The Man At The Gym

Downing Today, Drowning Tomorrow

themedicalscholar: Again, happy new year guys! I am so happy for you guys' love and support for this fanfic since sometimes I do doubt myself. Anyways, to @Girin_lover, it's my pleasure, really. @spartace_suki, I really enjoy writing so it's not a big deal anyways. Distance, does help in a relationship. I'm playing with this story, and I hope you think that I'm playing with it well. Please keep wondering, because it's going to be one hell of a ride :D and @MikaelaWish, happy new year to you too! I hope you have a good year ahead of you! @MrsStar, it's always a pleasure reading your comments. And back in chapter 58, you told me that she was being rash with her decisions and she's not taking her time. But I was her once, well I am basing this story on experience, but when it came to your feelings with someone, you do kind of act like that sometimes. But don't worry, this is just the tides before the calm sea. And finally @feathertail1203, I feel honored to be your first comment - seriously. I am delighted that you 'freaking' love this story haha I hope I can meet your expectatio even in the future. I am glad that your heart is breaking because so did mine when I wrote the chapter. 

Anyways, you guys, I hope you have had a good year and another great one this 2016. Please, remember to subscribe, vote and most of all, comment! That's the first thing I read once I wake up so, please, delight me haha. I love you guys so, much love xox

 

Lee Kwang Soo went to the gym as soon as he came back from his fan signing. He thought as he had entered the empty gym, that it was nice that everything was a little bit quiet. Just a guy on the treadmill running, and also the manager sleeping on the desk upfront. It was late at night, and his gym did not reside anybody famous so it was calming at night. Unlike Jong Kook's regular gym that was crawling with celebrities, this one was just quiet. No chit-chat, and that was the way he liked it. He took the treadmill two places away from the other guy. A thin guy, but not as tall as he was. He puts on his earphones that was linked to his iPod, and started running. It was Gary-hyung's new album, 2002 that he had just bought the other day and added to his iTunes. He can't really do anything but feel proud of his hyung, because the album was excellent. 

But then he realized that someone was talking to him, then he slowed down his treadmill and pulled off his headphones. It was the other guy on the treadmill. He was drinking but he was standing next to him. 

'Lee Kwang Soo, right?' The guy asked. Finally Lee Kwang Soo stopped running. 

'Yeah.' He merely says. 

'I'm sorry to ask you this, since, you were running, but can you help me with the sets?' He asked. He took out his hand to shake. 'I'm Park Joo Won.' Kwang Soo took his hand and shook it. 

'Sure.' 

They went to the bench presses and without speaking, they helped each other. Kwang Soo thought he wanted to stop doing presses, since he didn't have enough fat to turn into muscle anyways. But today, he made an exception, since Joo Won, the guy he just met, didn't want to do it alone. 

'Lee Kwang Soo-ssi.' He called him. 

Kwang Soo raised his eyebrows as he lifted the dumb bell up. 'Yes?' 

'Have you always been this thin?' He asked. 'I have seen you on TV, but it seemed like you're much thinner in real life.' They stopped for a water break. It wasn't bad to chat while having their water break. 

'No. This is just something that happened recently.' Lee Kwang Soo answers. 'Do you come to this gym often?' 

'No, I just moved into the area. But I subscribed here, so..' Joo Won says, scratching the back of his head. 'The something happened recently, made you turn into this?' He asked. 

Lee Kwang Soo merely shrugged. 

'Girl problems?' Joo Won asked again. 

'Somewhat.' He says. 'Why, are you a reporter?' He suspected. 

Joo Won laughed, 'No. It's because you were on the treadmill for so long, and I was just watching you. I asked myself, isn't that guy tired? I remembered the last time I was that guy, I was in your same situation. With my girlfriend though.' Joo Won explained. 

'I wasn't up on that for too long, twenty minutes, top.' Lee Kwang Soo says.

'Are you kidding me?' He was baffled. 'You've been up there for an hour, I think more, since I started to keep tabs when I stopped. That's why I asked you to do bench presses with me, because I know if I don't, you won't stop running.' 

Lee Kwang Soo didn't realize that. Well, there are some things that happen these past few days that made his time appear smaller than it was. Like he would spend his time on the internet, looking up something and finally he realized he was just staring at the screen. Or sometimes when he drives, he would miss some exits. Then he realized, he was in trouble. Like seriously, in trouble. This was what Jong Kook meant, he was out of it. He really was. 

'You're bewitched by a woman, didn't you?' Joo Won says, he leaned back. 'I know because I was you once. Everybody has been. So out of it, time feels like it's compressed, sometimes it feels like it's not moving at all.' 

'I'm fine. Nothing bewitched me.' 

He chuckled. 'I was like that too, how funny. You actually reminded me of myself.' 

'Did you get over it?' Kwang Soo asked. 

'Get over it?' He laughs again. 'If it's some neighborhood girl, then, I would have gotten over it. What do you think I'm doing, moving into a new place that's so ing expensive? I'm running away from her. I guess even a celebrity doesn't have it any different. I used to be like that, but I was getting fat - the opposite of you,' he chuckles again. 'Everything I did was done mindlessly. But that's how the mind copes with sadness, it just becomes out of it sometimes. But you need to start asking yourself if you want to continue living this way. Of course, I still can't go to dates, but I'm not in such a daze anymore. I still think about her, but I try not to. Man, that took my heart away from me to her grave.' He says. 

Lee Kwang Soo raised his eyebrows. 'She died?' 

He nods. 'If you're out of it as this, that means you care for her as much as I did for her. Lee Kwang Soo-ssi, if she's still alive unlike my girl, then try hard to get her back. If you don't, you'll find yourself feeling like you're gasping for air, and the emptiness you feel now, won't go away. If you feel this much for someone, that she fills your head like deadly gas, then do anything to get her back. Because most probably, probably, she must be feeling the same thing too. Well, unless she's in dirt.' He chuckles. Funny man, Park Joo Won was, Kwang Soo thought to himself. How could he talk about something so serious, but still chuckle his way as he speaks?

'Do you think you'll get over her?' Kwang Soo asked. 

He laughs again. 'What's to go over? Going over someone is something you do when someone is alive. But once someone dies, they follow you. I know, it's pointless to think about the dead, that's what my mom said to me. That the living is not for the dead. But she took my heart, and since she's dead, I can't get it back.' 

He looked at the man, he looked okay. He has tough shoulders, and a lean body - probably since he goes to the gym a lot. If anybody would have just watched him, they would have had no idea. But if you look at him now, talking about his girl, maybe even as he hides his pain behind the occasional laughter - somehow he felt sorry for him. Because he could go back to her, but he couldn't. 

'God is mean sometimes, don't you think?' Joo Won says. 'But we're formidable. So it's okay. We can be mad, we can curse him, and be angry all we want. But we can't really do anything about it.

Time was getting later, and they both bid goodbye. They exchanged contacts, and decided to be gym buddies. 

As Kwang Soo shook his hand before he left, Park Joo Won spoke. 'Look at yourself. Ask yourself, is this the kind of person you'd like to be. You'd be surprised when you realize that even your body doesn't want you to be like this. Take care of your health, Lee Kwang Soo-ssi, your body is struggling hard to make you stay alive. It's time to listen to it. Even if you love this girl, and I know you do, it's yourself that you have to live with.' 

As Joo Won went out through the entrance, he turns and waved him goodbye. Such a nice guy. Lee Kwang Soo looks at the studio mirror, he finally looked at himself sincerely. I need to work again. I need to sleep again. I need to eat again. Like Jong Kook-hyung said, I need to be here again.