Don't Worry About Me

Downing Today, Drowning Tomorrow

It has been a while since she last saw Kwang Soo. If she counted right, it would have been two months already. She has adapted to life without him, as she was supposed to. Every time she felt sad about it, she would drink with her brother. But she didn't want it to get to her, and she didn't want to become an alcoholic; she decides to keep herself occupied with work and friends. What is bugging her the most is people asking her about Kwang Soo, the press catching up to her; trying to squeeze stories out of her and her friends. But all kept quiet, keeping her privacy in safe hands. 

Most of the time, she would find herself in odd times at night, feeding stray cats. Her hair tucked into a thick jacket, it is fascinating of how little people notice you when you have subtle changes to your everyday self. Every now and then people do recognize her, they would ask for a picture and she'd oblige however she would politely ask them not to post them online. Most of them obliged, some of them didn't. However, as fast as people could track her, she was faster. 

She would find herself in the library, scouring books. People have a certain goal to reach in the library, most of them keep to themselves. She would sit in a corner, deep in the - sometimes university library's - corner and read. Sometimes she would log onto the net with a pair of earphones, listening to music or watch movies. They were common things that she could have done at home, but being in the presence of another group of people somehow gave her some peace. From a distance, she would look like just another college student, it was like hiding in plain sight. If she knew how invisible she would have been to others in the outside world, she would have done it sooner. 

Most of the time her phone would be turned off. These times, these points in her life that she has never been through, all she wanted was to be alone in her own state of mind. Everyday Lee Kwang Soo would text her how sorry he is, but at the end of the night, before he falls asleep - a simple goodnight is something he would never miss. 

It would be a lie if she said she didn't miss him. But what he did was something that she can't forget. Every time she wants to drift asleep, that is all she could think about. His body is matched with another woman's, their bodies tangling up with each other, their mouths interlock in a deep kiss - things that he usually do to her. To add it all to her pain, he would be under his breath, calling out another woman's name. 

That is not something you could just forget. However all that she could do was to forge ahead. She needs to forgot how numb she feels when she things of those things. Her mind sometimes go adrift just because of those things. So she would rather stay up in the middle of the night, keep herself occupied with the not-so-busy time of the night. When she was really tired, so tired her eyelids could barely hold up, she goes back home. Her brother would be passed out either on the living room floor, waiting for her, or he'd give up and snooze in bed. Sometimes, only on very tiring days, he would be asleep in his own bed. That was how worried he was with his noona. 

When the clock reaches 12, she goes back home. She doesn't turn on the light since the kitchen light is open. She takes off her jacket, puts it on a hook, her shoes kept well in the drawer. Slowly, she crept inside, her brother sleeping on the sofa. She drops her keys on the bowl, keeping other keys, and the sound woke Sung Moon up. 

'You're back?' He says, as he jolts upward. He rubs his eyes, he turns off the TV that was on mute the whole time. He check the time on the digital watch against the wall, 'You're early.' 

'Found myself sleepy all of the sudden.' She says. 'Have you eaten?' 

'Yeah, I ate with friends. Have you? We can order chicken if you'd like.' He knows himself how much his noona loves food. But her tough body has lost some of it's weight, she's getting thinner. Probably because she's not getting enough sleep. All she does is either work, meet friends, or wander around the city. Even Sung Moon does not really know about her newly-found hobby. 

'It's okay, I don't think I'm hungry.' She speaks softly. 

'Are you sure?' 

She gave him a simple nod. 'I'm sure.' 

'Noona..' He says. She went to the kitchen and got herself some plain ice cold water. 'Can I ask you a favour?' He asked. He approaches her, and sit on the island counter. 

'What is it, Sung Moon-ah?' She says, cleaning the glass after she used it. 

He takes a deep breath and spoke. 'Could you turn on your phone whenever you're out at night? I'm concerned. You should at least tell me where you are.' He displays his concerns. 'I don't think it's good, for a lady like you to be out so late at night.' Sung Moon never really said anything about her habits, this was the first time so she was taken aback. 

'I'll try.' She says. If it throws out some of his burden, somehow, she would do it. Sometimes Sung Moon would stay up all night for her. Sung Moon took Kwang Soo's place, since he knew how much of a hard time that she's having. She's not completely alright, these couple of months. He didn't want her to go back to Kwang Soo, but thinking that he is by law, her husband, should she ask for divorce instead? If people knew what he did to her, it would probably end Kwang Soo's career. Everybody knows, this industry is far from forgiving. One scandal like this, his women starts giving statements, and that's that for him. Even Sung Moon, fresh off the press, knows this. 

She was going to go back to her room, but Sung Moon stopped her. 'Noona, can I ask you something?' He asked her, his voice sorry and empathic. 

'Yeah?' 

'Are you okay?' He isn't finished with his question. 'Are you really, really, okay?' 

She breaks into a soft smile. 'Of course I am, don't worry about me.' 

The question is, what he's thinking of, how could he not be?