I'll feel like my spine will split in half. You're not going to be that person for me?' She asks, wiping her tears with the back of her hand. 

Doubt. 

Everything leads up to doubt. He wasn't answering, and she's not planning to wait either. 

'Go home, Dong Wook-ah.' She says, and she goes back to the living room set. She's waiting for queue, for him to leave and for her to cry her eyes out.

And instead, he came back. He took her in, and she placed her head on his shoulders. And it was warm, as expected.

It was the first time Lee Dong Wook has ever heard her cry that much - and it broke his heart knowing that she wasn't his.