Laundry and a Half-Decent Omelette

Downing Today, Drowning Tomorrow

Lee Kwang Soo post Song Ji Hyo starts his morning like this. He wakes up around 8:30 in the morning, he takes a long, hot shower and makes himself coffee and an omelette (Song Ji Hyo's far better, he doesn't know what she does to it, but it does taste incredibly different from his. What does she put in it? Paprika, or something? He doesn't know). He would scour in his laundry, mixing through the used and unused clothes. It was like he's never been with Ji Hyo, his wardrobe a mess, he's wearing mismatched socks. Today, in one foot, a maroon-coloured one, with soft white dots, and another a plain grey. Song Ji Hyo has always been good with laundry. Her cooking was once okay, but she's gotten better at it. But for laundry, she does it splendidly, no socks left unmatched. The laundry always smelled like rose-scented detergent, and they were all pressed. She would sort the clothes to colour, dark and light in two separate baskets. Whenever he wouldn't do so, she would catch him just once as she walks through the basket aisle. Both of their clothes would be folded neatly, everything would be placed wherever it should be. She took laundry, very seriously. Probably because before, she had a lot of time in her hands. Even when she worked or lived alone, this is how it was and how it will be. The laundry shall be done neatly, and omelettes will be cooked perfectly. 

Then he settles down, in his pile of gifts from honorable fans. Some for Ji Hyo as well. The news about their wedding spread like uncontrollable wildfire. If only the fans knew, would they have piled their presents like this? He would have his coffee, below-average omelette and his Macbook set next to him as he goes through new fan mail. He reads them diligently, but even as his fanbase grew, the only thing he wanted was his wife back. 

He talked to Jong Kook-hyung about what happened before. He got a lot of (including getting slightly roughen up) from his hyung, one particular question grazed his mind. 

'If it was your career and Song Ji Hyo, what would you give up? You can't have both, you can only choose one.' He asks, them having a drink after the shooting. His eyes weren't fixated on anything but the samgyapsal grilling on the barbecue. But he was listening, of course he was. He couldn't afford not to. 

'Why can't I have both? I had both.' Lee Kwang Soo answers. And to Jong Kook it was an arrogant answer. 

'You know what the problem is with you, Kwang Soo, we all love you to bits, but you can bit too arrogant at times. Even your answer was filled with overwhelming arrogance. You can have both, sure, but choosing you made Ji Hyo lose a lot of things. I remember how much she cried in her dressing room when she announced that she was leaving the show, something she was dedicated to for all these years. She bore a child for you, and lost it because of you as well. Why is it, that she had to lose things because of you, but you're not even willing to even answer a hypothetical question from me?' Jong Kook says, in a very stern tone. Behind all the cameras, he has never been this strict with Kwang Soo. 'After you got married to her, I pray to God that I'm not right, you've gotten yourself pretty high and mighty.' 

'That's not true, hyung..' 

'Are you sure what I'm saying is not right?' He asks, with a cocky grimace. 'You had with countless of women, while she takes care of the home and you. You go around, knowing that she won't be in your business because she took you up for your word. Isn't that arrogance? If I had even a half of what you had before you made her disappear, I would be on my knees thankful to the Lord for what he has privileged me with.' 

Kwang Soo didn't say anything for a while. 'Hyung.. can you not be so hard on me right now? I'm upset.' 

'What did you expect? That I'm going to rub your back, nodding off what you did to her? Man the up. You need to be aware of the fact that Song Ji Hyo was, well, is like a sister to me. It probably would have been easier if I didn't know your wife. But your wife is Song Ji Hyo. You should be grateful she didn't plea for a divorce, you'd be ed if she presented evidence to court. She'll strip you off all your possessions, that's what I would do, if I was her.' 

'Jinja, hyung, don't you think you're being a little bit harsh on me?' 

'Jinja, Kwang Soo-ya, don't you think you're being unfair to Ji Hyo?' He answers, mocking his dongsaeng. After he listened to what happened, even he doesn't know if he should call Kwang Soo his dongsaeng anymore. 

Lee Kwang Soo looks at the clock, snapping out from his memory. It was already 10, he finishes up reading his emails, dumps his coffee into the sink, throws away his half-decent omelette and washes the dishes. He goes into the bedroom, and sits on the edge of the bed. On the small table next to bed lies Song Ji Hyo's wedding ring. He stares at it for a while, and sighs softly. He touches the pillows, it was Song Ji Hyo's side of the bed. He smooths the pillow case, the pillow in which her tiny head rests on. Flickers of image comes rushing through his head. Song Ji Hyo still sleeping, her hair smoothed to the side, slightly open, drool dripping through it - she was cute like that. Her cheeks flushed, her eyes tightly shut, she looks like she had no care in the world. Song Ji Hyo waking up, staring at him, her legs draped across his, her hand supporting her head. Every morning she would ask him the same thing, without any misses. 

'Kwang Soo-ya, do you love me?' It wasn't that she was finding assurance, she once said when he asked why, it was just nice to hear. Isn't it good to hear nice things? She would say. 

In the middle of the cold bedroom, piles of laundry - clean and used ones. His voice echoes, 'I do, I really do.' But the rice has turned into porridge, some things are better left as it is and run it's course.