Nouvelle

Downing Today, Drowning Tomorrow

Life comes out with a lot of outcomes. A lot of possibilities, a lot of consequences, a lot of mistakes. 

And today's outcome, is something unexpected of Song Ji Hyo. Song Ji Hyo slips on a white dress, tight on the bottom and just above her knees. Collar that shows off her well-defined shoulders, and exposing her slightly. An elegant sea blue necklace, and her hair done up. Her stilletos matched her necklace, and so does her hook earrings. She draped on a long coat, the autumn air was chilly and she didn't want to get cold. 

She was ready. She was ready to set the past where it belongs; in the past. Lee Dong Wook is calling, he's already downstairs. Still scared, but she makes her way to the elevator. Sung Moon is working, he has his own projects now. People are recognizing him, as an actor, not 'Song Ji Hyo's brother'. It is time to put Lee Kwang Soo behind. 

When she arrived, her presence is of a movie star. She was beautiful, and tonight, she looked much more polished. She does, definitely, look older. But like wine and cheese, they are much, much better aged. 

'You look beautiful.' He says, he couldn't get his eyes off her. His eyes were on the road, but if he could steal just a few seconds to look at her, he took it without thinking much. 

She smiled shyly. Lee Dong Wook somehow forgot about himself, he looked nice in a black turtle neck, a jacket and khakis. He looked simple and casual, just like her. But in his eyes, she looked like she's about to walk the red carpet. In his eyes, she has always been his. No matter who is she with, no matter how much distance is between them - she is still Dong Wook's Song Ji Hyo. 

They went to a French restaurant in downtown Gangnam. Dong Wook wanted everybody to know that she's with him now. The press has been quiet for a while now, and now is the time for them to talk again. He has been waiting for this moment in a very long time, and he is not going to wait any further. Song Ji Hyo doesn't seem to have any complaints, so that gives him the green light, somehow. 

Tomorrow, everyone will start talking. And he won't be the coward this time. 

 

 

Lee Dong Wook reserved a table, hidden away from all the faces, from the press. Song Ji Hyo doesn't really care in this point. All she wants to think about is herself and her date. The course was already picked out, the place fancy and people are speaking in hushed tones. As soon as they sat down, bread and they start to pick wine to start. The five course dinner was going to be long. The food is going to be little, the plates are going to be large and the check is going to be bigger. Dong Wook didn't mind. He has enough to go on, he has all the luxury in the world for the woman he truly loves. The course starts with aligot, mashed potatoes with melted cheese on top and garlic, served with bread. Song Ji Hyo reminded herself of the beauty of food she certainly forgot. It was time for her to start new things, and this is one of it. 

The mashed potatoes melted in her palate like butter. The soft potatoes and subtle hints of garlic and cheese made her feel like she was floating. Paired with cabernet sauvignon, it cleans her palate for the next course perfectly. 

'I think the place has 2 Michelin starts, I don't know.' He says, smiling at her wonderful girl. Elegant in that dress, but when it comes to food, the inner-child in her shines through. Both of their plates cleaned off and their new course comes, a deconstructed coq au vin. The broader she smiles, the more he fell for her. 

'I understand why,' she says, laughing. 'I haven't gone out like this, in a very long time. So thank you, Dong Wook-ah.' She adds. 

'Everything was easy, so don't worry about it.' 

'I don't think it's easy if this place has 2 Michelin stars to get in.' 

'It's easy compared to trying to take you out.' She felt like he's different today, he's unlike any other day. He's much more serious than he was before. 

'Are you okay, Dong Wook-ah?' She asks him, she touches his hand slightly but then he pulled his hand away, surprised by her touch - knocking the wine glass. The waiters prompt, he apologized excessively. He didn't feel good, probably he was just too nervous. Even he hadn't met her in a very very long time. 

'I'm sorry. I'm really sorry.' He says, somehow she formed a smile on her lips. 

'Good to see you're still you. Still as clumsy as ever.' 

'Well speak for yourself.' He says, scratching the back of his head. They sat at the empty table outside, since the private room was getting cleaned - wine everywhere. The main course came, Blanquette de Veau, served in mini pots - shows how rustic the whole dish is. It is veal ragout, served with asparagus and capsicum cooked with souvide. 

She was so involved with the dish, and all Lee Dong Wook wanted was to talk. But then she looked like she was in another place, he didn't want to pull her down. She focused on eating through the fourth course, and he decided it was time to talk on the fifth - dessert. She looked easier to talk to, since she wanted to marvel on the dessert with someone. 

'Ji Hyo-ah.' Eventually she stops eating, giving him her full attention. 'I love you.' That caught her off guard. She's glad she stopped eating, she'd probably choke on her dessert. 

'I know.' She says, laughing to herself. How ballsy. 'But I want to know why.' 

'Because you've been my best friend for the longest time.' He says. 'And I want to be with my best friend, and I can't guarantee that you won't get hurt if you're with me, but then I could guarantee that I'll be there for you, and that's all I can promise you.' 

He pauses. 

'I've waited and I've loved you, and I don't really want anybody but you in this point, so does that prove something?'