Returning The Ring

Downing Today, Drowning Tomorrow

Song Ji Hyo went back to her home feeling a bit empty. Almost as soon as possible, she missed the people around her - she missed home. Not this kind of home, her home. The home that her mother is cooking in the kitchen, sometimes peeling potatoes up front. She missed her dad in the lazy chair, watching TV or reading the newspaper. She missed having fun with Seonghee, scouring town. She liked everything about her hometown, but at the same time, nothing about it. Her family was at times stifling for her. It was late at night when she came back to her empty apartment, she checked for messages. It was kind of sad, her answering machine almost had nothing. But then, the person that she needed to meet, got to her. 

Ji Hyo-ya, it's me. Call me when you're back here. I know I shouldn't say this, but I miss you. And I'm just, nothing without you.

The thought that she had was, did he really miss me? And do I miss him? It's funny, being an actress. People see you on TV, sometimes over and over again, but when you come back home and the home is quiet, it is really ironic. 

She called him. After the first ring, he answered. 

'Ji Hyo-ya.' He says. 'You back home?' He asked. 

There was an utterless silence between them. 

'Hello?' He says. 

'Yeah, I'm home.' 

'Do you want to meet by tomorrow?'

'I have a shoot, tomorrow morning. Do you want to go and grab lunch?' 

'Where?' 

'The usual.'

The stew place she loved going, that would be the usual for them. 

'Alright.' He answers. 'See you tomorrow?' He asked. 

'See you tomorrow.' 

The thing was, when she went to sleep, she didn't feel nervous at all. Probably because she's well-rested, but seriously, she felt like she had no worries at all

 

 

After the shoot, she realized she was late. She was supposed to be there by one, and now she's still at SBS for the shoot. She excused herself when she realized it was getting later and she thanked them for their work. Dong Wook was already there, and of course, he would order for her - since he knew what she wanted. He ordered her a bowl of seafood stew, and the one she liked the most. 

'I'm so sorry.' She says. 

'I haven't waited that long.' 

She looked at her wristwatch, she was 45 minutes late. She knew Dong Wook, and he was never once late. So that means, he lied. But she shuts up about it, there's no use of being kind right now. 

'How have you been?' He asked her while they ate. 

She shrugs. 'I'm okay. You?' 

'A bit of a mess, somehow I kept thinking about you lately.' 

Dong Wook is honest, He never lies about anything, and she liked that about him. She liked that he was tender, almost never gets annoyed or mad. If she had another life, and she didn't feel like this about Kwang Soo, of course she would have picked him. But life, sometimes doesn't come too fair. 

She didn't say anything about his remark. But she stopped eating, then placed the ring that he gave her back then. The wedding bang encrusted with beautiful, shiny diamonds. She knew how much time he would have given, trying to pick out one that she liked. Minimalistic, elegant and modern, he chose well. She slides the ring to him. 

'I'm sorry, Dong Wook-ah.' 

He took the ring, and took it out of it's box. Then, he kept it back. He gave it back to her. 

'It's not mine to keep.' He says. 

'Of course it's yours to keep. You bought it.' She says. 

'But it was meant to be for you, why would I want to keep it.' 

'Dong Wook-ah.' She was starting to get a bit teary-eyed. 'Don't do this.' 

'We're friends, aren't we, Ji Hyo?' He asks. 

She nods. 'We're friends.'

'Just see this, just look at this as a gift for a friend. We've known each other's pain, and I love you, sometimes more than a friend. So just keep it, it's a gift, since we're parting ways.' He utters, slowly. 'Sell it, give it away, throw it out. It's now yours. It's yours to keep.' He started eating again, and she does too, but she cried while she ate. 

And he lets her. 

She cried while she ate, he settled the bill. He walked her to the car, and even then, she was still crying. 

Before he lets her go, he held her. 

'I never noticed how much of a crying baby you are.' He says. 

'I'm just sad, sad for you. If only I hadn't said yes, you wouldn't look at me with those eyes of yours and make me feel sorry for you.' 

He ran his hands on her back, patting her lovingly. 'You made me the happiest man alive, now it's your turn to be at your happiest, Ji Hyo-ya.' He says. 

'But you'll be at your worse.' 

'And so I will be. I can handle it.' He says, laughing. 'Be happy, Ji Hyo, we're still friends. I'll still be here for you, for better and for worse. I'll be okay, I'll be fine.' 

When she lets go, she kissed his cheeks. And he did the same to her. She doesn't know why they shouldn't still be friends. They were friends first before they ever were lovers, or before they ever were dating. She could see him in her rearview mirror, he squatted on the road hiding his face. He would never know how sorry she is, and she would never know how much he loved her. But right then, seeing how he is fading, she knew a little bit about it. That Lee Dong Wook, would have given everything for her. 

But right now, she leaves. The next stop, and she silently wishes that it was the last. 

Lee Kwang Soo's place.