Barbecue Night

Downing Today, Drowning Tomorrow

themedicalscholar: Hello everyone. It's me again. I'm here to respond to one of the lovely @spartace_suki's lovely comments. Seriously, you bring out the best of me. As I told you, I don't really mind writing for a small group, it feels like we're a group of friends and are just sharing stories and ideas. And why would I need a lot of readers when I have you guys lifting my spirits and making sure that I am consistent? And I already told you, I will see this story to the end and when I end it, it's going to end with a nice bang. And secondly, you are making me shy.. I think I wanted this to be enjoyable for the readers even if I am sometimes stuck and I don't know what to write. And I have really good siblings too, so you can thank them. And thirdly, Song Ji Hyo is a cool woman! I mean, every time I watch Running Man, my eyes are always on her. This is just my presentation of her in my own sense, and I try to honor that for her. Anyways, please, keep enjoying my story and I'll apologize prior if a chapter or this story disappoints you. But I'll try my best to impress and entertain all of your reading needs, after all I am a fanfiction reader as well - I'll give you what I want from an author. This has been long, but be healthy, and stay safe. Don't forget to subscribe, vote and most of all, comment! God, I love you guys. Xox

 

For Lee Kwang Soo, getting ready isn't actually a big deal. Up until the point which he needed to fill in the invitation to Song Ji Hyo's barbecue party. He has seen her brother in the past, but never have talked to him. But it seems like he will have the chance to do that today, maybe be in his good side anyways. He had thought about what Ji Hyo asked him the other day, about what he wanted from her. He thought about it long and hard, and it wasn't that he wanted to own her. But he would like to watch her grow, stay by her side and protect her as much as he could. And that would most probably lead to a relationship developing. 

But Kwang Soo has thought of the dynamics of the relationship. He has thought about how things might not be as good as it is now. What if she notices that she could do better without me? The thoughts that whirl in his mind was not kind, but he couldn't avoid it even if he wanted to. It was normal, that is what happens when you care about someone. You would be afraid of what's going on with her. And then you realize, you want to know what's going on in their head. Kwang Soo understood the part of life where we want to understand other people, but it doesn't mean that you're going to understand them. You can spend a lot of time, so much time with each other, but still know nothing about what is going on inside their heads. 

But he knows better not to think about such possibilities when Ji Hyo asks him about that. But it does mean that Song Ji Hyo no longer looks at him like a kid, and actually looking at him as a prospect. Even so, the doubt is still there and as always, he is still scared less thinking of how she is slipping away from him. 

He stopped thinking about her for a moment, decided to resume later and got dressed. He dressed appropriately, pair of light blue skinny jeans and a white tee, he looked decent enough topped with a suit. But he decided to ditch the suit, and go for a cap put on to the back instead - it made him look casual instead. It was almost time for him to leave the house, but he was in no rush, the rush hour has depleted and time is passing by slowly with the smooth traffic, things are going to be fine. 

 

 

'Noona, Gary-hyung is here. He brought Gil with him.' Seong-hee yells from the front door when she asked him to rush and see who it is. It was only six thirty, so Gary was early - as always. The one that who was always late was her. She could hear them chatting, but she continued to cook anyways. She decided to cook two dishes today, ginseng chicken and chicken and vegetable stew that she looked the recipe from the Internet and have tried only once. The ginseng chicken is supposed to be eaten in spring, but it seemed fitting since it's a warm dish for a getting-colder weather. 

'Wow, Song Ji Hyo, you look like a mother!' Gary joked around when he came to greet her in the kitchen, so did Gil. 'I hope you don't mind me bringing Gil.' Gary excuses himself. 

'Of course not, I have so much food to finish so the more the merrier.' She says. She hugged both Gary and Gil, thanking them for coming. 

'Gil-ssi, our Seong-hee is a big fan of yours.' She says. 

'Our?' Seong-hee places himself in the conversation. 'Are you mom or something?' He says, sulking for being treated like a kid. 

'I would kill to have a sister like her, kid, so be grateful what you have.' Gil says, backing her up. She laughs, but she rushed back to the stove - she continues to cook. 

'Yeah, she used to bully me a lot when we were kids. Noona's power is no joke, please do not fall for her motherly charade.' 

They all laughed, listening to Seong-hee's chatter and Song Ji Hyo gave her a look and messed his hair up. 

'We bought the beer, so I'm just going to place it outside.' 

The outside was already dark but the little lights from the LED lights that Ji Hyo asked Seong-hee to hang. She also had little candles to be lit on the picnic table on the large balcony. It was the perfect setting for barbecue. Such a pity that she would only do this one in a lifetime. Not even for New Years, not even for her birthday. The sliding balcony doors slid open, exposing the whole living room to the beauty of the view. She left the stew and chicken ginseng on the stove to cook while she asked Gary to help her take out some new pretty plates that she kept for special occasions. Funny enough, it was the first time she has ever taken it out. She didn't even do a housewarming party, finally these plates and utensils have filled it's purpose of extinction in her house. 

'Ji Hyo-ya, I have never seen your house this pretty.' Gary says, while setting up the table. Gil was helping Seong-hee set up the barbecue, they were chattin amongst themselves. It's nice to see that her brother is socializing well with others. Back home, they used to be really close. And Seong-hee apparently went on sulking more for two, three years after she moved out to focus on her career. It was heartbreaking, since she really did care for him. She's not even that close to her youngest sibling since she was born latest. 

But to make Seong-hee happy, it was enough for her. She even considered him studying here instead of back in their hometown. Of course, it would be fun if she had her brother as a roommate and probably wouldn't feel as lonely, but she didn't want to do it for her own satisfaction because she felt guilty. 

'I bought it for the view, I think it's amazing since it overlooks the Han river and the entire city.' She says. She excuses herself and got ready. It was nearly seven, and Lee Dong Wook told her that he was coming 7-ish. And guests were already there, she was quite embarrassed to appear with simply tee and denim shorts in front of them, but she couldn't do anything but blame herself. She got ready quickly, but tried her best to appear the best she could. She took a short shower, blowed her hair and wore a pair of jeans and a pretty blouse, she looked presentable but still, very casual since it was a barbecue after all. She tied her hair in a tight bun, with the front of her hair fringing her forehead. She wore thin make-up, just covering the circles under her eyes, and a bit of contouring and light lipstick. 

By the time she came out, they were all silently staring at her. They wanted to tell her how great she looked. Seong-hee that was minding the stew complimented his sister. She asked him to set up the little stove outside so it can be warm while they ate. By the time it was seven, Jaesuk and Sukjin came with fruits as a dessert, even though she had some custard in the fridge. Dong Wook came with a bottle of French wine. Haha came around after that, with Byul and Dream with him. And by the time the clock struck 8, Lee Kwang Soo came, a bit embarrassed that the whole place was filling up with people. The Commander came last, he, also brought fruits with him. 

It was a fun atmosphere, light music was at the background and they had a lot of fun talking and drinking with each other. Everybody knew that she was avoiding drinks, and nobody coerced her to drink too. 'Yah, Ji Hyo-ya, you always know how I like my stew!' Yoo Jae Suk says when she placed the ramyun into the pot. 

'I know how you like it oppa. You're like a kid, you better share with Dream, it's not all yours.' 

Meanwhile. Kwang Soo was just working the grill, pretending not to be there. It's not as if he was not impressed. All of these, was not an easy feat to cook. Even he knew that much. But speaking now, trying to talk to her would make the whole situation a bit tensionised. He talked to Seong-hee, and he was a pretty cool guy. He was very much like his sister. And looking at Song Ji Hyo, she looks like a dream. He reminds her every day of how much of a work of art she is. All of the voices in his head kept talking again. 

What in the world, will I ever do, to deserve her?